Liquor bottle instead of wine in carry-on!

QTPieRye

I continue to have conversations with various friends we travel with regarding the alcohol policy. Many of our friends time and time again just walk thru security with bottles of Malibu, Captain Morgan's etc. instead of wine. Some of them actually believe they are allowed to bring it because they've done it so many times! Good for them and good thing they share!

I continue to have conversations with various friends we travel with regarding the alcohol policy. Many of our friends time and time again just walk thru security with bottles of Malibu, Captain Morgan's etc. instead of wine. Some of them actually believe they are allowed to bring it because they've done it so many times! Good for them and good thing they share!

I've yet to change my MO, and still have never had a problem.

All while Carnival entered the water business. I wonder what it's costing to transport all that cargo and refuse, all while thinking they are taking away domes freedom of having a cocktail in their cabin.

We just cruised out of Baltimore and they were inspecting every bottle that went through the scanners. The person in front of us had a bottle of some liquor that was in a bottle that was shaped like a wine bottle, but it wasn't wine. I wasn't paying that close of attention as to what it actually was, but it was confiscated because it wasn't wine. The person didn't argue, so he must have known he was taking a risk.

We just cruised out of Baltimore and they were inspecting every bottle that went through the scanners. The person in front of us had a bottle of some liquor that was in a bottle that was shaped like a wine bottle, but it wasn't wine. I wasn't paying that close of attention as to what it actually was, but it was confiscated because it wasn't wine. The person didn't argue, so he must have known he was taking a risk.

I bet the security lines were really backed up if they inspected every bottle of wine!:eek:

I bet the security lines were really backed up if they inspected every bottle of wine!:eek:

They also checked every can of soda, opening the 12 packs and taking out the cans. It was at least a 30 minute wait to get through security.

My husband pointed out it is not difficult to cork wine bottles so that they appear unopened. (You can even foil seal them if you have the right tools.)

If you used a green glass bottle, you could easily fill it with liquor and call it wine.

they already banned water due to smugglers, it wont be long before they ban wine due to people who do this.

It's all about dollars and the bottom line. Cruise lines want to make sure they are the only supplier to a "captive" audience.

These sorts of comments never make any sense to me....because you don't HAVE to be a captive audience. One could always vacation on land and drive to nearby liquor stores or bars to imbibe, of your own free will. You know you will be in the middle of the sea - through your own choice - on a cruise ship where they control the foods and drinks.

These sorts of comments never make any sense to me....because you don't HAVE to be a captive audience. One could always vacation on land and drive to nearby liquor stores or bars to imbibe, of your own free will. You know you will be in the middle of the sea - through your own choice - on a cruise ship where they control the foods and drinks.

It's called an "Opinion" which, without them, there would be no Cruise Critic.

They also checked every can of soda, opening the 12 packs and taking out the cans. It was at least a 30 minute wait to get through security.

In NOLA, it wasn't much, if any, of a wait. You went through security, then if you had wine/soda went to a table. Your whole group didn't need to go, just one person. Dh went to the line with the bag, I went with dd to the other line towards the next step in boarding.

They DID inspect each bottle of wine, open each case of soda (top and side). We had all our drinks in a bag (loose cans for some, 4pk red bull, 8 pack boxed juice, 6pk v8 juice, the rest were loose). The lady looked in the bag and dh went along his way, met me in the line to go on the ship, took less than five minutes? We were 'early' as well, since we had priority boarding.

they already banned water due to smugglers, it wont be long before they ban wine due to people who do this.

I made a comment some time ago about Carnival banning carry on drinks such as water and soda. I was flamed like you cant imagine. Well fast forward to July of this year and you can no longer bring bottles on board with the exception of the allowed wine at embarkation.

My point is when someone states, it doesn't effect them if others break the rule, this is an example of how it does.

My daughter and SIL make their own wine so yes they could "bottle" some hard stuff. They have a beautiful label and the bottles are etched with their initials.

And to the OP, your friends must not embark in Galveston. Just before the bottle ban we did a family cruise There were 9 of us with 6 over the age of 21. We had three bottles of wine and six pack of root beer. We packed them together for easy inspection. They made us unpack and inspected each bottle.

We just got back from the Dream a little over a week ago and there was no problem with soda in NOLA. We had a extra wheeled suitcase in which we put 2 12pack cans of soda in. Sent it thru the scanners and we were on our way to the check in desk. No one asked us to open the suitcase or sent us anywhere other than to tell us to head over to the check in line/desk. We did see the table where there was a carnival employee checking some other persons bag. She had a pretty good stack of water bottles, Gatorade, Beer cans and other no no items.

All in all it took dh longer to get his belt and his change and other pocket items out of his pockets and into the container that gets sent thru the scanner then it did for me to lay the suitcase down on the belt and walk thru the scanner thing myself. It was very easy.

We just got back from the Dream a little over a week ago and there was no problem with soda in NOLA. We had a extra wheeled suitcase in which we put 2 12pack cans of soda in. Sent it thru the scanners and we were on our way to the check in desk. No one asked us to open the suitcase or sent us anywhere other than to tell us to head over to the check in line/desk. We did see the table where there was a carnival employee checking some other persons bag. She had a pretty good stack of water bottles, Gatorade, Beer cans and other no no items.

All in all it took dh longer to get his belt and his change and other pocket items out of his pockets and into the container that gets sent thru the scanner then it did for me to lay the suitcase down on the belt and walk thru the scanner thing myself. It was very easy.

In Baltimore, they checked at security. There was no separate table. It would have been much better if there was a separate table.