Shopping in Southampton Day Before Embarkation

This will be my first time in Southampton and am looking for shop recommendations. Items to buy would be things like biscuits and chocolate, magazines, tea/coffee cups, little things to take back for enjoying once home again.

Hotel is near the West Quay mall. Ideally would like to not be pressed for time if the shops were too out of the way.

Also, is there a nearby wine shop or can I purchase wine in the grocery store?

Any experienced Southampton shoppers? Thanks in advance!

Marks and Spencer in West Quay shopping centre(mall)would be a good, easy start. Their food hall has wine too.they also sell magazines.

John Lewis(also in West Quay sc) has a Waitrose small supermarket. They may have more wine in there. Don't know because the Waitrose is only a small one, unlike out of town large stores. John Lewis(department store) has a lovely choice of cups and saucers etc suitable as souvenirs.

John Bull will be able to advise you of more choice, but West Quay would be my choice because of time limitations. :)

http://www.west-quay.co.uk

Where are you staying in Southampton?

Edited by turnip eater

Thanks, turnip eater. After reading others on the forum saying they stayed at the Premier, I decided to give them a chance. The location looks to be very near the mall. I have a foot injury and can't do a lot of walking, but am resting it up in hopes all will be well enough in time for the trip.

I will check out the M&S and John Lewis, too. Looking forward to selecting something nice to take home.

If you are still having problems, there is a "Shopmobility" scheme at West Quay. They will lend you an electric or pushalong chair or buggy, free of charge. AFAIK all they need is some ID.

This is their website: http://www.west-quay.co.uk/shopmobility

Thanks Bob++. I had a look at that link. It's very good for the mall to provide these services.

turnip eater Hope that you foot improves. Good Luck with the shopping

Thanks turnip eater. People are requesting, so I will do my best. :cool:

There are two Premier Inns in Southampton city centre.

"City" is on the east side in New Road and "West Quay" is on the west side. I'm guessing your hotel is the West Quay one, most popular with cruisers. If so, yes, your hotel is right at the back of West Quay Mall and only a couple of hundred yards from the entrance beyond Marks & Spencer.

City Premier Inn is less convenient - a walk across a park to Above Bar (the main traditional shopping street) and West Quay Mall beyond.

A new Co-op "Welcome" store opened this year in the same building as Premier Inn West Quay. It's a convenience food shop, and includes a small selection of wines. So you could recce their offerings before venturing into the Mall & the other city shops.

The main West Quay Mall entrance (opposite end to Premier Inn) is in the middle of the Above Bar stores, just a few yards from the historic Bar Gate - the old city's main entry point through the city walls.

Most of the shops in the mall & on Above Bar Street are national chains - the goods & prices are broadly the same as you'll find in any UK city centre.

Smaller shops line East Street, which is the other side of the Bar Gate, a bit more variety but you'll find few goods with a local flavour.

Marks & Spencer (M&S) in the Mall has a reasonable selection of world wines, generally a little better & a little more expensive than in other grocery stores such a Asda, which is a five minute walk from the mall. Same comment applies to biscuits, chocolates etc. though there'll be further choices in other shops. Likewise John Lewis for teacups & other household goods but again plenty of other shops selling such things.

The city centre & main shopping level of the Mall is one storey above Premier Inn & the retail "sheds" of West Quay Retail Park (the stores in the retail park sell furniture, kitchen appliances & such, and unlikely to interest you). There's a path with an easy slope to the Mall entrance, or you can use the elevator in the multi-storey carpark behind Premier Inn to go up one level.

Couldn't really get a much better location than Premier Inn West Quay for shopping. :)

JB :)

We alway stay at the Premier Inn West Quay because of its location - close to pubs / restaurants for the evening when we arrive, then easy access to shops in the morning. Apart from M&S and John Lewis as already mentioned here's also a big supermarket close by: ASDA (Walmart) which is really good and cheap for basics and has a wide selection.

When we sailed out of Southampton last May, there were a lot of lovely free magazines available at the cruise terminal. I hope your foot will soon be better. If you want to eat in the West Quay mall, there is a Harry Ramsdens (fish and chips etc) and a Wagamama (Asian) among others.

There are two Premier Inns in Southampton city centre.

"City" is on the east side in New Road and "West Quay" is on the west side. I'm guessing your hotel is the West Quay one, most popular with cruisers. If so, yes, your hotel is right at the back of West Quay Mall and only a couple of hundred yards from the entrance beyond Marks & Spencer.

City Premier Inn is less convenient - a walk across a park to Above Bar (the main traditional shopping street) and West Quay Mall beyond.

A new Co-op "Welcome" store opened this year in the same building as Premier Inn West Quay. It's a convenience food shop, and includes a small selection of wines. So you could recce their offerings before venturing into the Mall & the other city shops.

