Los Angeles help

PEMCO007

Hi looking at doing a California Coastal cruise out of Los Angeles in April, never been to that area before and are looking at best places to stay. I am looking at a night prior to cruise so somewhere near to port maybe, then we are looking at doing a few days post cruise to do touristy stuff so not sure where the best location to stay is, totally unfamiliar with the west coast x:confused:

Thanks

Assuming you're sailing on Princess or another line out of San Pedro. (Carnival sails out of Long Beach.)

The night before many will stay at the Crown or DoubleTree in San Pedro. Both are almost across the street from the pier.

Need to decide what you want to do in LA. The area is huge. Disneyland? Hollywood? Beaches? Gardens? Museums? (Presidential- there are two nearby, Space Shuttle, Western, Tar Pits, Classical Art etc), Hiking? Broadway plays, Music (Hollywood Bowl). None are really close to one another.

Will you have a car? Public transportation is almost non-existent.

Trip advisor has lots of info.

Edited by SadieN

Hi, yes it will be princess. I am pretty clueless about LAX, as you can tell lol, we are travelling with 2 children so Disneyland may be an option but not a priority as we have done florida many time and this trip is for my 40th so its all about me lol ;). We wouldn't be driving so would have to rely on taxis. Guess I best hit trip advisor and do some research x

LA is huge. Over 4 million people live just in the city itself. It is 468.67 square miles compared to London with is 659 square miles. Then we have LA county :eek:.

Taking a taxi might be more than the cost of the cruise. Traffic is not your friend in LA. As an example, I live around 35 miles from LAX. At good time traffic it takes me around 45 minutes to drive there. With traffic it can take 1-1/2 hours. I live 65 miles from Disneyland. Sunday morning I can get there in around 1-1/4 hours. Going home, without a traffic jam, it will take me a minimum of 1-1/2 hours. With an accident I'm looking at 2 hours. Maybe hire a town car to do point to point travel. Public transportation is a joke.

You really need to decide what you want so you can get a centralized area. I get you don't want to drive here (wrong side of the road and all)

Edited by notentirelynormal

Wow, its hard to comprehend how huge LAX is. I def don't think we will drive, so need to find an area that will suit our needs, I guess I would like to do the movie thing, stars homes that sort of thing, absolute novice at this so need to research a little more. Maybe if we decide to do Disney might be worth hiring a tour company ? not sure if that is an option x

Wow, its hard to comprehend how huge LAX is. I def don't think we will drive, so need to find an area that will suit our needs, I guess I would like to do the movie thing, stars homes that sort of thing, absolute novice at this so need to research a little more. Maybe if we decide to do Disney might be worth hiring a tour company ? not sure if that is an option x

The Universal Studios tour is just over the hill from Hollywood so that may be a good place to get a hotel.

There is a Metro underground line that runs from the Universal Studios area (North Hollywood in the San Fernando Valley) through Hollywood & to downtown LA. There are other Metro underground lines & light rail systems so LA is improving but many are in neighborhoods that do not have much to see & can be unsafe. The Hollywood area is also near the Griffith Park Observatory with great views on a clear day. Post-cruise with Aussie friends who had about 8 hours before flying home that was our 1st stop before driving to places they wanted to see through Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Venice Beach (I avoid Venice because of safety concerns).

I'm quite certain that hotels could set you up with tours or that some tour companies may offer hotel pick up.

If considering staying in the North Hollywood or Hollywood areas there are places that I would not recommend staying. Not sure about your budget but wherever you decide is your best LA option I could let you know my opinion & that others would also have some input for you to consider.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you stay near Universal Studios it's easy access to Hollywood and Union Station/Olvera Street/China Town via the Red Line. One of the few places our public transportation does go to.

From Union Station you could take the Gold Line to Pasadena and walk part of the Rose Parade route.

metro.net has info.

Edited by SadieN

I agree with the others to narrow down what you want to do. You may want to check out your local lending library for a guide book on Los Angeles (we don't call it "LAX" -- that's the airport). I always do that before a trip and then if I need to take a book with, I go to Amazon or some other source for books to buy the latest edition (we also have the Automobile Club which has free guide books to members, and that's where I got material to start planning the road trip my family went on last year...if you have a similar organization that's a good place to go to for info).

