HMC: Travel beach umbrellas, beach tent, and grabbing shade

aflyingbuttress

Anyone have a picture of what the beach loungers are like at HMC? I'd like to bring a couple of beach umbrellas that clamp to the chairs and before I purchase I want to make sure it'll work.

We weren't able to get a cabana and husband bursts into flames when he's in the sun for too long. We also have a 3 year old and want to make sure we have something in case we can't get a clamshell. So if anyone has any other suggestions for getting some shade there, please share.

I was also considering a pop up beach tent thing. Or would that be insanity? Would it annoy people? Would there be a place to put it?

Thanks!

Anyone have a picture of what the beach loungers are like at HMC? I'd like to bring a couple of beach umbrellas that clamp to the chairs and before I purchase I want to make sure it'll work.

We weren't able to get a cabana and husband bursts into flames when he's in the sun for too long. We also have a 3 year old and want to make sure we have something in case we can't get a clamshell. So if anyone has any other suggestions for getting some shade there, please share.

I was also considering a pop up beach tent thing. Or would that be insanity? Would it annoy people? Would there be a place to put it?

Thanks!

This is from Jamman54's review from last year. HTH

CFS455.JPG

And here is the link to his review with lots of wonderful information. The link is starting on the Half Moon Cay page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090955&highlight=carnival+fascination+review&page=8

Not sure about the popup tent.

Was just there a couple days ago.

Maybe this will help

https://goo.gl/photos/9AwR1WarZG5ZWdB99

Very helpful, thank you. Watching your video made me wonder why all the clamshells are up by the trees in the shade where you don't need a clamshell. Probably do they don't block people's views, but seems backwards.

This is from Jamman54's review from last year. HTH

CFS455.JPG

And here is the link to his review with lots of wonderful information. The link is starting on the Half Moon Cay page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090955&highlight=carnival+fascination+review&page=8

Not sure about the popup tent.

Thank you!

I was there last week and I had trouble finding any shade in the afternoon. The picture of the loungers in front of the villa was taken in the early morning (I'm looking at how long the shadows are of the people). By early afternoon all the shady spots had been taken - I couldn't put a lounger into the shade. I would suggest a clamshell.

• 2 weeks later...
I was there last week and I had trouble finding any shade in the afternoon. The picture of the loungers in front of the villa was taken in the early morning (I'm looking at how long the shadows are of the people). By early afternoon all the shady spots had been taken - I couldn't put a lounger into the shade. I would suggest a clamshell.

I agree. I adore HMC, and we were lucky enough to get a cabana on our last trip, but even in there, by late afternoon shade was hard to find. If I had someone super sensitive to the sun, I'd get a clamshell, keep it in the shade and open during the first good portion of the day and then by late afternoon, face the other way.

I would love to get a clamshell. If they are available when we get there I will certainly do that. My concern is what to do if there are none left. We don't have any sort of priority tendering so I'm not sure how realistic it is that they won't be sold out when we get there. I ended up buying a beach blanket so we can put it down in any shade we find. I'm not sure if that will help but I guess it's better than nothing.