Explorer of the seas for 5 ?

mrmet1986

I searched the website and couldn't find the answer and I hate calling. Can someone tell me if this ship has a stateroom for 5 ? I have a wife and 3 small children all under the age of 4 . All responses are appreciated

Yes you can book 5 in a cabin, but you have to call and ask options. Sometimes better to book 2 connecting cabins as you'll get 2 bathrooms

I searched the website and couldn't find the answer and I hate calling. Can someone tell me if this ship has a stateroom for 5 ? I have a wife and 3 small children all under the age of 4 . All responses are appreciated

The Royal Family Suite can accomodate up to 8 guests. You would have to call Royal or your travel agent to get pricing, as Royal's website does not normally show pricing for staterooms that hold more than 4 guests.

You may want to consider two connected staterooms, because that might be less expensive than the RFS.

Edited by clarea

Yes I think a suite would be too expensive. Thanks for the help guys but I guess I will just have to call. Cruising is hard for a family with 5. Being the kids are so small I wouldn't mind packing in a balcony room but I guess this isn't allowed per the rules

There are family staterooms (not many) that will hold 5. You do have to call RC or work with a travel agent to book. They are not on the RC website as they are only released to people booking 5 persons.

Also suites, which would be more expensive. Sometimes booking two connecting staterooms is the cheapest way to go.

You are limited as your children are so young. They are not old enough to sleep in Pullman berths, as an example.

Would really suggest calling RC and make sure the representative realizes how young the kids are.

Yes I think a suite would be too expensive. Thanks for the help guys but I guess I will just have to call. Cruising is hard for a family with 5. Being the kids are so small I wouldn't mind packing in a balcony room but I guess this isn't allowed per the rules

We posted almost simultaneously!

They may allow you to get a balcony room or similar. I did read of someone doing this with twin infants and a 3-year-old. It is definitely not the norm - based on lifeboat capacity etc. rooms have definite numbers.

Again, if it is allowed, make sure it is clearly on your confirmation so you don't have a problem later.

We are a family of 5 and have cruised on Explorer... We stayed in a Family Oceanview stateroom. It was bigger than a normal Oceanview room and equipped with a regular bed, a pull out couch and a small room (very small room) just big enough for the built in bunk bed. It only has 1 bathroom but with the younger kids, we didn't find that to be a big problem. This room can sleep a maximum of 6 people. When we traveled in this room last, our kids were 5, 9 and 11. They are located at the very forward of the ship - I believe there are 2 of these type rooms forward on decks 7, 8 and 9 - maybe more on other decks, but I know those were the decks that we were able to choose from when booking.

If budget is a concern, they do have connecting staterooms in interior, Oceanview and balcony category staterooms and they can be more reasonable if you go with connecting interior or pceanview rooms instead of balcony rooms.

It is more expensive to book the "family" staterooms and sometimes it is less expensive to book to connecting staterooms. However, sometimes not less expensive to do it that way... Different options depending on budget and cruise. Bigger ships, like Freedom and Oasis Class, do have family balcony staterooms that hold 5, but from my experience, Voyager class shops do not.

We had priced the Royal Family suite for more than 1 family cruise and it was considerably more than either the 2-room or Family Stateroom options... Traveling with families larger than 4, even land based vacations, is very difficulty these days.

I hope this helps...

Edited by SnappyNappi

Are there circumstances why you want to cruise now, like a family cruise. Otherwise I strongly suggest you save your money until your youngest is old enough for the kids club. Children cannot go into the pools until they are toilet trained. They would be happier on a vacation where they can go in the water. I have seen people traveling with young children and the trip is exhausting trying to keep them happy. And you are stuck eating in buffet and not enjoying evening entertainment or ports. If other family are coming, at least you can get some babysitting.

Also, I assume you realize you pay going rate for the children. They are not free like hotels.

Think it through carefully. I am not suggesting you don't cruise. Just suggesting you wait a few years.

Sorry I had nothing additional to add about cabins for 5. There are boards for family cruising. Maybe you can get more info there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app.

My son and his family stayed in a family stateroom on the explorer. It slept 3 children and it was very big. The kids had a separate sleeping area. There are no balconies with these staterooms as they are in the front of the ship with very large circular windows. They did book way in advance due to the face that there are so few of these.

Connecting state rooms is the cheapest option

Anthem does not have the family ocean view rooms. Family junior suite is the cheapest single room for 5. I assume connecting rooms would be cheaper. There would be a nursery though if you wanted some childcare.

Thanks nette. That's exactly what we have to do. ( connecting rooms )

Our family of 5 is sailing on Anthem in December... Connecting staterooms with 2 in one and 3 in the other was, by far, our least expensive option. No family staterooms... They have a Family Junior Suite that will hold 5 but only 1 bathroom and still more expensive. Brace yourself for sticker shock... If you didn't know Explorer left NJ, that you probably haven't priced cruising from the Northeast in some time either. It's going to be a bit more expensive now than it was a few years ago... And by a bit, I mean depending on when you want to cruise, significantly more expensive.

Edited by SnappyNappi