There are some tour companies that you can look into (Sunseekers is one mentioned quite often here) that have tours of Los Angeles/Hollywood. The advantage is that they provide the transportation so you don't have to drive and park at each place. Most tours will go to Farmers Market (which is considered one of the top tourist destinations here), the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater (whatever it's called now), maybe go west to the Santa Monica/Venice area or go east to downtown Los Angeles.

For where to stay: pre-cruise stay in San Pedro (where the Port of Los Angeles is) at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza.

For post-cruise, let us know what sites you intend to do (or tours) and the locals here will help guide you to safe and decent possibilities that aren't too far away where you'll want to be.

Hi looking at doing a California Coastal cruise out of Los Angeles in April, never been to that area before and are looking at best places to stay. I am looking at a night prior to cruise so somewhere near to port maybe, then we are looking at doing a few days post cruise to do touristy stuff so not sure where the best location to stay is, totally unfamiliar with the west coast x:confused:

Thanks

Okay, where to start?

First, the populations of "Greater" Los Angeles is now, officially, at around 19 MILLION! (The "City of Los Angeles" comprises only a small portion of this as many of the communities considered within the Los Angeles area are separately incorporated--even though some are enclaves entirely surrounded by the City of LA)...and I say "officially" because undocumented immigrants are mostly uncounted in government census counts...Likely, you are looking at 20 Million PLUS...So, figure well over twice the size of London...

It is VERY spread out...and public transportation is fairly poor...

However, it is possible to navigate most of LA as a tourist, even without a car...

First let's get that one-night pre-cruise out of the way:

If you are cruising on any line but Carnival, get a shuttle, car service or taxi from LAX to a hotel in San Pedro...The best two (and really the only two I would personally stay at) are the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree...The Doubletree has the nicest surroundings--on the Marina...but the Crowne Plaza is the most conveniently located--just a few blocks from the pier and within a block or two of MANY good restaurants...Either of these hotels will shuttle you to the pier in the morning...If you are on Carnival, you are cruising out of Long Beach--stay in Long Beach at the Hyatt Regency, the Hyatt at the Pike or the Renaissance...maybe the Westin...After that, there's the Hilton, Maya Doubletree or the Residence Inn Downtown...and the Queen Mary (a relic...stay there if you want the historical experience--but, i's not all that great as a hotel)...

Okay, for a multi-day post cruise, of course it depends on what you want to do, but my TOP recommendation, especially if you are without a car, is to stay in Santa Monica...in the area near the Santa Monica Pier, Third Street Promenade and Ocean Avenue...It is a bit pricey, but easily the best place to stay on a number of accounts...

Best hotels are: Loews, Marriott Le Marigot, Fairmont Miramar, Shutters at the Beach...Followed by the Casa del Mar, Georgian, Shangri-La, Huntley House, Windham, Doubletree...The Cal Mar is a lesser hotel, but more reasonably priced with a good location...The Le Méridien Delfina is a bit farther of a walk from things and not a great location...

Despite having lived in this area most of my life, I have had the occasion to stay in both the Loews and the LeMerigot and can personally vouch for both--right at the beach with exceptional views if you are on the right side of the hotel...

This area is packed with great stuff to do--it is largely a "walking area" with lots of shops and restaurants and an abundance of street performers. Palisades Park runs along the bluffs overlooking the beach and Pier...The Pier has rides and attractions...Third Street Promenade is a Pedestrian only thoroughfare and a fun place to just stroll around. Venice Beach, with its Boardwalk, Canals, Muscle Beach, etc. is only a mile or two down the coast and can be easily reached with rented bicycles or public bus or taxi or even walked to if you want some exercise

The HOHO bus tour uses Santa Monica as a hub...so, you can buy an All-Day or Multi-Day ticket and use it to travel all the way into Beverly Hills, Hollywood and to Downtown LA (If you really want)...If you just want a more personalized tour, all of the major local tour companies will do pick-ups at the hotels in Santa Monica...

Add in that this is an upscale part of town and that it has some of the best climate in the LA area (mild temperatures, no smog). Another note is that this is the favorite town in the LA area for British expatriates--you'll find some British pubs here (Ye Olde King's Head is right off the Third Street Promenade)...

