Panama Canal advice?

suzyed

To the OP, if your primary goal is to see the Canal then I would prefer a full transit in either direction with the additional full day stop at Ft. Amador if possible. Taking a full transit just seems to connect it all together and underscores what a mammoth project that was tackled over a 100 years ago. If a partial transit works out to be your best option that doesn't mean you are choosing a distant second choice, because it can be a great cruise as well and a great second choice. To see a large part of the Canal just pick the shore excursion Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat. This shorex will take you through the Pacific Locks of Miraflores and Pedro Miguel as well as through the Gaillard Cut. The part of the Canal you won't experience is the Gatun Lake crossing, but you can always come back again! There is one distinct advantage in this particular excursion... you get to experience locking through Gatun Locks on your large Panamax vessel in the morning and then later on at the Pacific Locks on your smaller passenger "ferry." It really offers you two completely different perspectives.

As far as cabin, pick your cabin based on how you will use it for the rest of the cruise. At the Canal the cheapest inside cabin is just as good as the owner's suite. This is even more appropriate if you choose a partial transit. You need to be out where you see whatever is of interest and you can take in a great deal from the comfort of the air conditioned areas as well. As attractive as it sounds seeing the Canal from your balcony you can wind up seeing only half of a Canal.

Best time of year... IMO, I would pick January through a good part of February. Dry Season is firmly established, the trade winds are present, the foliage is lush and the humidity is about as good as it is ever going to get. Don't worry it will still feel warm and humid to anyone from a temperate climate! I would only use the above as a tie breaker for different dates. In Panama, Dry Season doesn't necessarily mean no rain, just less rain:D!

Good reads before your transit... The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough, probably the book of record on the Canal and Panama Fever by Matthew Parker. TV before your transit, PBS's American Experience, The Panama Canal... you can purchase or even watch it online. A good book to take on the trip would be Panama Canal Day by Richard Detrich. In the past Richard has provided port commentary for both HAL and Princess. He also posts on Cruise Critic on the Panama Canal forum as Richard in Panama.

Regarding the opening of the expansion project that will allow larger ships through the Canal, as of now that is scheduled to be April 2016. They were on track to perhaps beat that date.... BUT... a significant problem developed on the Pacific side locks in terms of a serious crack and leakage. There has not been an official determination as to what the impact will be on the projected opening date or the fix for the problem. I have posted a number of links to the problem on the Panama Canal board, won't bore you with it here, but if you are interested... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2251282

WOW! Fantastic information! Thank you so much!!! I will definitely check out those books, since you are the second person to suggest them! :D

Do you know,,,or does anyone else have an opinion......Is it a mistake to take the Island Princess? Someone told me to avoid at all costs! :eek:

We have done this cruise 4 times, all a full transit and all 4 leaving from San Francisco, this is our home port so we love being able to sail out of SF. We actually just did it last September on the Island and traveled in a mini suite. Previously just in a room with a balcony. I agree with all of the other posters, you will want to be up on deck as you are going through the canal, it is an amazing feat, not to be missed.

This last sailing we actually had the worst weather of all four of our trips, missing several ports and with light rain falling on the day we did the canal but the weather didn't stop the wonder of the canal. My husband would do this trip every year if he could.

We also have done the canal a three times. Twice from LA to FL and once FL to LA, both are great. The last one we did the two day canal ,which included Panama City , we would suggest that if you can , you get more Panama land time that way and see more. We were on the Coral last time and the Emerald deck has a great viewing area on aft deck , close up look at the lock operations. It is a wonderful cruise, be sure to check which port stops are important to you on both sides of the canal , then make you decisions with that in consideration. I also agree with those that say , you will not want to be in your cabin during the canal day , you will want to be out on decks for viewing. Hope it works out for you and that you have a great cruise.

Cori

Do you know,,,or does anyone else have an opinion......Is it a mistake to take the Island Princess? Someone told me to avoid at all costs! :eek:

That's been frequently debated & here's one of many threads about the changes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127734&highlight=island

When the changes were announced I was very skeptical about them...they took away things such as the Universe Lounge & failed to add an International Café. Overall to me nothing improved & there's even been some posts about severe vibration problems in some new aft cabins. Apparently concerns about the Island's overhaul resulted in canceling the same changes to the Coral but haven't heard if it's a temporary or permanent cancellation.

Despite my unhappiness with the changes resulting in one of my favorite ships now near the bottom of my list, I would sail the Island if the price & itinerary were right.

"Avoid at all costs" is not an opinion that I would share unless additional posts indicate the changes would fall into that category.

We've done three partial and one full on Island/Coral and all have been great. We actually prefer partial since excursions on Pacific side are very long bus drives and ships no longer sail from Acapulco. Lots to do on Caribbean side. As others have suggested, if you do the partial take the canal by boat tour and look for the dent in Miraflores downstream west side lock. Try to get info on that from the pilot...

You can only take Princess excursions on the partial - they disembark in Gatun lake and meet back up with the ship after it goes back down and docks in Colon.

Don't worry about views from cabin. You will be on deck and in other viewing points starting around 5 AM for the transit. Promenade has great views all around and photographers go ashore to film you waving. Also there are hidden viewing areas through the crew doors forward on Baja and Caribe deck. These are open for passengers during the passage.

Have a great trip!