Great Stirrup Cay tips

TAYLORCPA

You steered me to the best spot on the Epic for my recent cruise (heaven!), and now I am booked on the Pearl to GSC at the beginning of November, and here you are again offering advice. :)

Again, not worried about a long walk or having nearby bars or attendants constantly checking on me--I'm all about a nice private spot to lounge for the day. I'm good with no shade because I actually have a medical need for sunshine (that sounds a lot better than reality given the symptoms, especially when you're from Michigan, lol!).

So, if anyone who's been to GSC could help me out with the following questions, I'd really appreciate it (and apologies to hijacking the OP).

If I sleep in a bit (maybe until 8 or 9?), can I still have a leisurely day at the lagoon with my pick of spots and some privacy? It seems like it based on the comments here, but I'm a planner, so I like specifics. :) Or if I sleep in that late does it mean I'm pretty much at the mercy of an insanely long line for the tender? And if I decide to spontaneously standup paddleboard (which is almost a given), can I do that? Or do I need to I book the SUP excursion? And if I do book the excursion, will I get a set-in-stone tender time I have to honor?

So sorry for all the questions! After my port-intensive, shore-excursion-booked-every-day-mustering-insanely-early recent cruise, I'd like a much more relaxed freestyle cruise this next time, but I also don't want to miss out on what I want to do, either. Thanks in advance for any answers from those in the know!

I have done lots of searches in the Ports of Call forum for the Bahamas for answers to these questions, and have found nothing, so I appreciate this thread.

A couple if years ago, I tried booking the paddle boards for 3 of my kids, could only book 2 (tried a week before the cruise, on the BA). We also had a priority tender ticket, but we must have sat on the tender for at least a half hour in full sun while the filled it completely. I would've rather waited an hour or two, when they were no longer filling them.

A couple if years ago, I tried booking the paddle boards for 3 of my kids, could only book 2 (tried a week before the cruise, on the BA). We also had a priority tender ticket, but we must have sat on the tender for at least a half hour in full sun while the filled it completely. I would've rather waited an hour or two, when they were no longer filling them.

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll tender in a little later and take my chances with being able to SUP and finding a private spot if I walk a little farther!

You steered me to the best spot on the Epic for my recent cruise (heaven!), and now I am booked on the Pearl to GSC at the beginning of November, and here you are again offering advice. :)

Again, not worried about a long walk or having nearby bars or attendants constantly checking on me--I'm all about a nice private spot to lounge for the day. I'm good with no shade because I actually have a medical need for sunshine (that sounds a lot better than reality given the symptoms, especially when you're from Michigan, lol!).

So, if anyone who's been to GSC could help me out with the following questions, I'd really appreciate it (and apologies to hijacking the OP).

If I sleep in a bit (maybe until 8 or 9?), can I still have a leisurely day at the lagoon with my pick of spots and some privacy? It seems like it based on the comments here, but I'm a planner, so I like specifics. :) Or if I sleep in that late does it mean I'm pretty much at the mercy of an insanely long line for the tender? And if I decide to spontaneously standup paddleboard (which is almost a given), can I do that? Or do I need to I book the SUP excursion? And if I do book the excursion, will I get a set-in-stone tender time I have to honor?

So sorry for all the questions! After my port-intensive, shore-excursion-booked-every-day-mustering-insanely-early recent cruise, I'd like a much more relaxed freestyle cruise this next time, but I also don't want to miss out on what I want to do, either. Thanks in advance for any answers from those in the know!

I have done lots of searches in the Ports of Call forum for the Bahamas for answers to these questions, and have found nothing, so I appreciate this thread.

I try my best to make it a better world. ;) :D

I don't recognize the priority tender being along the ship for half an hour, in fact they are two deck tenders and they steer you on the covered deck first before filling, if any, the top deck. There are always folks with no priority tickets willing to get on shore asap, therefore I can hardly imagine it. It must have happened to the above poster but I surely haven't heard or read about such before. Must have been bad luck.

