currently on the Royal transatlantic

tml1230

we about half way across the Atlantic….been a great cruise….ocean is very laid down, its warming up and life is good…our first time on Royal….GREAT ship, GREAT food, and as usual OUTSTANDING crew…..we don't like the layout as well as grand class ships and have a hard time finding a shady or quiet spot…our forward facing balcony is really special…..we envy anybody embarking next week.

PS: only the usual small number of self absorbed folks who can always find things to complain about.

Hopefully you will get back before the two new invests take form and create either tropical storms or a hurricane. We will possibly face the same timing next year as we bring the Regal back from Copenhagen right in the middle of hurricane season.

we about half way across the Atlantic….been a great cruise….ocean is very laid down, its warming up and life is good…our first time on Royal….GREAT ship, GREAT food, and as usual OUTSTANDING crew…..we don't like the layout as well as grand class ships and have a hard time finding a shady or quiet spot…our forward facing balcony is really special…..we envy anybody embarking next week.

PS: only the usual small number of self absorbed folks who can always find things to complain about.

Glad to hear the cruise is going well. I hope to do a TA sometime..I LOVE sea days but my husband, not so much :(

We are boarding Royal October 11. Couple of ??'s. Is the Curtis Stone menu in effect? After hearing of new line management for IC, how is it working out? Any Noro breakouts? Still have Buy one get one for $1 drinks still happening? What movies are showing on MUTS?

Thanking you in advance for your answers!

We are boarding Royal October 11. Couple of ??'s. Is the Curtis Stone menu in effect? After hearing of new line management for IC, how is it working out? Any Noro breakouts? Still have Buy one get one for $1 drinks still happening? What movies are showing on MUTS?

Thanking you in advance for your answers!

Curtis stone menu wasn't in effect…IC food and staff was very good…no Noro outbreaks we are aware of... …but the sinus/ flu/ coughing and hacking by at least half the passengers was very noticeable…after about a week it caught up with my wife and i too…and we are VERY careful about the hygiene….talking to other folks doing a B2B before this transatlantic, said passengers were really suffering on that cruise….fortunately we had plenty of dayquil and nightquil.

really outstanding staff and best buffet meals we have had in years..

we wouldn't do the Royal again due to the ship layout , we favor a promenade deck, more covered pool decks areas, and a "real" wheel house bar….but are glad we did it once.

We also have a forward facing balcony for Nov 10.........pictures please.

Are you on Lido or marina?

We also have a TA booked for next spring so would love to get your input when you return.

Have a wonderful rest of the cruise.

i will post some pics after we unpack….we were in a lido forward facing and really enjoyed it. we could have played basketball out on it!

we also found the elevators for these rooms were easier to access and didn't have the huge crowds trying to get on like the central ship elevators do….

the wind wasn't a problem for us except for a couple days and those days nobody would have enjoyed a balcony anywhere on the ship….

we wouldn't do the Royal again due to the ship layout , we favor a promenade deck, more covered pool decks areas, and a "real" wheel house bar….but are glad we did it once.

We were on the BI cruise before your TA and share many of the same thoughts. I commend Princess with what they did in terms of mixing up the layout of the public areas, the new finishes and colour palette, the more comfortable theatre. However, the lack of the central staircase placing increased pressure on the same number of elevators as in smaller ships, the smaller cabins and balconies, the lack of a promenade deck, lack of an aft view area and the size of the ship is enough to keep us away. We have a cruise booked on the Regal at the end of May but after that we will give these 2 ships a very wide berth.

We were also on the T.A. arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on 9/21. The Royal is clean and very attractive, the food was very good as usual. Just too bad the Horizon Court can't seem to keep food hot. The balcony was smaller but we were able to have our cabin steward open the door between our balcony and that of our travel companions and there was room for the chairs and table.

What really turned us off, and we've cruised for 20 years, was the lack of common courtesy among the passengers, especially on the elevators.

Is it difficult to step out of the elevator to allow someone stuck in the back, a chance to exit after repeating 'excuse me'? And must people push onto an obviously full elevator just because it stopped in front of them?? Another one will definitely be coming!

Once we saw a couple actually pushing and running to get to their tour bus while the ship's employee kept repeating that if you had a tour ticket you were guaranteed a seat.

I also wish Princess followed through with their posted regulations. NO shorts in the dining room should mean NO shorts in the dining room, even if it is the last dinner night. Formal night means a tie and hopefully a jacket, not just an opened neck sports shirt.

Of course, 90% of the cruisers acted and looked appropriate. Its just a shame that there's always those who think the rules and courtesies are for anyone but them.

I also wish Princess followed through with their posted regulations. NO shorts in the dining room should mean NO shorts in the dining room, even if it is the last dinner night. Formal night means a tie and hopefully a jacket, not just an opened neck sports shirt.

Of course, 90% of the cruisers acted and looked appropriate. Its just a shame that there's always those who think the rules and courtesies are for anyone but them.

This is a reason, after qualifying for Platinum status on Carnival, we have switched to Princess for all of our upcoming cruises. If you have a policy, enforce it. Otherwise, get rid of it. I understand (as you said) there will always be a small group of people who just don't give a hoot, but as long as the majority still do.. that's good enough for us.

On this cruise the elevator behavior was the worst we've ever seen, and it has been getting worse with every cruise we've taken in the last couple of years. There seemed to be a general feeling that the elevator should be packed as tightly as possible with everyone squeezed against other passengers. When we were on already full elevators some people were encouraging those waiting to force their way in. They often quoted the 15 person capacity and tried to jam 15 or more people in whether there were walkers, canes or just large people. Many of us finally got to the point where we got on an elevator, stood at a normal distance from other passengers and refused to budge when people tried to force their way in. I can't help but think that these elevators were a big cause of all of the colds onboard, too.

For us when sailing the Regal or Royal, which we have done once each, it is essential to have a cabin near the stairs, preferably forward, so we can utilize the stairs as much as possible. On our last cruise on the Regal we were on Deck 8 forward and it was perfect. Did not require using elevator to get down to dining rooms, International Café, etc and after a show very easy to walk up a couple of flights to our cabin.

Elevator etiquette seems to have gone by the wayside, along with so many other common courtesies! :confused:

Edited by sunsetbeachgal