Location of Rooms

sweethart9510

Hello fellow cruisers!

Sorry if this question has been discussed multiple times. I'm just now getting the hang of this app.

I have a question for you. Do you prefer Forward, Middle, or Aft rooms. I've always booked a middle interior room in he middle of the boat thinking that it helps with the rocking of the boat (or noise or whatever. It's just what I've done since my 1st cruise), but after reading a couple reviews, I want to venture out and try something else I wonder does it really matter where you are to avoid excess rocking of the boat? The only thing I know (after reading some threads) is to not get a room directly under the lido deck. TIA for any help. :-)

Edited by sweethart9510

as Aft as I can get, other than aft balconies, Don't like how the people above can see in your balcony. Wife likes the vibrations when she's sleeping, and noises are minimal since we go for deck 8 (dream class) the rule we go by is rooms above and below us

However, I do not recommend going all the way forward if you are down low, because the waves crashing on the bow sound like a thunder storm all night.

I like to be near the forward elevators. We also pay attention to what is above and below our cabin, never under the galley.

as Aft as I can get, other than aft balconies, Don't like how the people above can see in your balcony. Wife likes the vibrations when she's sleeping, and noises are minimal since we go for deck 8 (dream class) the rule we go by is rooms above and below us

I like that rule pbsteve. Thank you :-)

Rooms above and below is ideal.

If down low, try to be on deck 2, with rooms below, and get under the purser office or even the theater, unless you go to bed early. The theater is quiet all night.

Deck 1 is hit and miss, there can be mechanical equipment below, or noisy crew rooms.

Rooms above and below is ideal.

If down low, try to be on deck 2, with rooms below, and get under the purser office or even the theater, unless you go to bed early. The theater is quiet all night.

Deck 1 is hit and miss, there can be mechanical equipment below, or noisy crew rooms.

Be carefull of the galley, you do NOT want to be under it, breakfast prep starts at 4AM Dinner cleanup goes late into the night, and the 24 hr room service can get hectic shortly after the 2 am Last call at some bars.

Be carefull of the galley, you do NOT want to be under it, breakfast prep starts at 4AM Dinner cleanup goes late into the night, and the 24 hr room service can get hectic shortly after the 2 am Last call at some bars.

Thanks guys for responding. Where is the galley usually? Forward or aft?

Thanks guys for responding. Where is the galley usually? Forward or aft?

For Spirit class, the galley is on deck 1, below the dining room, so no rooms are affected by it. On all other Carnival ships, the galley runs from the midship elevators to the aft elevators. For Fantasy class ships, this will affect deck 7 (Empress). For all other classes, this will affect deck 2 (Main). I have been below the dining room (not the galley) on both of these styles of ships, and it was totally perfect! Better than being below guest services or the theater. Better than having a stateroom above you. That's because the dining room is empty all night long, and even when it's being used, you don't hear much if anything, because the dining room is carpeted and people usually aren't stomping around up there.

For aft/mid/forward, midship will experience the least motion. In calm waters, it won't matter. In very rough waters, even midship will feel it, but it will be better than being forward or aft. Higher up rooms feel more motion than the low rooms. I have been forward way down low & way up high, and the up high rooms felt more motion.

The difference I noticed between forward (7 times: 5 of them down low) & aft (2 times) is the consistency of the motion & noise. The forward was very consistent, making it more of a soothing thing. So the waves hitting the front of the ship wasn't a problem for me. But the aft was very inconsistent with the motion & noise, making it something that kept waking me up. Even in calm waters, there would be crazy, odd vibrations & sounds, some of them sounding like crashes, at very inconsistent intervals & volumes. My low aft room was like this, but my aft room midway up was not. Midway-up aft doesn't hear these crazy sounds, but they will still feel the motion of the ship more than midship.

My preferences are deck 2 below the midship dining room or midship deck 7 (on Dream, Splendor, Triumph, Conquest classes). Midship on deck 8 for Dream class is also good. Fantasy class: I would prefer Upper deck midship. Spirit class: Deck 4 midship.

