Carnival no longer serving Lobster on 5 day or shorter cruises!

CruizinMama1026

You're crazy. Going on the Vista TA.....13 nights for $800. Where will I ever get a two week land based for that.

Thank you. Don't know where everyone else is doing there research. In some cases prices have went up a little but still $300-$700 less than other lines (I've only priced balcony rooms so I'm not sure about other rooms)

To me, lobster is symbolic of the classic cruise elegant night, which seems to be slowly disappearing from the cruise world in general. I'm guessing that Carnival believes people who book shorter cruises aren't looking for that type of experience and won't miss the lobster too much. My friends and I were among the only ones dressing nice every night on our four-day. This is just part of a general trend in society -- we recently visited a place that used to require dresses and ties and now turns a blind eye to all the patrons in jeans.

They tried that once about 20 years ago on all their ships, and it backfired miserably.

Look what happened in the past couple of years trying to remove shrimp cocktail or escargot.

They will have a rude awakening when the 99% that don't read Internet cruise sites find this out when it rolls out. It will be worse than trying to remove 24 hour pizza.

Its my highlight meal of my Carnival cruises, love to eat 4 or 5 of them, thankfully we normally do not take cruises less than 5 nights but this a big cutback

Gee......I wonder why the cutback?

This is what happens, rather than just limiting folks to 1 per person, they take it away altogether.

• 1 month later...
Really disappointing:

I have grown to really enjoy lobster night.

As per John Heald:

"Yes it is true but only on certain cruises. We've had to discontinue serving lobster on cruises of 5 days or less due to the significant increase in the cost of lobster. Discontinuing lobster on short cruises will allow us to continue offering our cruises at great value.

So, effective with sailings of 5 days or less departing 19th September 2015, we are adjusting our main dining room dinner menu that is offered on Elegant Night. We will be providing new cuisine options as follows:

Appetizer: Broiled Sea Scallops with Truffled Risotto and Citrus Gremolata appetizer

Entrees: Blue Crab Ravioli in a Light Lobster Cream with Vodka

Oven Baked Japanese Sea Bass with Nicoise Sauce and Aromatic Basmati Rice

Grilled Jumbo Shrimp with Special Marinara Sauce and Mustard Potatoes

Roasted Duck with Orange Glaze and Au Gratin Potatoes

Other guest favorites including Tender Roasted Prime Rib, Barbecued St. Louis Spare Ribs and Zucchini and Eggplant Parmigiana will continue to be offered as well.

This does not affect voyages of 6 days or longer, lobster will continue to be offered once each cruise on the Elegant Night menu.

Thanks and let me know if you have further questions

cheers"

Thanks for sharing, too bad about the lobster but I will look forward to trying one of the other dishes instead. Anyone have pics of the other dishes yet?

Sad to hear but it won't affect my decision in the long run. It isn't a make or break it thing for me and we usually end up in the Steakhouse once or twice anyways where I can get a much better lobster. I just paid $1135 for a 7 night cruise out of New Orleans in a Balcony cabin for 3 people. My first cruise in an inside cabin for 5 days in 2002 was $900 for two people. I will take lower prices over lobster.

Edited by tkportersat

All cruise lines could drop lobster in its entirety and it wouldn't be a loss.

If you were standing next to a stinking dumpster and a foot long bug climbed out of said stinking dumpster, would your first thought be YUM?

Then why do you think that for lobsters/shrimp/crabs?

NCL has and they've lost my business because of it (and other things) so it most definitely is a loss for NCL..

Your words, not mine. You waste an awful lot of energy telling people they shouldn't be disappointed in cutbacks. But, you know so much about common sense...

To many people it is not considered a cutback. Just because one person deems a change a cutback doesn't mean everyone does. For instance, I was thrilled that the steel drum bands were removed from the Lido deck. Others were less than thrilled and started shouting cutback when I thought the removal was an enhancement.

To many people it is not considered a cutback. Just because one person deems a change a cutback doesn't mean everyone does. For instance, I was thrilled that the steel drum bands were removed from the Lido deck. Others were less than thrilled and started shouting cutback when I thought the removal was an enhancement.

Okay. To me it is a cutback. Removing something that was included is a cutback.

Whether you think it enhances your experience or not is a different topic. The fact of the matter remains that the cruise line has cutback on something they offered. All the cruise lines do it. I'm not picking on carnival. Some people don't care.

Edited by LMaxwell

I only had the lobster once, not my thing.

My question is...will those new dishes be available on shorter cruises with the American Table menu? I'm wondering, because some of it sounds delicious and we are on the Inspiration in a couple weeks.

Available in September. I had the duck and it was delicious.

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams), lobster, and Creme brulee!

Whether you think it enhances your experience or not is a different topic. The fact of the matter remains that the cruise line has cutback on something they offered. All the cruise lines do it. I'm not picking on carnival. Some people don't care.

