Carnival no longer serving Lobster on 5 day or shorter cruises!

CruizinMama1026

For those debating the definition of "cutback:" An act or instance of reducing something, especially expenditure Oxford Dictionary

Therefore, if serving ravioli instead of lobster is cheaper to do, it is a cutback. If you are one who prefers ravioli, then it is a good thing to you. Nonetheless, it is still a cutback by definition.

Raise your hand if you think Carnival is replacing lobster tails with pasta because they wish to enhance your dining experience. I didn't think so... oh wait, I see you there in the back. Bless your heart. ;-)

IMO, this is incorrect as you're not looking at the big picture. If a person never ate the lobster to begin with but would desire to eat the ravioli, then the menu was not reduced but instead expanded and therefore, to those people, it is not a cutback.

You make an excellent and well thought out argument, but John Heald all but said it was to reduce costs, or at least maintain their costs.

I''m surprised to see so many say they don't mind or don't care, but that is their prerogative. But I'll let Carnival know my feelings on my post cruise survey as well as any Maitre D' or Head Waiter that does the end of the cruise stop and chat for a tip thing.

I know that some never cared for the lobster, for whatever reason. I'm one that loves the lobster but rarely take anything less than a 7 night cruise so for me, cutting lobster out on 5 night cruises or less is immaterial. Even if they do cut it from the menu completely (such as NCL has done), I would be slightly disappointed but also happy with the new scallop risotto app being served (might have to take a 5 night now just to try that app).

I know that some never cared for the lobster, for whatever reason. I'm one that loves the lobster but rarely take anything less than a 7 night cruise so for me, cutting lobster out on 5 night cruises or less is immaterial. Even if they do cut it from the menu completely (such as NCL has done), I would be slightly disappointed but also happy with the new scallop risotto app being served (might have to take a 5 night now just to try that app).

Your money is as green as mine and your voice should be heard the same. If you try the new dishes and like them, let carnival know your feelings. If you try them and don't like them, let carnival know your feelings.

But sooner or later my feeling is that they will be gone from 7 day cruises and be relegated to the longer "Journey's" cruises.

IMO, this is incorrect as you're not looking at the big picture. If a person never ate the lobster to begin with but would desire to eat the ravioli, then the menu was not reduced but instead expanded and therefore, to those people, it is not a cutback.

The definition of a word IS the definition of that word. Whether or not a few people are pleased with a cutback is immaterial as to whether or not it really is a cutback. Let's say I just booked my first cruise a month after Carnival has cut chocolate melting cake fleet wide, because the cost of chocolate has increased and to continue serving it they would have to raise cruise fares by 5% to cover the increased cost of chocolate and not compromise their usual profit margin. I don't visit CC, or any other cruise sites, so I have no idea they used to serve CMC. I go on the cruise, have a great time, and never miss the CMC, since I never cruised when they were serving it. I am not aware of the cutback, and darn it, I'm allergic to chocolate anyway, so I wouldn't have eaten it. In it's place they now serve Ginger Snaps. Man, I LOVE GINGER SNAPS!!! It's a win/win for me all the way around, even though I don't know it. Was replacing CMC with Ginger Snaps a cutback? Of course it was. My personal feeling on the matter, and my ignorance of the matter, changes the definition of "cutback" not one iota. If Ginger Snaps were all the rage and very pricey because the supply can't keep up with the demand for them, while lobster was dirt cheap and considered an inferior menu item, THEN the change would not be a cutback and would, in fact, be an upgrade. Our feelings and preferences do not change the definition of a word.

If this passes without resistance it will be removed from the 7 day cruises as well. Will you complain then?

If this passes without resistance it will be removed from the 7 day cruises as well.

I've no doubt of that, unfortunately. It won't be quite a deal breaker for me, but even a camel's back breaks when it has enough straw loaded on it. And it seems like it's been one straw after another lately with my favorite cruise line, Carnival.:(

Your money is as green as mine and your voice should be heard the same. If you try the new dishes and like them, let carnival know your feelings. If you try them and don't like them, let carnival know your feelings.

But sooner or later my feeling is that they will be gone from 7 day cruises and be relegated to the longer "Journey's" cruises.

