A Daily Vlog on Anthem of the Seas

dst87

I think our "status" on Celebrity (low as it is) should get us robes on Anthem. Woo-hoo!

Last year on Equinox we had robes in our room (regular balcony). It was just our second cruise with X (Captain's club).

Also, we had robes on Jewel and Radiance (regular balcony), and we only "discovered" signing up for C&A this year re: Anthem's sailing (gold).

I find it weird that in the last years we got robes without any "status", and now you've got to be a higher level to enjoy them :confused:

Thanks very much! It's nice that we're finally getting the same rights to miserably married as everyone else ;) - A joke from a comedian I like... we're not miserable quite yet!

I'm ashamed to say that neither Alex or I visited the fitness centre while on board Anthem, so I can't help with your question! Sorry!

There's a fairly well known cartoon from The New Yorker that shows a man and a woman watching the news on TV and the man reading a paper and saying, "Gays and lesbians getting married -- haven't they suffered enough?" :) Someone turned it into a greeting card. I gave it to my spouse for our (not miserable!) anniversary one year.

You didn't make it to the gym! Shame on you! ;)

And I'm totally SOLD on the Kummelweck from Two70º. SO SO SO delicious - I hope this is available on every Royal ship! :)

Am Emerald on Royal and didn't get a robe on my last cruise Quantum Dec 1, 2014. The only time We got a robe we were Platinum and our stateroom attendant was very nice and gave us one. Let's see if we get one on Anthem Nov 30, 2015

Kümmelweck sandwiches are available on Allure and Oasis for sure, possibly any ship with a Park Café (we'll find out this January on Vision). I've also heard that some ships will do these sandwiches as part of the MDR lunch at a carving station.

We got robes once while we were only gold (on Oasis), in just an ocean view cabin, not sure why. Since then, as far as I recall we've gotten them but haven't always used them.

You can always ask your cabin attendant if there are any "extras" and he or she may be able to provide robes. Much better than packing one.

Kümmelweck sandwiches are available on Allure and Oasis for sure, possibly any ship with a Park Café (we'll find out this January on Vision). I've also heard that some ships will do these sandwiches as part of the MDR lunch at a carving station.

We got robes once while we were only gold (on Oasis), in just an ocean view cabin, not sure why. Since then, as far as I recall we've gotten them but haven't always used them.

You can always ask your cabin attendant if there are any "extras" and he or she may be able to provide robes. Much better than packing one.

That's good to know about the Kummelweck... I tried making some rolls and roasting the beef etc. the other day and it worked out pretty well. The rolls didn't rise quite as well as they should have and were a little too dense and not really crispy enough, but happy for a first attempt!

That's good to know about the Kummelweck... I tried making some rolls and roasting the beef etc. the other day and it worked out pretty well. The rolls didn't rise quite as well as they should have and were a little too dense and not really crispy enough, but happy for a first attempt!

Aha--a fellow baker! Add a little steam to the beginning of your bake to get a crisper crust. I mist water into the oven from a spray bottle then close the door quickly, wait a few minutes, and then repeat. Do not try this is you have an exposed light bulb in your oven, though. You can also put a small, heavy pan on the bottom rack as you preheat the oven, then toss a few ice cubes into the pan when you put the rolls in to create moisture.

Aha--a fellow baker! Add a little steam to the beginning of your bake to get a crisper crust. I mist water into the oven from a spray bottle then close the door quickly, wait a few minutes, and then repeat. Do not try this is you have an exposed light bulb in your oven, though. You can also put a small, heavy pan on the bottom rack as you preheat the oven, then toss a few ice cubes into the pan when you put the rolls in to create moisture.

I did try this actually. I followed a recipe from the YouTuber Chef John (of FoodWishes.com) His videos are great. I think I know where I went wrong, but will definitely try to make them again.

Calling myself a baker is a stretch though; I make the odd victoria sponge and other simple recipes but that's the limit of my abilities! I don't do it very often!

Hi Duncan,

We are on Anthem in less than 3 weeks now.

I noticed on your vlog that there was a plug adaptor a US one I think. It had 3 or so extra outlets in it. Did you buy this here in the UK or in USA ?

The only adapters we took were 2 US and 1 European straightforward UK adapter. In actual fact there are three US sockets, as there is an additional one next to the the bed.