After Santa Monica, my next recommendation would be Venice Beach/Marina del Rey...There are a few good hotels around Washington Blvd.--the border of the Marina and Venice...Marina del Rey Marriott, Jamaica Bay Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Inn at Venice Beach, Hotel Erwin...Not quite as nice as being up in Santa Monica-- a little more "funky"--at least toward the Venice side...but the HOHO bus has now extended a line to Venice...and the prices are a little lower...

IF you wanted to concentrate on entertainment industry sites--the studios, Universal's theme park and Hollywood itself, stay in the Universal City area--Hilton, Sheraton, Beverly Garland...but you'll be a little more remote from most things and the nightlife is mostly limited to Universal itself...Don't stay in Hollywood itself--a little scuzzy with some strange characters prowling about...but, if you do, keep it very close to the area around Hollywood and Highland--Loews Hollywood and the stately old Hollywood Roosevelt are the top hotels...but, be wary as you venture anywhere out of that immediate area at night...

There are other areas that are nice--but less convenient if you won't have a car...Taxis can be very expensive and hard to find...Public transportation is NOT designed to help the tourist. Don't stay in Downtown LA as there is little there of interest as a tourist...and it can get rather sketchy at night. Don't stay near LAX as there is nothing there but airport-related industrial and distribution stuff--and big chain hotels with hotel restaurants...

Any questions about specifics, just ask...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Okay, where to start?

First, the populations of "Greater" Los Angeles is now, officially, at around 19 MILLION! (The "City of Los Angeles" comprises only a small portion of this as many of the communities considered within the Los Angeles area are separately incorporated--even though some are enclaves entirely surrounded by the City of LA)...and I say "officially" because undocumented immigrants are mostly uncounted in government census counts...Likely, you are looking at 20 Million PLUS...So, figure well over twice the size of London...

It is VERY spread out...and public transportation is fairly poor...

However, it is possible to navigate most of LA as a tourist, even without a car...

First let's get that one-night pre-cruise out of the way:

If you are cruising on any line but Carnival, get a shuttle, car service or taxi from LAX to a hotel in San Pedro...The best two (and really the only two I would personally stay at) are the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree...The Doubletree has the nicest surroundings--on the Marina...but the Crowne Plaza is the most conveniently located--just a few blocks from the pier and within a block or two of MANY good restaurants...Either of these hotels will shuttle you to the pier in the morning...If you are on Carnival, you are cruising out of Long Beach--stay in Long Beach at the Hyatt Regency, the Hyatt at the Pike or the Renaissance...maybe the Westin...After that, there's the Hilton, Maya Doubletree or the Residence Inn Downtown...and the Queen Mary (a relic...stay there if you want the historical experience--but, i's not all that great as a hotel)...

Okay, for a multi-day post cruise, of course it depends on what you want to do, but my TOP recommendation, especially if you are without a car, is to stay in Santa Monica...in the area near the Santa Monica Pier, Third Street Promenade and Ocean Avenue...It is a bit pricey, but easily the best place to stay on a number of accounts...

Best hotels are: Loews, Marriott Le Marigot, Fairmont Miramar, Shutters at the Beach...Followed by the Casa del Mar, Georgian, Shangri-La, Huntley House, Windham, Doubletree...The Cal Mar is a lesser hotel, but more reasonably priced with a good location...The Le Méridien Delfina is a bit farther of a walk from things and not a great location...

Despite having lived in this area most of my life, I have had the occasion to stay in both the Loews and the LeMerigot and can personally vouch for both--right at the beach with exceptional views if you are on the right side of the hotel...

This area is packed with great stuff to do--it is largely a "walking area" with lots of shops and restaurants and an abundance of street performers. Palisades Park runs along the bluffs overlooking the beach and Pier...The Pier has rides and attractions...Third Street Promenade is a Pedestrian only thoroughfare and a fun place to just stroll around. Venice Beach, with its Boardwalk, Canals, Muscle Beach, etc. is only a mile or two down the coast and can be easily reached with rented bicycles or public bus or taxi or even walked to if you want some exercise

The HOHO bus tour uses Santa Monica as a hub...so, you can buy an All-Day or Multi-Day ticket and use it to travel all the way into Beverly Hills, Hollywood and to Downtown LA (If you really want)...If you just want a more personalized tour, all of the major local tour companies will do pick-ups at the hotels in Santa Monica...