The main West Quay Mall entrance (opposite end to Premier Inn) is in the middle of the Above Bar stores, just a few yards from the historic Bar Gate - the old city's main entry point through the city walls.

Most of the shops in the mall & on Above Bar Street are national chains - the goods & prices are broadly the same as you'll find in any UK city centre.

Smaller shops line East Street, which is the other side of the Bar Gate, a bit more variety but you'll find few goods with a local flavour.

Marks & Spencer (M&S) in the Mall has a reasonable selection of world wines, generally a little better & a little more expensive than in other grocery stores such a Asda, which is a five minute walk from the mall. Same comment applies to biscuits, chocolates etc. though there'll be further choices in other shops. Likewise John Lewis for teacups & other household goods but again plenty of other shops selling such things.

The city centre & main shopping level of the Mall is one storey above Premier Inn & the retail "sheds" of West Quay Retail Park (the stores in the retail park sell furniture, kitchen appliances & such, and unlikely to interest you). There's a path with an easy slope to the Mall entrance, or you can use the elevator in the multi-storey carpark behind Premier Inn to go up one level.

Couldn't really get a much better location than Premier Inn West Quay for shopping. :)

Awesome, John Bull! I had a look at the video, so that shop might be very handy. Seems large for a convenience store, at least the ones I've been in.

I am staying at the West Quay location. Other people posting here spoke well of it, so the list of possible hotels was narrowed down and Premier WQ was selected.

If time permits after arriving, I hope to visit the Sea City Museum or something else before shopping.

I am going to check out the lift situation, that might help with the bags carrying back to the hotel! :D

tartanexile81 We alway stay at the Premier Inn West Quay because of its location - close to pubs / restaurants for the evening when we arrive, then easy access to shops in the morning. Apart from M&S and John Lewis as already mentioned here's also a big supermarket close by: ASDA (Walmart) which is really good and cheap for basics and has a wide selection.

I'm not sure from looking at the map if the Asda is walkable carrying bags back to the West Quay. If it's walkable, will check that out for the savings.

Any favorite pubs/restaurants you want to share? It'd be nice to send ourselves off with a good meal and drink from Southampton.

TeaBag When we sailed out of Southampton last May, there were a lot of lovely free magazines available at the cruise terminal. I hope your foot will soon be better. If you want to eat in the West Quay mall, there is a Harry Ramsdens (fish and chips etc) and a Wagamama (Asian) among others.

Free magazines sound very good, will keep a look out for them. Fish and chips and Asian are two favorites. Thanks for that info. My foot is crying out for rest and ice, I must slow down. So many details to tie up right now. Thank you for the well wishes.

Again, thank you everyone for the info! :)

Awesome, John Bull! I had a look at the video, so that shop might be very handy. Seems large for a convenience store, at least the ones I've been in.

I am staying at the West Quay location. Other people posting here spoke well of it, so the list of possible hotels was narrowed down and Premier WQ was selected.

If time permits after arriving, I hope to visit the Sea City Museum or something else before shopping.

I am going to check out the lift situation, that might help with the bags carrying back to the hotel! :D

I'm not sure from looking at the map if the Asda is walkable carrying bags back to the West Quay. If it's walkable, will check that out for the savings.

Any favorite pubs/restaurants you want to share? It'd be nice to send ourselves off with a good meal and drink from Southampton.

Free magazines sound very good, will keep a look out for them. Fish and chips and Asian are two favorites. Thanks for that info. My foot is crying out for rest and ice, I must slow down. So many details to tie up right now. Thank you for the well wishes.

Again, thank you everyone for the info! :)

Asda is a five-minute walk from West Quay Mall, less than ten minutes from your hotel.

Similar situation with lifts - you can use the lift at the back of the store to go down to the level of your hotel & then walk along the back of West Quay Mall.

But the sloping path down from the Mall to your hotel is just as easy.

Sea City museum is less than five minutes beyond Asda.

In the opposite direction, The Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street for a drink or a meal, the Wool House (aka the Dancing Man) at the junction of Bugle Street & Town Quay for a drink or pub-grub, Royal Thai (ground floor) or Gatehouse Grill (upper level) in the Royal Pier opposite the Wool House, Ennios just a few yards away on Town Quay for a little more-expensive Italian meal, a number of other pubs & restaurants in the area. None more than a ten minute walk on level ground.

Asda is a five-minute walk from West Quay Mall, less than ten minutes from your hotel.

Similar situation with lifts - you can use the lift at the back of the store to go down to the level of your hotel & then walk along the back of West Quay Mall.

But the sloping path down from the Mall to your hotel is just as easy.

