Anyone stay at these hotels?

cruzgal11

I need to book a hotel for myself & some friends. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale a day early from Connecticut on January 8, cruise leaves the 9th. There are so many hotels but narrowed it down to these for price & location, but need to know if they are close to restaurants/shopping/ attractions.

1. Comfort Inn & Suites

3551 W. Commercial Blvd. Fl

2. Quality Inn & Suites

1040 E. Newport, Deerfield Fl

3. Econo Lodge

1725 Taft St. Hollywood Fl

Or any hotels you would recommend?

I can see choosing one of these for price. But for location? Yikes.

Quality Inn has a Cracker Barrel next door. So that covers breakfast but get there early or you will have an hour wait Saturday morning. You do realize hotel is a $60+ cab fare from airport and to port?

Comfort Inn is in the middle of a bunch of office parks. Since they cater to business travelers you get a great rate for Friday night. A few fast food franchises are a brisk walk east. I would double check that the free breakfast is served on weekend mornings. Cab will be $45-50 each way.

Econo Lodge is in the middle of a notorious crime-riddled stretch of Federal Hwy. You couldn't pay me to stay there for one hour, let alone a Friday night. (Actually, many of their patrons are looking just for hourly rates :o)

Unless you have arranged very inexpensive transfers to either of the first two hotels it would certainly work out better to invest what you would have to spend on taxis to stay closer to the port.

Edited by fishywood

I need to book a hotel for myself & some friends. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale a day early from Connecticut on January 8, cruise leaves the 9th. There are so many hotels but narrowed it down to these for price & location, but need to know if they are close to restaurants/shopping/ attractions.

1. Comfort Inn & Suites

2. Quality Inn & Suites

3. Econo Lodge

I would say no to all of them.

Take a look at:

Victoria Park Hotel

Best Western Oceanside

Sleep Inn

Also, there are a lot of small mom and pop motels back on Birch Road very close to the beach and to all the restaurants at Beach Place.

I would throw away your current list.

Looks like Quality Inn Airport/Cruiseport South at 2500 Stirling Rd is only a few dollars more than the Comfort Inn on Commercial and has a free shuttle from the airport. Lots of shops and restaurants close by.

(Sleep Inn Dania Beach mentioned above appears sold out for Jan 8. One of the most popular "lower priced" motels discussed here regularly, so you can keep an eye out for cancellations there too, but only if rate is a bit lower than at my suggestion)

Edited by fishywood

How many people are needing a room? Can you stay in one room to save $? I would say NO too all of those hotels!!!!

Maybe the Hyatt house or something similar that has a separate bedroom.

I booked the ES for our Dec 27th cruise. There will be 2 adults and 3 young people of various ages> We decided that the 3 males would have the bed room and the ladies would have the pullout. It is just for one night and saves us over $300.

I would recommend thevHyant Place on 17th. It does cost $195, a little more than you might want to spend but well worth it. Great included breakfast. The location is great. Mant stores and restaurants within walking distance.Free pickup from airport to hotel. Shuttle to port...might be a small fee for that,not sure. All things considered good bang for your buck!

1. Comfort Inn & Suites

2. Quality Inn & Suites

3. Econo Lodge

You need to start over. The suggestions given to you have been good ones, so I hope that one of them works out. Anything beyond south Ft Lauderdale or Dania is going to cost so much in cab fare that it will cost you at least $50 to $100 (2 rides total) more. So stay closer to the port/airport.

We have stayed at Best Western on STate Rd. 84 very reasonably a number of times. In early March, I have a night booked for $150. It's clean and we like the location because we travel with our kids. Next door to a mall where there is a Subway, Wendy's McDonalds, a sports bar, liquor store and grocery store.

Any thoughts on the Holiday Inn Express in Dania Beach? My wife booked it for a night before we go to MIA for a flight.

HIE Dania is very new so that's great. The neighborhood isn't nice but it would be fine for one night. It's not a place I would walk around after dark alone, but it's not terrible.

Thanks everyone for your help!! As for budget, my boyfriend & I would like to stay under $175. I'm not sure of the other friends. We still need airfare. Good idea about sharing a room!! [emoji4]

The family suite at the Victoria Park is $199 for your night. That is a steal for that time of year, in that neighborhood, for that hotel.

I have a reservation at that particular Holiday Inn Express, which I will probably cancel. I thought that they had an area shuttle which would take care of going somewhere for dinner by myself, but I called the hotel to ask what radius it covered and was informed that it only goes to and from the airport and also to Kiki's restaurant at the Crown Plaza, and that was it. I asked the person who answered the phone if it was safe to walk alone at night around there and she pretty much admitted that the area wasn't as nice as other parts of Dania.

Looks like Quality Inn Airport/Cruiseport South at 2500 Stirling Rd is only a few dollars more than the Comfort Inn on Commercial and has a free shuttle from the airport. Lots of shops and restaurants close by.

(Sleep Inn Dania Beach mentioned above appears sold out for Jan 8. One of the most popular "lower priced" motels discussed here regularly, so you can keep an eye out for cancellations there too, but only if rate is a bit lower than at my suggestion)

That Quality Inn is quite old. There is a brand new Comfort Suites just down the street or a Hampton Inn next door. There is a nice Cambria Suites just behind the Comfort Suites.

I have a reservation at that particular Holiday Inn Express, which I will probably cancel. ....I asked the person who answered the phone if it was safe to walk alone at night around there and she pretty much admitted that the area wasn't as nice as other parts of Dania.

That says a lot because there are not really many nice parts of Dania, LOL!

• 4 weeks later...

Look into scheduled shuttle van with either QLS or SAS from FLL hotels to POM - as low as $13 per person - dependable and direct. A LOT cheaper than a taxi. Sometimes you just want to fly into FLL vs. MIA for the price and/or the itinerary... these shuttles make it very manageable. We took 9am shuttle from the Holiday Inn Airport Hotel and got to the port by 10am - waited comfortably in the cruise terminal until the check in line opened - then on the ship in no time!!

• 2 months later...

We are looking at The Victoria Park Hotel (recommended in an earlier post) but when I just looked on the map, it is north of the airport. Should we reconsider and try to find something closer? I'm worried about cost of taxi/shuttle to the hotel, and then to the POM where we are cruising out of.

Has anyone stayed here before? The family suite would be perfect for our large family. It's hard to find rooms with 2 queen beds instead of 2 doubles (or 1 king). For less than $200 a night, this appears to be a nice hotel.