Arrivals at Princess Juliana Intl Airport

ConshyCrock

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to easily tell how many flights will be arriving on a specific day in January 2016 at Princess Juliana International Airport on St. Maarten? We will be there on our next cruise (which I cannot believe leaves 4 months from today! WOOOOO!!!) and we cannot wait to experience Maho Beach. The airport's website only lists arrivals two days out and I can't think of any other way than checking sites for different airlines.

You can try flightaware. It won't tell you the day specifically but it will give you historical data on the daily routes and you can get an idea of how many and what time the flights arrive. Most airlines fly the same schedules to the airports.

Depends - when in January??? KLM brings in their 747- which is the priority to see, some weeks, Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. We occasionally fly there for short visits of a few days with that a priority.

From a cruise, I suggest an earlier start- so you can get decent seating at Sunset Bar. Purchase a beer or soda, and you can sit there all day. :)

Be aware that - frequently the surf board is not accurate. Plus the time is local, which ships aren't on.

Most of the big stuff arrives in the afternoon, buts it's usually a pretty active airport none the less.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to easily tell how many flights will be arriving on a specific day in January 2016 at Princess Juliana International Airport on St. Maarten? We will be there on our next cruise (which I cannot believe leaves 4 months from today! WOOOOO!!!) and we cannot wait to experience Maho Beach. The airport's website only lists arrivals two days out and I can't think of any other way than checking sites for different airlines.

Check flightaware.com. Check the arrivals for the same day of the week you are planning to be there in Jan. That will give you a rough idea. Great site. If you need any directions on working the site or would like me to look up schedules for you for a particular date drop me an e-mail. I work for an airline and have access to all the major airlines schedules. Would be happy to help. I have been to Maho twice and have had a great time.

Jeff

jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com

We can talk airplanes too, if you like.

Edited by Jay Sam
addition

Pretty sure it will be January 23

I've been to St. Maarten several times and always love watching the planes from Maho Beach. Here's what I've found for Jan. 23 based on the flight routes I know of. This doesn't include the local carriers (Winair, Insel, etc.) or any cargo/charter flights. Of course this is subject to change at the whim of the airlines. :) Hope this helps.

Flight................. From.......... Arrives....... Aircraft

Air Transat 158........ Montreal...... 11:30am....... 737-800

Air Transat 218........ Toronto....... 12noon........ 737-800

American 1596.......... New York-JFK.. 12:22pm....... 757-200

American 1720.......... Charlotte..... 12:35pm....... A319

United 1629............ Newark........ 1pm........... 737-700

Delta 913.............. Atlanta....... 1:15pm........ 737-700

JetBlue 787............ New York-JFK.. 1:34pm........ A320

United 1444............ Newark........ 2:10pm........ 737-700

American 1753 ......... Charlotte .... 2:15pm ....... 757-200

Delta 461 ............. New York-JFK . 2:20pm ....... 757-200

American 518 .......... Philadelphia . 2:36pm ....... 757-200

Air France 498 ........ Paris-CDG .... 2:55pm ....... A340-300

American 2219 ......... Miami ........ 3:18pm ....... 737-800

Air Caraibes .......... Paris-ORY .... 3:20pm ....... A330-200

Delta 908 ............. Atlanta ...... 3:30pm ....... 757-200

JetBlue 1850 .......... San Juan ..... 3:51pm ....... E190

American 867 .......... Charlotte .... 4:15pm ....... 757-200

United 1671 ........... Chicago-ORD .. 4:15pm ....... 737-700

American 1807 ......... Philadelphia . 4:49pm ....... 757-200

JetBlue 1487 .......... New York-JFK . 5:09pm ....... A320

Air Canada 1808 ....... Toronto ...... 6:15pm ....... 767-300

Air France ............ Paris-CDG .... 8:15pm ....... A340-300

American 1376 ......... Miami ........ 11:01pm ...... 737-800

I felt obligated to share:

http://www.bonvoyagebites.com/2015/05/st-maarten-princess-juliana-airport-landings-and-takeoff-at-maho-beach/

A little video I made as an afterthought with video and photos that I took when we were on our cruise. There is one shot where you can see me with sunglasses that had no lenses... Blame Insel air for blowing them off my face ;)

Didn't read the whole thread, but we were there last week. There is no beach left. One of the tropical storms washed it away. All that's left are huge boulders where the sand was. They had to put them there to keep the road from eroding.

There was no talk of them filling it back in, but you have some time. Things could change by January.

Sunset Bar is still there. You can watch from there. But if you want to get right under the planes, you would have to scramble over the boulders.

Edited by OHCruisin

I've been to St. Maarten several times and always love watching the planes from Maho Beach. Here's what I've found for Jan. 23 based on the flight routes I know of. This doesn't include the local carriers (Winair, Insel, etc.) or any cargo/charter flights. Of course this is subject to change at the whim of the airlines. :) Hope this helps.

Flight................. From.......... Arrives....... Aircraft

Air Transat 158........ Montreal...... 11:30am....... 737-800

Air Transat 218........ Toronto....... 12noon........ 737-800

American 1596.......... New York-JFK.. 12:22pm....... 757-200

American 1720.......... Charlotte..... 12:35pm....... A319

United 1629............ Newark........ 1pm........... 737-700

Delta 913.............. Atlanta....... 1:15pm........ 737-700

JetBlue 787............ New York-JFK.. 1:34pm........ A320

United 1444............ Newark........ 2:10pm........ 737-700

American 1753 ......... Charlotte .... 2:15pm ....... 757-200

Delta 461 ............. New York-JFK . 2:20pm ....... 757-200

American 518 .......... Philadelphia . 2:36pm ....... 757-200

Air France 498 ........ Paris-CDG .... 2:55pm ....... A340-300

American 2219 ......... Miami ........ 3:18pm ....... 737-800

Air Caraibes .......... Paris-ORY .... 3:20pm ....... A330-200

Delta 908 ............. Atlanta ...... 3:30pm ....... 757-200

JetBlue 1850 .......... San Juan ..... 3:51pm ....... E190

American 867 .......... Charlotte .... 4:15pm ....... 757-200

United 1671 ........... Chicago-ORD .. 4:15pm ....... 737-700

American 1807 ......... Philadelphia . 4:49pm ....... 757-200

JetBlue 1487 .......... New York-JFK . 5:09pm ....... A320

Air Canada 1808 ....... Toronto ...... 6:15pm ....... 767-300

Air France ............ Paris-CDG .... 8:15pm ....... A340-300

American 1376 ......... Miami ........ 11:01pm ...... 737-800

Wow, thanks for doing the legwork for me! But I'm sad to say that, after reading the last post, it might all be for naught...

Wow, thanks for doing the legwork for me! But I'm sad to say that, after reading the last post, it might all be for naught...

I've never found this to be a "good" swim area. Many times when I've been there- you've had to watch out for rough surf and undertows, there are no life guards. I've seen plenty people pounded with not even going out very far.

There wasn't much beach to begin with, but they may have an improvement by time you are there?

Do you happen to be there, when a 747 comes in? I've seen them several times- worth the time there for my aviation husband. :)

Fellow cruisers have said locals told them that the beach comes and goes, that it will likely be back by December.

From all accounts, it's not a great beach to spend the day at; it's best just for viewing the planes.

Here's hoping things change for you!

I would be surprised if there was no beach in January at Maho. I have never heard, seen or read about this happening at that time of year. You could do a search on this board and read threads and look at pictures or go to the review section and read reviews on Maho from the month of January.