Is it always a cutback if it's replaced with something new? For instance, if they can source better quality ingredients for the dishes (Edit: new dishes, I mean) offered or other dishes [Edit: older dishes, maybe even the lobster itself] by removing lobster from short cruises is that still a cutback? It seems like it could simply be prioritization to me. To me, it would be more of a cutback if they'd removed it with no other additional adjustments.

Edited by berrieh

Actually no, it's the same topic. If a change enhances some's cruise experience, it's an enhancement. On the other hand, if a change detracts from one's cruise experience, it's a cutback. There are many here who would think stopping the waiter's singing and dancing in the MDR would be an enhancement, others would think it's another cutback. Same with the lobster. While I do believe it to be a cutback (because I enjoy the lobster) I can understand why many would think of it as an enhancement (because they didn't like the lobster to begin with but now it may be replaced with something they do like). So as I said, it may or may not be a cutback or an enhancement depending on which side of the fence you sit on.

Is it always a cutback if it's replaced with something new? For instance, if they can source better quality ingredients for the dishes (Edit: new dishes, I mean) offered or other dishes [Edit: older dishes, maybe even the lobster itself] by removing lobster from short cruises is that still a cutback? It seems like it could simply be prioritization to me. To me, it would be more of a cutback if they'd removed it with no other additional adjustments.

It's only NOT a cutback when the replacement is comparable.

Not sure why so many people are giving me flak. If Ravioli instead of lobster is the same thing in your viewpoint, more power to you. I think it is NOT comparable. Just different opinions.

Not sure why so many people are giving me flak. If Ravioli instead of lobster is the same thing in your viewpoint, more power to you. I think it is NOT comparable. Just different opinions.

If you don't understand by now, you never will. Not that it matters.

If you don't understand by now, you never will. Not that it matters.

I understand it perfectly. Lobster is gone from cruises 5 days or less, replaced with cheaper to serve items. They did this to save money. If I'm not getting it, let me know. I think I understand it just as it is.

Edited by LMaxwell

For those debating the definition of "cutback:" An act or instance of reducing something, especially expenditure Oxford Dictionary

Therefore, if serving ravioli instead of lobster is cheaper to do, it is a cutback. If you are one who prefers ravioli, then it is a good thing to you. Nonetheless, it is still a cutback by definition.

Raise your hand if you think Carnival is replacing lobster tails with pasta because they wish to enhance your dining experience. I didn't think so... oh wait, I see you there in the back. Bless your heart. ;-)

Edited by Towel Critter

First: They added quite a few new items to the menu to replace lobster and soften the blow, not just ravioli.

Second: I was thinking of food cost as a whole. I do not, personally, know whether this move actually reduced food cost as a whole or merely prioritized (among the whole fleet, not just short cruises) food quality and kept food cost the same or similar while prioritizing differently. I do not know if CCL food cost is currently higher or lower than previously.

To me, for it to be a cutback, it would have to purely reduce food cost, not re-prioritize it. Again, if all the money "saved" was re-invested in food cost for better quality ingredients fleet-wide, I don't see it as a cutback, especially with a few things added to soften the blow to customers on shorter cruises.

Really disappointing:

I have grown to really enjoy lobster night.

As per John Heald:

"Yes it is true but only on certain cruises. We've had to discontinue serving lobster on cruises of 5 days or less due to the significant increase in the cost of lobster. Discontinuing lobster on short cruises will allow us to continue offering our cruises at great value.

"

First: They added quite a few new items to the menu to replace lobster and soften the blow, not just ravioli.

Second: I was thinking of food cost as a whole. I do not, personally, know whether this move actually reduced food cost as a whole or merely prioritized (among the whole fleet, not just short cruises) food quality and kept food cost the same or similar while prioritizing differently. I do not know if CCL food cost is currently higher or lower than previously.

To me, for it to be a cutback, it would have to purely reduce food cost, not re-prioritize it. Again, if all the money "saved" was re-invested in food cost for better quality ingredients fleet-wide, I don't see it as a cutback, especially with a few things added to soften the blow to customers on shorter cruises.

You make an excellent and well thought out argument, but John Heald all but said it was to reduce costs, or at least maintain their costs.

I''m surprised to see so many say they don't mind or don't care, but that is their prerogative. But I'll let Carnival know my feelings on my post cruise survey as well as any Maitre D' or Head Waiter that does the end of the cruise stop and chat for a tip thing.

Edited by LMaxwell

For those debating the definition of "cutback:" An act or instance of reducing something, especially expenditure Oxford Dictionary

Therefore, if serving ravioli instead of lobster is cheaper to do, it is a cutback. If you are one who prefers ravioli, then it is a good thing to you. Nonetheless, it is still a cutback by definition.

Raise your hand if you think Carnival is replacing lobster tails with pasta because they wish to enhance your dining experience. I didn't think so... oh wait, I see you there in the back. Bless your heart. ;-)

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!:D