Another example to not fly in day of cruise

cincicruisers

American and other airlines were delayed on Wednesday by some 2 hours with air traffic control issues.

Very simple - fly in a day early. Enjoy a restful dinner and a couple of beverages. Then you can get to the ship early and start your cruise rested and not worry about things.

Challenges with flying can happen on any day, at any time and for a long list of reasons.

That's true, but I know more people who have had issues flying in same day than have had issues flying in early. ;)

Obviously there are additional hotel etc. costs with flying in early, it possibly means another day off work. So something else to consider for those who have limited time off is to look at a slightly shorter cruise in order to accommodate the extra day. Just food for thought.

Many people actually who fly in the day of the cruise haven't thought it all through, fly very much or have experienced problems.

Exactly. And sometimes they have purchased air through the cruise line and are banking on the imaginary "guarantee" that the cruise line will ensure that you don't miss the ship.

Like anything else, it's a tradeoff.

I think what people are reacting to is the implication that one is crazy to fly in day of the cruise. In reality, it is a choice, weighing the risk against the added costs and other things going on in one's life. There is indeed a risk flying in day of (and a risk flying in only 1 day before with planes as full as they are these days....) Sometimes, I have chosen to take that risk. In one case, I arrived home from a business trip the day before the cruise began. In another case, the day before was Christmas and we had plans for that day. In both cases, the next port would be the next day. I chose not to fly in before in those two cases knowing full well I was facing a fair risk of running into trouble. Flew out early, had a non-stop in the instance that was possible, arranged for ship's transfer, watched the weather reports. Yes, I prefer to fly out the day before (it's nice to experience the starting port in addition to adding a day's protection), but it's not always the optimum choice for me with everything else going on.

And, yes, I fly a LOT for business and yes, I have had issues.

After our most recent experience (Baltics cruise from September 6 to September 15 - basically last week), I will still for the most part agree about flying in a day early. Unfortunately we had no options this time due to work commitments that could not be changed and we knew our flights included a long haul. We did book our flights to land early enough that we would have some wiggle room if needed.

First flight was fine and we knew we had a close connection but still very doable at Chicago O'Hare. That's when the trouble started. The flight from Chicago to Dusseldorf was delayed an hour and 45 minutes because the pilot's log books weren't up to date. At this point we knew if we didn't make up time in the air we would miss our connection in Dusseldorf (there were approximately 15 of us in this situation, but the airline was aware). Fortunately we made up some time and were able to get through passport control and to our Copenhagen flight in time (three missed the plane because they went to the wrong terminal). What didn't make it was our luggage! Of the entire flight from Dusseldorf to Copenhagen, no one received their checked luggage (approximately 10 of us on NCL and several on the Holland America leaving the next day). It wasn't just our flight though. There were 35 people on our cruise that had no luggage. Some got luggage at the first port and the majority at the second port (day 3). My husband got his on Day 7 and I and at least one other lady never received ours (different flights, we were American codeshared to Air Berlin and she was Delta to Air France to KLM).

If I had to do it all over again, I would have made every effort to have that extra day before the cruise, but at the same time I would have still been in the no luggage situation. All you can do is make lemonade out of the lemons you've been handed and go with it. If anything we definitely learned (and are still learning) to avoid Air Berlin at all costs! (will be posting separately about the nightmare we are enduring with them and why to avoid).

If anything we definitely learned (and are still learning) to avoid Air Berlin at all costs! (will be posting separately about the nightmare we are enduring with them and why to avoid).

We leave on an Airberlin flight in two weeks. I am very interested in the problems you experienced.

If anything we definitely learned (and are still learning) to avoid Air Berlin at all costs! (will be posting separately about the nightmare we are enduring with them and why to avoid).

We leave on an Airberlin flight in two weeks. I am very interested in the problems you experienced.

Just posted our experience actually! I warn you it's a little long, but it's posted in the Cruise Air section with the title "Never Again with Air Berlin"

Kelly

We flew Rome to Dusseldorf. I forget exactly what it was, but after standing in a long slow line, we learned we couldn't check more than one bag, or something strange like that. I forget the exact problem, which came as a big surprise. Maybe we were supposed to do it online first, couldn't do things right at the airport. I remember transferring stuff out of a bag to my carry-on on the airport floor. We didn't have a warning about some strange luggage rule. We barely made our luggage work. It was a bad experience. Really research their luggage rules if you can. We weren't made aware.

• 3 weeks later...

My sympathies to all! I have historically had very good luck when flying. But my last two trips (July 2015 and Sept 2015) I had a flight cancelled both times, one was Delta, one was American. Both times they were unable to get us on a flight within 24 hrs. The time in September (American) I had to cancel the whole trip because it was just for a long weekend and I would have missed some of the event I was travelling for. Lost out on a day of work (contract work) and spent the entire day going to and from the airport and at the airport running around like crazy.

The time in July I had trip insurance, but it wouldn't cover me for the extra hotel night I needed ($250 - it was the return that was cancelled) because they said they didn't cover if the flight was cancelled by air traffic control. What the...?

For my cruise in November, I'm flying out to Miami two days before the cruise - fortunately I have things to do in Miami both days before. Hope I don't miss them!