That's also a very real possibility as well. Something we'll just have to wait and see on.

Yes, I always fill out the cruise questionnaires. I would hope others do the same instead of just praising or complaining to others where the praise or criticism goes unheard by the people that actually need to hear it.

The definition of a word IS the definition of that word. Whether or not a few people are pleased with a cutback is immaterial as to whether or not it really is a cutback. Let's say I just booked my first cruise a month after Carnival has cut chocolate melting cake fleet wide, because the cost of chocolate has increased and to continue serving it they would have to raise cruise fares by 5% to cover the increased cost of chocolate and not compromise their usual profit margin. I don't visit CC, or any other cruise sites, so I have no idea they used to serve CMC. I go on the cruise, have a great time, and never miss the CMC, since I never cruised when they were serving it. I am not aware of the cutback, and darn it, I'm allergic to chocolate anyway, so I wouldn't have eaten it. In it's place they now serve Ginger Snaps. Man, I LOVE GINGER SNAPS!!! It's a win/win for me all the way around, even though I don't know it. Was replacing CMC with Ginger Snaps a cutback? Of course it was. My personal feeling on the matter, and my ignorance of the matter, changes the definition of "cutback" not one iota. If Ginger Snaps were all the rage and very pricey because the supply can't keep up with the demand for them, while lobster was dirt cheap and considered an inferior menu item, THEN the change would not be a cutback and would, in fact, be an upgrade. Our feelings and preferences do not change the definition of a word.

I never said our feelings change the definition of the word cutback. Our feelings DO determine whether the word cutback was the correct word to use to begin with. Using your example, whether or not I knew that they had CMC, which I detest, I would not see it as a cutback but an enhancement if they replaced it with Ginger Snaps (which I too love and am munching on as I type this). So to go from say 2 edible desserts to 3 edible desserts is an enhancement, not a cutback, in anyone's book, no matter what the food was or is.

If this passes without resistance it will be removed from the 7 day cruises as well. Will you complain then?

Absolutely not. It may cause me to cruise with a line that still carries lobster but no, why would I complain about how a privately owned company decides to run itself? Not my call, simply my decision to decide if they fit my needs. If they do, I sail with them. if they don't, I don't sail with them. No need to complain whatsoever.

I never said our feelings change the definition of the word cutback. Our feelings DO determine whether the word cutback was the correct word to use to begin with. Using your example, whether or not I knew that they had CMC, which I detest, I would not see it as a cutback but an enhancement if they replaced it with Ginger Snaps (which I too love and am munching on as I type this). So to go from say 2 edible desserts to 3 edible desserts is an enhancement, not a cutback, in anyone's book, no matter what the food was or is.
A cutback is a cutback because of money saved, not because it turns out to be popular with someone, or someones. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion and there is nothing to be gained by arguing this indefinitely. We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't care for Ginger Snaps, btw. But I'm glad you like them. :-) Happy cruising!

The only ones who can complain are those who had booked 5-day cruises and were past the cancellation deadline when this lobster change was announced. All others still had a choice.

IMO they could cut back a lot of offerings on the menus and buffets by 50% or more and I would not care.

Wow, do people really cruise for Lobster, wouldn't it be cheaper to go to Red Lobster? :rolleyes:

Not if you have a Red Lobster as bad as the one I live near. We went for our anniversary a couple years ago. Kids had given us a gift card. The lobster tails were so rubbery, you could probably have played hand ball with them. Maybe I should have tried it out in the restaurant. Probably would have gotten more attention than the complaints.

I'll probably pay the extra for the lobster if I end up on a 5 dayer for my next cruise.

Edited by sammee

Not if you have a Red Lobster as bad as the one I live near. We went for our anniversary a couple years ago. Kids had given us a gift card. The lobster tails were so rubbery, you could probably have played hand ball with them. Maybe I should have tried it out in the restaurant. Probably would have gotten more attention than the complaints.

I'll probably pay the extra for the lobster if I end up on a 5 dayer for my next cruise.

HOLD THE FRONT DOOR......................

That is the way our lobster was on our last Carnival cruise........:eek:

I say scrap the lobster and continue to develop better tasting dishes...;)

HOLD THE FRONT DOOR......................