Excellent, the sloping path sounds good.

Sea City museum is less than five minutes beyond Asda.

Will check the opening and closing times. I think I read somewhere that they will let you leave luggage there. That would be very convenient, could go to Asda after touring the museum.

In the opposite direction, The Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street for a drink or a meal, the Wool House (aka the Dancing Man) at the junction of Bugle Street & Town Quay for a drink or pub-grub, Royal Thai (ground floor) or Gatehouse Grill (upper level) in the Royal Pier opposite the Wool House, Ennios just a few yards away on Town Quay for a little more-expensive Italian meal, a number of other pubs & restaurants in the area. None more than a ten minute walk on level ground.

Thank you for these names and locations. Will make a list and suffer through the difficult choice :D of only going to one or two of these places.

Thanks so much, John.

Will check the opening and closing times. I think I read somewhere that they will let you leave luggage there. That would be very convenient, could go to Asda after touring the museum.

Not sure I'm reading you right, but

- train station to Sea City is up a steep hill. Coach station to Sea City you can avoid the hill by taking the lift in the multi-storey carpark opposite & through the Asda store, but neither is a great idea with luggage.

- yes, I too have heard that you can leave luggage at SeaCity for your visit, but no guarantees.

- hawking your luggage around Asda will be no fun.

In fact none of this will be fun with luggage, even without a gammy foot. :(

Or did you mean leaving your luggage early at Premier Inn?

That's sensible, and yes, you can drop it off early - mebbe even check in early if your room is ready :)

All these places are pretty close to each-other & it makes sense to unburden yourselves of luggage first.

Marks and Spencer in West Quay shopping centre(mall)would be a good, easy start. Their food hall has wine too.they also sell magazines.

John Lewis(also in West Quay sc) has a Waitrose small supermarket. They may have more wine in there. Don't know because the Waitrose is only a small one, unlike out of town large stores. John Lewis(department store) has a lovely choice of cups and saucers etc suitable as souvenirs.

John Bull will be able to advise you of more choice, but West Quay would be my choice because of time limitations. :)

http://www.west-quay.co.uk

Where are you staying in Southampton?

Regarding this shopping center -

The website says the dining level closes at 7pm. Does that mean those restaurants close that early? We are also staying near the mall, but won't be rolling into Southampton until around 8pm, and will be looking to eat. Any suggestions?

Regarding this shopping center -

The website says the dining level closes at 7pm. Does that mean those restaurants close that early? We are also staying near the mall, but won't be rolling into Southampton until around 8pm, and will be looking to eat. Any suggestions?

Up to 9pm weekdays (but most close at 8pm), 7pm Saturdays, 5pm sundays.

But the eateries in West Quay Mall broadly provide grazing-breaks for shoppers - burgers & pizzas & such. It's not the sort of territory for evening meals.

There are stax of options for the evening, from fast-foods to pub-grub to fine dining.

A few suggestions, in no particular order, within a five to ten minute walk :

Fast-food - McD, KFC, Burger King, etc ad infinitum.

Pubs - the Duke of Wellington, the Wool House (basic pub menu only), Platform Tavern, Red Lion (the one in High St), the Standing Order (basic but cheap).

Restaurants - George's or Blue Island for Greek, La Regata (Spanish), Kuti's Royal Thai or the Gatehouse Grill in Royal Pier. For Italian, Fantini's or Piccolo Mondo or Bella Italia or (quite expensive) Ennios, for Brazilian Fogo Gaucho. Google a name + Southampton, most of their websites have menus/prices and opening hours.

Last food orders are usually around 9pm. For saturdays, booking is advised for some pubs & restaurants.

Up to 9pm weekdays (but most close at 8pm), 7pm Saturdays, 5pm sundays.

But the eateries in West Quay Mall broadly provide grazing-breaks for shoppers - burgers & pizzas & such. It's not the sort of territory for evening meals.

There are stax of options for the evening, from fast-foods to pub-grub to fine dining.

A few suggestions, in no particular order, within a five to ten minute walk :

Fast-food - McD, KFC, Burger King, etc ad infinitum.

Pubs - the Duke of Wellington, the Wool House (basic pub menu only), Platform Tavern, Red Lion (the one in High St), the Standing Order (basic but cheap).

Restaurants - George's or Blue Island for Greek, La Regata (Spanish), Kuti's Royal Thai or the Gatehouse Grill in Royal Pier. For Italian, Fantini's or Piccolo Mondo or Bella Italia or (quite expensive) Ennios, for Brazilian Fogo Gaucho. Google a name + Southampton, most of their websites have menus/prices and opening hours.

Last food orders are usually around 9pm. For saturdays, booking is advised for some pubs & restaurants.

Thanks for the info, John Bull!