Norwegian escape entourage concerns

Cabbiebrown

I'm hoping to get some input here. I was pretty sold on booking royal caribbeans allure of the seas, but in digging deeper I stumbled upon the Norwegian Escape. I will be taking my two sons, one will be 11 and the other will turn 13 the week before we leave. I am slightly concerned about my 7th grader being grouped in with 11th and 12th graders. The maturity difference in that age group is miles apart, in my opinion. Also, roaming around the ship without supervision? I'm not so sure.....he can be a little socially awkward, and has been targeted by bullies many times in school, thus I find myself being a little over protective. I would love to hear what others think about 13 and 17 year old mixing and their experience with entourage. Are there ways for your kids to communicate with you onboard?? Thanks in advance for any input offered.

I have a 14yo DS who has been cruising since he was 3.5. He's also small for his age and a little socially awkward. In Entourage, they get a schedule of events and they show up for the ones they are interested in. Mine isn't athletic, so he didn't show up for the basketball and stuff like that. Other than that, he hung out with us mostly. He didn't roam around the ship with other kids unless they were doing the scavenger hunt. He knows our expectations of him and knows he will lose privileges if he doesn't act accordingly.

I'm hoping to get some input here. I was pretty sold on booking royal caribbeans allure of the seas, but in digging deeper I stumbled upon the Norwegian Escape. I will be taking my two sons, one will be 11 and the other will turn 13 the week before we leave. I am slightly concerned about my 7th grader being grouped in with 11th and 12th graders. The maturity difference in that age group is miles apart, in my opinion. Also, roaming around the ship without supervision? I'm not so sure.....he can be a little socially awkward, and has been targeted by bullies many times in school, thus I find myself being a little over protective. I would love to hear what others think about 13 and 17 year old mixing and their experience with entourage. Are there ways for your kids to communicate with you onboard?? Thanks in advance for any input offered.

with respect this is an absolutely impossible question to answer as it relies on so many variables. Anyone who answers anything else must guess.

Some of these are

The fellow children

The teen counsellors

The demographic of the teenagers _ in summer on the Epic a majority are Spanish

The age spread of the group

Your child who is the most important person - will he find the special friend

We have two children and they have been through all ages groups and both say some years good some years bad. They now take friends with them!!:D

Just off the Breakaway August 23rd. I too was concerned about many factors regarding the Entourage and my 13 year old son. He's kind of shy so I was worried about this as well. The first day of embarkation parents were allowed to tour the Entourage, after that no adults other than the Adult Counselors. Surprisingly enough my son absolutely loved it and it's programs. I could hardly get him to tear himself away from there. He made many new friends on board that he currently skypes with now. He can't wait for us to go back next August and he tells all his friends back home how much fun the Entourage was. I hope this helps, one of my son's favorite activities was Dodgeball on the top deck. Happy Sailing to you and your family.

Are you familiar with NCL's IConcierge app? It has many free features, but for $7.95 per phone, you can text each other for free after that. Calls may be available, as well. I can't remember. The app must be downloaded before you get on the ship on each phone. I believe you activate the texting feature at Guest Services.

You can search for more information here on CC, or Google, etc.

http://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

I'm sure if you bring up your concerns with the Entourage staff when you register, they will be able to provide you with reassurance to your concerns.

Also, make sure both your sons are aware of safety precautions onboard; ie. no going in friends cabins (or yours with friends,) if you leave a drink alone get a new one, no inappropriate horseplay, etc. There are sample safety contracts for kids on ships you can Google.

Best wishes for a safe and happy cruise!

Edited by minnesotamamafish

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice from minnesota mama.

They are close enough in age, can't they be in the same group?

My parents used to stick Me solo in groups & expect me to blend.

"make new friends"

It was usually a bad experience. Especially if kids are shy to begin with.

Bring a friend?

Or keep them together if poss, unless they BOTH want to be seperate.

Hope it all works out fun for all.:o

The 13- and 14-year olds tend to stay together. I do not know too many 16- and 17-year olds who would willingly hang around with a 13-year old. As for roaming the ship, you are just going to have to set rules. They are allowed to sign in and out at that age, so it's just a matter of your child listening to whatever rules you set.

Edited by SissasMomE

Even on ship kids of a feather flock together. On some ships during sailings with lots of kids they will even separate the 13-15 and 16-17 Yo's

I would recommend going the first night to the get together/ get to know each other activity its a great time to make friends. since most kids don't know each other they are all looking for someone.

My DD was 13 on our last cruise and she looks well...17 or older she got served sparkling wine during a cocktail party on ship. She made friends with kids her age and older boys kept inviting her to go to their activities but she would tell them she was 13 and they left her alone. Never has she had any bullies but I am sure they are there.

Its good to make clear rules and curfews for kids on ships. Ships are floating cities but they are also floating malls. There is a lot of stuff for teens to enjoy without getting themselves in over their heads. Simpe rules can help the whole family have a great vacation. #1 most important is never ever never go into anyone else's stateroom or invite them into yours...never under no circumstances never ever. #2 There is no need to spend much time in stateroom hallways either. Transvers the ship in public spaces. That's more out of courtesy to other guests. No one wants to hear a group of elephants I mean teens walking down their hallway. Kids are not quiet in the best of situations. #3 drink safety. Including never drink after anyone else that's just gross and a easy way to spread germs. We either get the kids a drink package or discuss a spending limit.. #4 a spending limit on the arcade, or better yet no arcade. My DD could care less about the arcade but will sometimes go with her friends.

Also get the app so you can communicate with your child very important and worth every penny....when it works.

Good advice from minnesota mama.

They are close enough in age, can't they be in the same group?

My parents used to stick Me solo in groups & expect me to blend.

"make new friends"

It was usually a bad experience. Especially if kids are shy to begin with.

Bring a friend?

Or keep them together if poss, unless they BOTH want to be seperate.

Hope it all works out fun for all.:o

NCL will not let anyone under the age of 13 into the teen club - they are very strict. They also won't allow a 13 year old in the 10 - 12 group.