That is the way our lobster was on our last Carnival cruise........:eek:

I say scrap the lobster and continue to develop better tasting dishes...;)

the 2 scallops we got for the app. was good!:) the ravioli was really bad in my opinion. I would rather had the lobster 3 weeks ago!:)

Its my highlight meal of my Carnival cruises, love to eat 4 or 5 of them, thankfully we normally do not take cruises less than 5 nights but this a big cutback

Exactly! As always I'm sure the pathetic cheerleaders will find an excuse to say it is not a cutback.

Since I've yet to see a post on the amount of money Carnival previously spent on lobster for cruises less than 6 days compared to the amount of money spent on all of the new options they will be serving on those cruises, I'm not sure how anyone can say for sure whether or not it was actually a "cutback".

It's pretty obvious from this thread that people's views on lobster are extremely varied from "I won't sail a line that doesn't serve lobster on formal night" to "thank god they stopped serving lobster, it's terrible anyway". I've only been on 2 cruises, one with RCI and one with Carnival. I did not get lobster on either, but DW did on both. Both times she thought it was "just OK, nothing special". I can say with 100% certainty that the availability of lobster on a cruise will have nothing to do with my decision to cruise or not with any given line. I completely understand that some people find this very disappointing. What I find mind boggling though is that some people will not cruise with a specific line because they no longer have lobster. Now, I assume that is not the ONLY reason they no longer cruise there, but for many it seems to be a big reason. You obviously liked many other things about that particular line that you continued to cruise with them, why not at least give it a try before you decide that no lobster is a deal breaker?

DW and I are currently booked on a 5 day and 4 day B2B on Victory in January. Victory does not have a steakhouse (afaIk) so I have no idea if the up charge lobster will even be available to us. If it is, we may or may not order it, I'll wait until the menu is in front of me before I decide what I want. What I can say though is that I'm looking forward to trying some of the new options they've replaced the lobster with.

The only ones who can complain are those who had booked 5-day cruises and were past the cancellation deadline when this lobster change was announced. All others still had a choice.

IMO they could cut back a lot of offerings on the menus and buffets by 50% or more and I would not care.

For those who booked ES, canceling even before final payment date would result in the loss of $50. Wonder if Carnival would make a full refund, even to ES folks, who call in to complain and cancel over this??

Since I've yet to see a post on the amount of money Carnival previously spent on lobster for cruises less than 6 days compared to the amount of money spent on all of the new options they will be serving on those cruises, I'm not sure how anyone can say for sure whether or not it was actually a "cutback".

John Heald specifically stated that the lobster was removed due to increasing costs. I can not imagine the replacement items are costing MORE than lobster if the reason for removal was cost.

DW and I are currently booked on a 5 day and 4 day B2B on Victory in January. Victory does not have a steakhouse (afaIk) so I have no idea if the up charge lobster will even be available to us. If it is, we may or may not order it, I'll wait until the menu is in front of me before I decide what I want. What I can say though is that I'm looking forward to trying some of the new options they've replaced the lobster with.

The Victory doesn't have a steakhouse, but they will offer some selections from it every day for an extra cost. What's offered may vary from day to day.

Just cruised last week on Fascination. The three people in our party that had the ravioli all gave it "thumbs up".

I don't do lobster or crab, so I was indifferent.

Just glad that I don't have to read of people bragging at their ordering 12 lobsters for dinner anymore on the shorter cruises. ;)

Absolutely not. It may cause me to cruise with a line that still carries lobster but no, why would I complain about how a privately owned company decides to run itself? Not my call, simply my decision to decide if they fit my needs. If they do, I sail with them. if they don't, I don't sail with them. No need to complain whatsoever.
Love this post . So many posts sound like complaints about an old lover . And if you disagree then you're a cheerleader . If you don't like whatever , move on !

Hold your horses . Why would you be satisfied with a " cut back a lot of offerings on the menus and buffets by 50% or more " . Frankly I could take or leave the mini lobster tails but a massive cut to the food ? Why would you not care (unless you mean you wouldn't care because you are no longer going Carnival).