Everyone has their favorite spot. My suggestion is to look at the deck plans either on Carnival's website or one of the host of others. Think about what is important to you. Are you a big Lido deck fan or more of a Lido deck buffet fan? Or maybe you like the shows in the forward showroom? Use the various venues to determine forward, mid or aft.

You always want staterooms above and below. You also want to look at "grey" spaces. These are often steward closets. We were directly across from an access area on the Freedom. Every time a cart crossed the threshold it sounded like a tray of dishes had been dropped.

For hubby and I, we always go back to two below the lido deck just aft of the aft elevators. This is our spot. Two quick flights up the stairs to get my morning coffee and breakfast snacks. Straight down the stairs for breakfast.

Yes I am picky about where my stateroom is located but honestly anywhere on a ship is better than being at work.

You always want staterooms above and below. You also want to look at "grey" spaces. These are often steward closets.

For hubby and I, we always go back to two below the lido deck just aft of the aft elevators. This is our spot. Two quick flights up the stairs to get my morning coffee and breakfast snacks. Straight down the stairs for breakfast.

Yes I am picky about where my stateroom is located but honestly anywhere on a ship is better than being at work.

We probably book the exact same cabins! :) We love this location and have really never encountered vibrations from the aft area. Also being this close to the stairs encourages us to get more exercise and help keep the pounds off with all the extra food. :D

Since it's so subjective, you'll get lots of different answers. We used to love Oceanview aft (2nd floor) but that became too loud for us when docking. We tried midship balconies, and they were ok. But once we got a taste for forward, 9th floor and above, we were hooked.

That said, we're in an aft extended on the 7th floor in Nov on the Splendor and a suite on the Glory (7th floor again) in April.

To each his/her own!

We like forward. The forward elevator bank has the regular elevators plus the glass ones open to the atrium. Much shorter wait times at the elevator. Dream class has 10 elevators up front and just 4 in the aft. On our December cruise only 2 of the 4 worked.

This is what I do as well, or just forward of the elevator. I don't want to get a cabin by the metal strip on the floor across the carpet where there is a joint because cleaning carts crash on it all morning and evening.

And I almost always take a port cabin.

Thank you all for your answers. All had valid points. I'm always worried about boat noises keeping me up and/or waking me up. :-)

fyi carnival has a great deck plan viewer on thier website. choose the explore link, and ships. you can go through each deck and see exactly what is above and below you, around you, elevators, etc

On the Dream Class (Magic, etc) I much prefer a Cloud 9 Spa balcony on deck 11, as forward as possible, but not the very front. Cabins above and below, easy access to the Spa (private stairs) and the Gym, the balcony is so high that you have to strain your neck straight down to see the deck 5 lanai, and since there are not that many cabins in that section, very little foot traffic in the hallways. And even fewer kids since families don't tend to pay extra for those cabins. And getting back to the lido buffet is very easy...just stay on deck 11 and take the back steps down...avoid the crush of people around the main pool. Never really noticed much motion either, but our few cruises have been during some pretty calm weather. We book one balcony room for my wife and I, and the interior right across the hall for our two boys (usually a few bucks cheaper than a balcony room that sleeps 4).

Plus the nervous-nellie in me tells me that catastrophic events on the ship would happened down in the lower decks near the fuel storage, engine room, etc.

Edited by Badfinger

On the Dream Class (Magic, etc) I much prefer a Cloud 9 Spa balcony on deck 11, as forward as possible, but not the very front. Cabins above and below, easy access to the Spa (private stairs) and the Gym, the balcony is so high that you have to strain your neck straight down to see the deck 5 lanai, and since there are not that many cabins in that section, very little foot traffic in the hallways. And even fewer kids since families don't tend to pay extra for those cabins. And getting back to the lido buffet is very easy...just stay on deck 11 and take the back steps down...avoid the crush of people around the main pool. Never really noticed much motion either, but our few cruises have been during some pretty calm weather. We book one balcony room for my wife and I, and the interior right across the hall for our two boys (usually a few bucks cheaper than a balcony room that sleeps 4).

Plus the nervous-nellie in me tells me that catastrophic events on the ship would happened down in the lower decks near the fuel storage, engine room, etc.

I totally think that way too. I don't think I could do a cabin on 1 or 2