I would utilize a priority tender ticket, GSC is a really nice place, only even to maximize your time there. Especially if you're having the UBP and/or a (small) cabana, some people decide to invite others to share a cabana (costs), heard that quite often.

The lagoon is gaining in popularity on CC so be aware.. ;)

Near the lagoon is a bar, hopefully it will be open on your sailing and next to that is one of the, I think, two float rental stalls. I am not sure where the SUP rental is, must be on the main beach (1st beach you will see after getting of the tender)? SUP should be able to walk in as other excursions as parasailing are. Otherwise you've made a leisurely stroll from the lagoon to the straw market and little food court (hamburgers, pizza, hot dogs, salad).

I think I've covered them all, feel free to ask, this post was made in a hurry :D

I try my best to make it a better world. ;) :D

You made mine a better world! :)

I would utilize a priority tender ticket, GSC is a really nice place, only even to maximize your time there. Especially if you're having the UBP and/or a (small) cabana, some people decide to invite others to share a cabana (costs), heard that quite often.

So, forgive another question. Am I to understand by your reference to a "priority" ticket that you don't get assigned a time if you buy a GSC excursion? I've only tendered into a port once (last month in Cannes), and you had to sign up for a tender time (mine was insanely early because of my chosen shore excursion). The way I'm understanding it, there are two lines--priority and not, and I can leave when I want, and I can get into the priority line if I book the SUP ahead of time.

The lagoon is gaining in popularity on CC so be aware.. ;)

Good to know. Our roll call is pretty dead, so hopefully most of my fellow passengers are not CC frequenters and will just stop at the first beach. :D

I think I've covered them all, feel free to ask, this post was made in a hurry :D

You did. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond when you were in a hurry.

Now, the endless font of questions has another question about GSC (can you tell I used to be a research scientist? LOL!)! I was looking through the NCL Freestyle magazine I cribbed from the ship last month and was reading about traditional Bahamian BBQ today. I know no one can answer this definitively, and my mileage may vary, and yadda yadda yadda, and that's fine, but GSC is the only Bahamas stop on my itinerary. Anyone remember if NCL makes an effort to include traditional Bahamanian food in its buffet in GSC, or is it the usual generic buffet food? Just was curious and thought I'd ask here since you guys are always a wonderful source of info!

Thanks!

You made mine a better world! :)

So, forgive another question. Am I to understand by your reference to a "priority" ticket that you don't get assigned a time if you buy a GSC excursion? I've only tendered into a port once (last month in Cannes), and you had to sign up for a tender time (mine was insanely early because of my chosen shore excursion). The way I'm understanding it, there are two lines--priority and not, and I can leave when I want, and I can get into the priority line if I book the SUP ahead of time.

Good to know. Our roll call is pretty dead, so hopefully most of my fellow passengers are not CC frequenters and will just stop at the first beach. :D

You did. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond when you were in a hurry.

Now, the endless font of questions has another question about GSC (can you tell I used to be a research scientist? LOL!)! I was looking through the NCL Freestyle magazine I cribbed from the ship last month and was reading about traditional Bahamian BBQ today. I know no one can answer this definitively, and my mileage may vary, and yadda yadda yadda, and that's fine, but GSC is the only Bahamas stop on my itinerary. Anyone remember if NCL makes an effort to include traditional Bahamanian food in its buffet in GSC, or is it the usual generic buffet food? Just was curious and thought I'd ask here since you guys are always a wonderful source of info!

Thanks!

If the SUP gives a priority tender ticket that's the way to go, you can show up for the tenders (from ship to shore, not vice versa) and get priority boarding on any tender that is about to go to GSC. :)

The buffet food won't be local, sorry. ;) Pizza slices, hamburgers, fries and a salad bar IIRC.

Did I already spammed the http://beyondships.com/NCL-GreatStirrupCay.html link in this thread? Great site.

