Carnival Liberty Post-Fire Repairs

Cruisegoer

I haven't seen any information about the cause of the fire and subsequent repair; however, I am curious if it is similar to the issue that caused the engine room fire on the Triumph.

We were on that one and it turned out to be a leak in a diesel line that sparked. We were at sea though, not docked so that probably made a difference.

We're going to be on Carnival Liberty on the 9/20 sailing and have been checking out her webcams and also the port webcams that are available. From what we can tell, Liberty is on the regular itinerary. Left San Juan on time Sunday night (9/13), was in St. Thomas yesterday at the usual time and left at the usual time. Currently at sea heading to Barbados. I saw another report that the speed was 17 knots. As for the cause and what the repairs were, I have no idea. Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well on this week's sailing so we can get back to worrying about hurricanes and not engine fires for our 9/20 cruise. :D

There was a fire in July one of Royal Caribbean's ships, but it was Freedom of the Seas, the sister ship to Liberty of the Seas.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I agree I sail on 9/20 so Carnival Needs to Be upfront if there are any problems one of my Co-Workers is currently on The Liberty so hopefully I can find out from her how things are going...

I am going to guess that Carnival will use the next couple of weeks to demonstrate that Liberty is operating normally and will keep it's current schedule. It's probably more for PR purposes that they aren't stating specifically what was repaired or what might be operating at less than full capacity until (or if) it becomes obvious the schedule will be affected. In the interim, it's business as usual for them and the passengers. At some point, I think the Coast Guard will issue a report about the incident but that could be months and months from now.