The only other thing we took was a fantastic USB charger from Anker which gives USB power for 6 devices. This allowed us both to charge our Apple Watch, iPhone and left two spare for topping up an iPad, Kindle, or the camera as and when this was needed. I can't recommend this product enough if you have a lot of USB devices. We use it at home all the time, and it comes with us when we travel. You can buy this on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PK1IIJY

Hope that helps. Let me know if I'm missed what you're referring to!

The only adapters we took were 2 US and 1 European straightforward UK adapter. In actual fact there are three US sockets, as there is an additional one next to the the bed.

The only other thing we took was a fantastic USB charger from Anker which gives USB power for 6 devices. This allowed us both to charge our Apple Watch, iPhone and left two spare for topping up an iPad, Kindle, or the camera as and when this was needed. I can't recommend this product enough if you have a lot of USB devices. We use it at home all the time, and it comes with us when we travel. You can buy this on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PK1IIJY

Sorry Duncan,I must have been mixed up with another review. That USB charger is a great idea. Love your vlog by the way,well done.

I saw it on a Quantum review,probably only available in the US ?

http://s972.photobucket.com/user/bump170/media/2015%20QUANTUM/FEDE4C75-32F2-4495-904F-766C51267CB3_zpsnvvxoo8e.jpg.html

I would have thought so... This might be useful though: it's similar and quite well reviewed: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008LB5M9E

I would have thought so... This might be useful though: it's similar and quite well reviewed: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008LB5M9E

Yeah,I'll go for that. I think the extesion type plugs like the one in the photo were virtually outlawed here in the UK Remember the ones that were basically a plug that took another 3 plugs into it.

I did try this actually. I followed a recipe from the YouTuber Chef John (of FoodWishes.com) His videos are great. I think I know where I went wrong, but will definitely try to make them again.

Calling myself a baker is a stretch though; I make the odd victoria sponge and other simple recipes but that's the limit of my abilities! I don't do it very often!

Well, yeast baking is immensely variable. We have been enjoying watching a version of the Great British Bakeoff edited for US television, so now we in the States actually know what a Victoria sponge is!

Hi Duncan,

Enjoyed the vlog as I said in a earlier post. On your review of the stateroom,where do you store the luggage ?

I wondered the same- hopefully bed is set high enough to slip suitcases under? I don't love the lack of closet and drawer space- could have used a bit more, I think.

This blog is awesome. I have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you and congrats on your marriage!

Well, yeast baking is immensely variable. We have been enjoying watching a version of the Great British Bakeoff edited for US television, so now we in the States actually know what a Victoria sponge is!

I'm absolutely loving GBBO! It's brilliant, even for someone who normally avoids any sort of reality TV!

Hi Duncan,

Enjoyed the vlog as I said in a earlier post. On your review of the stateroom,where do you store the luggage ?

I wondered the same- hopefully bed is set high enough to slip suitcases under? I don't love the lack of closet and drawer space- could have used a bit more, I think.

This blog is awesome. I have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you and congrats on your marriage!

We stores our suitcases under the bed where there was a good amount of storage. The room attendant also stored some towels under there, but this didn't take up much room.

Duncan, Congratulations on your wedding. I spent the last 2 evenings enjoying your videos. I like your taste in décor and food. Thanks for info on the ship. Laura

Thanks so much Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed them. I really enjoyed making them and it was an interesting new challenge as I've never done something like that before. Also strange to hear yourself on video and have to get used to that - I sound awful to my own ears!

I'm absolutely loving GBBO! It's brilliant, even for someone who normally avoids any sort of reality TV!

I have to you agree with you on the point of "reality" TV. The bake-off is so much better than, say Master Chef, and has no commercial advertising interruptions. Most of our US shows of this sort have so much ridiculous, trumped-up drama and infighting. On GBBO, the contestants on occasion even help each other out!

Where can I find the daily a Vlog on Anthem?

The links were on the first post of this whole thread:

Here is a playlist on YouTube with all of the videos:

And here is a link to all of the blog posts in order too. These have the videos embedded on them, so you if you want both you can just go to the blog!

http://duncanwrites.co.uk/category/anthem-2015/?order=asc