If the SUP gives a priority tender ticket that's the way to go, you can show up for the tenders (from ship to shore, not vice versa) and get priority boarding on any tender that is about to go to GSC. :)

Thank you once again. Have I mentioned you're my hero? :)

That sounds AWESOME! I've read booking the SUP gets a priority tender ticket, so booking it I will be! I thought I'd be tied to a time if I did, but if not, I'm "onboard"! Ha! See what I did there? :)

The buffet food won't be local, sorry. ;) Pizza slices, hamburgers, fries and a salad bar IIRC.

Did you plan the menu? If so, you should be sorry! :p Good to know ahead of time it will be standard fare.

Did I already spammed the http://beyondships.com/NCL-GreatStirrupCay.html link in this thread? Great site.

I hope not, because I will feel woefully inadequate in my research if you did! I've done a lot of Googling (as you can imagine), but this site hasn't come up for the Pearl or GSC (but I am an idiot, because it did for my W Med Epic itinerary, so I should have known to have gone there!).

Thanks again! :)

We booked an early kayaking trip on GSC and got on an early tender. In Aug, after we ate lunch ( just a buffet with no local food) then went back to the ship. We're not bake in the sun beach people. Going again in Nov...hoping to spend some beach time on the lagoon (thanks CC, we didn't even know it was there last trip) when it won't be so hot in Nov.

• 4 weeks later...
Any pictures of the Lagoon?

Does tram run continuously?

There's a fair amount of video of Great Stirrup Cay on YouTube. I watched some as I wanted to know what to expect.

What I'd like to know is do any shady spots on the Amin beach disappear quickly? I'm thinking my plan is to get a couple of towels, claim a shady spot (not reserve a chair!), and hit the ocean for a swim. It looks like if you don't mind being in the sun there are lots of chairs. I'll probably alternate. And how crowded are the "public" covered areas?

I was on GSC this past April and my mom does not do well in the sun. I contemplated getting a clamshell, but did not want to be away from the water(2 kids(14 and 10 year old).

We knew from past cruises to get an early tender. I set my 80 year old mom up in the large gazebo right past the larger first beach. Pulled in long loungers, so she could relax. We got chairs on the beach. This was the best decision. There were 5 families under that gazebo all day. I went back and forth, because that sun is hot. We were able to get lots of free shade, eat at the tables and have a clear view of the water, music, food venue. We walked down to the lagoon area(it is beautiful). The food venue is smaller so there was a longer line. Saw the tram and walked back, looking at all of cabanas, with no one sitting in them. If you go with a large group, I guess the cabanas are a good deal. We got water and walked back to our little(free) oasis.

I would suggest that if you get food and want to snack most of the day. I got from my local $1 store, these plastic covers(fitted wrap) for plates, bowls), we could cover our food, so the birds would stay away. Best cheap investment. kids swam and could eat when they wanted. The large food venue served burgers, even after they cleaned up the food. I also used these plastic covers on the cruise ship, to carry some snacks to my cabin. I love GSC- this is the day to relax and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
Near the lagoon is a bar, hopefully it will be open on your sailing

I was on the Pearl, so I didn't expect the lagoon bar to be open, but it was! It had a limited menu: four frozen drinks (pina coladas and daiquiris), rum and vodka, and cans of soda. There were big jug coolers with ice cold water, too. I was happy to settle myself down at the lagoon with a nice frozen pina colada!

Our sailing was sold out, but most of the time there were only 10-30 people at the lagoon. At peak, I counted 40. I was on the first tender and stayed until 2:30 pm, and there were only a handful of people then. I did end up getting a clamshell, and I LOVED it. I chose one with ventilation and propped it up in the back, and it never got too hot.

I really, really want to go back with my niece and nephew, who would absolutely love it! It was a perfect day in paradise!

GSClagoon1.jpg.49a67afbe89a281ced1fdf02ea31b278.jpg

GSClagoon2.jpg.a482cd0068635473a4f127eef693f347.jpg

GSClagoon3.jpg.07ee55cfa63d69974dc25e0c8b4765f4.jpg

GSClagoondrink.jpg.bd54583e495cb643bc3d57320a1fe92f.jpg

GSClagoonpeak.jpg.5909872e4b213212d6ea559f8dc547d0.jpg