Mock Booking - Carnival vs. Celebrity

CHMan00

I've done the Summit out of San Juan, in Aqua Class, and it was wonderful! But I think it would be boring for kids. And it was dead at night. And we're in our 50's, and giggled about how young we felt on the ship. But the food and service and the ship in general was great and we loved the ports. I think every ship and cruise line has its pros and cons. We look at the itinerary and price and dates. I think the lines are more alike than different - we will have fun on any of them.

Op, thank you for posting this. I have been stating for the last couple of years that Carnival is no longer the cheapest cruise line but then there are certain Carnival cheerleaders that tell me I am wrong. Our last Princess cruises (26 days) were definitely cheaper than what we are paying right now for our next Carnival cruises (21 days).

After the Journeys cruises we will be looking for the best price and itinerary, all cruise lines, not just Carnival.

Hi there

I am sure that often Carnival's prices are not the best ( cheapest ) price, but I did say that I believe generally they are.

I am always looking for best value/price, and I have to say that I am most often sailing with Carnival. I would guess that often it may be on what cabin class you choose. For instance a lot of the "perks" offered are only of any value if you book a balcony or higher. I won't book a balcony cabin any more. This may account for some of the different findings.

For example "cruzinlisa" gave an example for a 5 day cruise...while our next cruise is an 8 day with a nice itinerary and for 3 people in an OV cabin our total is less than what she is paying. So from my perspective I really find it hard to think that we are not getting really good value(cheap). Very often when I see what others are paying I am thinking that I could cruise twice for that price.

When I find better value with other cruise lines I do choose them. This is a very competitive industry and it is well worth the effort to evaluate all the promotions.

happy hunting (for the best price)

and

happy sailing to all

That's surprising to see!

Celebrity is a different animal than Carnival. "Modern Luxury" as they describe it. However, it will not be a Carnival experience, it is way more sedate. If that is something you can handle, go for it. The best way I could describe Celebrity is that it is RCI's version of Cunard, but without the British accent.

Also, learn a few words of Greek for when you meet the captain, it just might land you at his table for dinner, as I know first hand several times over! :D

I"m not sure what you mean by "way more sedate," but I have sailed on Celebrity several times and had a ball. There were plenty of fun things to do, and the nightlife was great.

While I do not disagree with the OP, I can say that during my one Celebrity cruise I said "never again"

Not only was I not happy with the ship...we only pre-paid 1/2 our gratuities and were going to do the other half (and then some) cash at the end of the cruise... That is until our room steward flat out asked us why we were stiffing him gratuities. I felt very uncomfortable (he cornered me in my own room) as it was only one night into the cruise and he already seemed to know who had paid what. I tried talking to guest services but they laughed at me. I asked if it was appropriate for him to behave that way and they just shrugged. Turned me off for a very long time. I still cringe when I think about cruising that line again. Terrible, I know.

That being said, I did do a mock booking for Alaska and found Celebrity price for a balcony room (where I could find one) was around $1400 more than the equivalent Carnival sailing.

Op, thank you for posting this. I have been stating for the last couple of years that Carnival is no longer the cheapest cruise line but then there are certain Carnival cheerleaders that tell me I am wrong. Our last Princess cruises (26 days) were definitely cheaper than what we are paying right now for our next Carnival cruises (21 days).

After the Journeys cruises we will be looking for the best price and itinerary, all cruise lines, not just Carnival.

I'm a Carnival cheerleader. Love Carnival and gave a blast on every cruise. Two points:

1) I want Carnival to get as much revenue per room as they can. If they can get more than you (or anyone else) is willing to pay, I want them to do that even if it means you go on another line.

2) Everyone should look at all cruise lines and pick the best ship and itinerary for their price. If it's not Carnival, then so be it.

Pretty much how the world of business works.