Add in that this is an upscale part of town and that it has some of the best climate in the LA area (mild temperatures, no smog). Another note is that this is the favorite town in the LA area for British expatriates--you'll find some British pubs here (Ye Olde King's Head is right off the Third Street Promenade)...

After Santa Monica, my next recommendation would be Venice Beach/Marina del Rey...There are a few good hotels around Washington Blvd.--the border of the Marina and Venice...Marina del Rey Marriott, Jamaica Bay Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Inn at Venice Beach, Hotel Erwin...Not quite as nice as being up in Santa Monica-- a little more "funky"--at least toward the Venice side...but the HOHO bus has now extended a line to Venice...and the prices are a little lower...

IF you wanted to concentrate on entertainment industry sites--the studios, Universal's theme park and Hollywood itself, stay in the Universal City area--Hilton, Sheraton, Beverly Garland...but you'll be a little more remote from most things and the nightlife is mostly limited to Universal itself...Don't stay in Hollywood itself--a little scuzzy with some strange characters prowling about...but, if you do, keep it very close to the area around Hollywood and Highland--Loews Hollywood and the stately old Hollywood Roosevelt are the top hotels...but, be wary as you venture anywhere out of that immediate area at night...

There are other areas that are nice--but less convenient if you won't have a car...Taxis can be very expensive and hard to find...Public transportation is NOT designed to help the tourist. Don't stay in Downtown LA as there is little there of interest as a tourist...and it can get rather sketchy at night. Don't stay near LAX as there is nothing there but airport-related industrial and distribution stuff--and big chain hotels with hotel restaurants...

Any questions about specifics, just ask...

Fab, that's some great info there for me, thank you for taking the trouble to help. Looks like Santa Monica may be the best option for us, no doubt I shall have more questions xx

Additional comments....Santa Monica hotels range from outstanding to some old ones in sketchy or inconvenient locations. Be sure you know what you're getting if you find low-cost lodgings (that goes for the entire LA area). If you're considering a hotel not on Bruin's list, inquire here and locals can comment.

Since LA was the world's first city whose growth was based on the postwar automobile boom, the area is spread out and based on cars...without one you're at a serious disadvantage. Driving from one side of the LA metro area to the other side is a 2-hour drive at freeway speeds. There's decent subway transit in areas of Hollywood, and the Blue Bus system in Santa Monica is good. But nothing close to London's. Taxis are very expensive, consider Uber or Lyft as a convenient and reasonably-priced alternative.

You mentioned homes of the stars....they are generally behind high walls, gates, and lush landscaping. A bus tour is likely to point out "The red roof behind those trees used to be xxxx's house, now he lives in Malibu". And tours are prohibited on some residential streets. The stars want their privacy and have the money to ensure it. It might be better to visit some "golden age" places such as the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel if you're into the historic aspects or visit shopping areas or stores where celebrities are sometimes seen (Bruin can probably recommend those).

Hope this helps!

As for seeing celebs and actors, my experience as a local (all but two year of my life) has been in just being out and about and happening upon them as they live their life (some take their kids to school, buy their own groceries, get their hair done, etc., among the regular people). One actress was known for frequenting mall elevators as her young son loved going up and down and we ran into her that way -- we held the door open for them, but she explained they weren't getting out yet. I've also had a couple of jobs which meant working with those in the film industry and usually actors are much nicer people in general than production assistants.

Years ago a friend and I went on one of those Hollywood tours as a kick, but many of the houses highlighted on that tour were known as former houses of the famous, and became houses of the rich and not famous.

I didn't realise how unsavoury in places Los Angeles was. Is it safe enough to walk around Hollywood areas in the daytime? and when you are talking about the areas being dodgy in what capacity are we talking? Is Santa Monica safe at night with children? I don't particulary want to be couped up in a hotel at night, we like to take a stroll and nice meal etc. I know every city has its problems, as I mentioned just clueless to Los Angeles and the West coast, we have done Miami and New York many times, and have always felt HOHO and I have looked at some tours that do Disneyland for an ok price from hotel if we decide on that option. x

Los Angeles has many safe areas. Just like any large city there are areas that you shouldn't go to after dark. If you stay in Santa Monica you will be fine.

Bruin Steve was just trying to give you an overall to some of the tourist areas at night. Again, LA is huge. The county which covers a lot of ground is bound to have some good and bad areas. Remember 10 MILLION people in the city. Not all of them can be sweet like the people on CC :D.

It's a BIG city...Lots of VERY safe areas...but also some not so...

But, a lot of the safest areas are also very remote from where one might want to be as a tourist...For example, you could stay out near where I live...The "Police Blotter" in our local paper reads like a joke--a report of someone's mailbox being vandalized or a bag of cookies being shoplifted from the local market...But staying out here would have little attraction for a tourist as you'd be stranded away from public transportation and many miles from any tourist sites or attractions...OTOH, we've probably got more celebrities living here than most any other place in the world...

I tried to address the main areas in which tourists would usually find reason to stay...Those close to attractions, with lots of hotels, etc. Many tourists end up in Downtown--mostly because they don't know Los Angeles and ASSUME Downtown is convenient. But, in LA, MOST of the things tourists want to see are NOT in Downtown or even near it...While the hotels there can be very nice--they cater to BUSINESS visitors. And, during the day, Downtown can be attractive...lots of bankers and lawyers and stockbrokers in suits...but, on weekends and and nights, those people all desert Downtown to return to homes in the suburbs. The Financial District becomes a Ghost Town...and what you have left are the homeless, the immigrants, the poor.

Other tourists end up in the LAX area...and LAX is a little more convenient--it is sort of on the West Side...and near the Beach...BUT, the hotels at LAX are all in a strip along Century Boulevard stretching eastward toward the 405 and there is nothing really there except those big hotels and a lot of airport-related industrial stuff...And, when you get into the area across the 405, you are, unfortunately, in a bad neighborhood...

So, those are two areas WITH a lot of hotel space that I usually recommend NOT staying in...neither terribly unsafe, just that you would really be disappointed if you stayed there...

Hollywood is an interesting area...The core center of Hollywood--surrounding Hollywood and Highland, the Chinese Theater, the Walk of Stars, etc. is really not terrible unsafe, even at night...but, remember Hollywood is an older part of town and not still as glamorous as it once was...A lot of what you might see there is not what you might want your kids around...

Most of the "better" neighborhoods--the high rent district, so to speak--at least those within the more common tourist areas, are on the "West Side"--Santa Monica, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood, West Hollywood, Marina del Rey...All of these areas are, relatively, very safe...but, also very pricey...Basically, everything from LAX North to the Santa Monica Mountains and West of, say, La Cienega Blvd. to the Beach--though there are some exceptions...There are also some other areas of LA that are also very nice and very safe--The edges of the San Fernando Valley, Ventura County, the South Bay (Manhattan Beach to Palos Verdes along the coast) as well as some parts of suburbia inland of Los Angeles and parts of Orange County to the South...But, many of those areas are just not convenient for tourists, so, though very nice and very safe, I just rarely talk about them unless someone has a specific purpose to stay in one of those...

So, that brings us back to the closer in parts of LA...and where one would want to be if without a car. As has been noted, LA is very spread out and without a good public transportation system. Most Angelenos own cars...Actually, many of us have more cars than people in our households. The culture is built around the automobile.

HOWEVER, there are some areas of town that are known as walking areas--where a lot of people walk around most hours of the day and night. Angelenos actually drive to these areas, park their cars and then walk all over...My wife and I did this on this past Monday...She had the day off work (it was a holiday here) so, we drove down to Santa Monica and spent the day walking around the Third Street Promenade, the Mall, Palisades Park, watched some street performers, went out to eat...a lovely day. IF I were a tourist, that is where I would stay--lots to do, lots of fun--very upscale neighborhood, very safe...Of course, remember, wherever you go, you still need to be wary of thieves and pickpockets. In EVERY city in the world, they know where the tourists are and that they like to operate in crowds of unsuspecting folks...

But, Santa Monica does have the most going for it--in terms of nightlife, climate, restaurants, entertainment, attractions, etc. and that it is the hub of a lot of tours and such...One does not really need an automobile in Santa Monica. But, also note that there are areas of Santa Monica that have hotels that are NOT near the tourist areas. Some hotels are a couple of miles from the tourist area--still fairly safe, just not as nice or as convenient.

Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood also have nice hotels--but not quite as convenient and not as much fun--For example, one could stay at the Angeleno or the Luxe off the 405 right next to the Getty Center Museum--EXTREMELY nice neighborhood...but, aside from convenience to the Getty, there is nothing nearby to even walk to...Those hotels need to shuttle their guests into Westwood Village for restaurants... Beverly Hills is nice--but the hotels there are even more expensive than Santa Monica.

Face it, LA is a very expensive hotel town...And some people see the hotel prices one has to pay to be in a top location and in a nice property and they think they can do better...and, not knowing the town, they find a "bargain"...BUT, bargains are usually bargains for a reason...and there are lots of hotels in bad areas of town as well...So, often, people think they've saved hundreds of dollars only to find themselves in a remote location or in an unsafe neighborhood or just in a bad hotel...

So, go ahead and look for bargains--but, in this case, a bargain might just be a slightly lower price at a good hotel--maybe use Priceline, maybe hunt hotel sites for Special Offers...

Oh, and do come back here and run what you find by us locals...

Good luck...

Hi thanks again, for your very informative input, greatly appreciated. I am pretty sure we will end up in Santa Monica, as it sounds the best option for us. I appreciate the heads up on the better hotels/areas for us and if we have to shell out a little more so be it, I wouldn't be happy in a dive, just be happy if I can get a little discount ;). The double tree is coming up reasonable, and I have only just started putting this itinerary together so I will keep my eye on the prices. Obviously we have to throw flights into the mix too, which is a little eyewatering but hey ho. Got to pay for xmas holiday yet:eek:

I agree with a lot of what Steve said. Where I live is relatively safe (even though we do have a little area to avoid too), but usually those who get a hotel room here are usually here to check out the local university, not to play tourist (there is the Reagan library that's about 20 miles away, but I would think most planning a visit there will rent a car to get there). Every thing else is residential or industrial.

There is quite a bit of homeless people as the weather (other than the period of time we have three digit temps) is usually mild. But when we were taking our girl to school, the college town there (which seems pretty nice) does have some homeless people so it's an unfortunate thing about our country nowadays.

Santa Monica, if you stay there or close by, has the Third Street Promenade that's not too far from the ocean. It's a pleasant and fun place to spend the day or evening. If you have to drive over there, you'll need to find a parking garage as this is a strictly pedestrian area. Lots of shops and restaurants.

Last week we did drive over to Malibu to hang out on the pier for a couple of hours, and then hubby drove through Santa Monica (we passed by some of the hotels Steve mentioned) and he stopped in Venice. We had an early dinner at one of the little eateries and then drove off to Marina Del Rey to the Fisherman's Wharf there. That's another pleasant place to spend the day (there are hotels, but guessing they're high price). But we were sadden to be told by an owner of a little store there that the County of LA is considering selling off the land to developers. Hopefully that won't take place for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to be town for 5-6 days you will want to get a car, if you are only here a day or two cabs and public transportation should be OK. The age of your kids may dictate some destinations. If they are into dinosaurs go to the La Brea Tarpits, if they love movies and TV then Universal Studios is a great destination. Disneyland is different than Disney World, but many things are the same.

Spend a day at the beach, but some of the stops on a HOHO bus may not interest kids. Rodeo Drive is interesting, but would bore a kid to death.

One day - not Disney - i would do Universal and its City Walk for something you would not see back home.

Hi from Downunder.

I have been reading all your comments about LA with interest and wonder if you can answer a question or two for me please.

We have three nights in November and will be staying at the Grafton on Sunset. How easy will it be for us (three silver retirees) to get about as we will not be driving. Not interested in Disneyland however definitely want to spend time in Santa Monica, Muscle and Venice Beaches.

Also we are coming back for another night precruise and wonder about getting to the Princess terminal from hotels in both San Pedro and Long Beach - do they all run shuttles or would we have to rely on cabs?

Hope someone can help me out here.

sm;)es,

Carol

Cactus Flower---

You're at Sunset and La Cienega. That's about a 15 minute drive (longer walking) to the Chinese Theatre and the tourist area of Hollywood. No where near where you want to see. Without a car you'll be relying on the busses (not a good experience in LA, metro.net will give you routing) or taxis (very expensive in LA). Stay near the areas you want to see. Even those aren't near each other.

The Crown and Double tree have shuttles to Port of San Pedro. It's a $20-25 taxi fare from Long Beach.

The West Coast Departure board has lots of info.