Certified transcript of birth

danielle2934

I've always traveled with a passport. I was getting my name changed on it since I got married. I got a letter 7 weeks later saying the marriage certificate did not have a raised seal. Well, I was married out of state but was able to get a certified copy to mail back in but my cruise is a week away. I'm worried I won't get it back in time. I have a birth certificate but at the top it says certified transcript of birth New York Department of health. It has a raised seal, my name, dob, place of birth, parents name and date filed. At the bottom it says this is to certify that the information concerning the birth of the above named person is true and accurate transcript of the information recorded on the original local certificate of birth on file with the local registrar of Brookhaven, New York.

Only reason I'm asking is because my kids all say certificate of live birth/certificate of vital records with vital statistics written on it. Mine does not say anything about vital statistics They were born in Georgia.

I'm sure different states use different wording but I'm just a worried and just need reassurance

I've always traveled with a passport. I was getting my name changed on it since I got married. I got a letter 7 weeks later saying the marriage certificate did not have a raised seal. Well, I was married out of state but was able to get a certified copy to mail back in but my cruise is a week away. I'm worried I won't get it back in time. I have a birth certificate but at the top it says certified transcript of birth New York Department of health. It has a raised seal, my name, dob, place of birth, parents name and date filed. At the bottom it says this is to certify that the information concerning the birth of the above named person is true and accurate transcript of the information recorded on the original local certificate of birth on file with the local registrar of Brookhaven, New York.

Only reason I'm asking is because my kids all say certificate of live birth/certificate of vital records with vital statistics written on it. Mine does not say anything about vital statistics They were born in Georgia.

I'm sure different states use different wording but I'm just a worried and just need reassurance

Before we got our passports, my husband and I had certified copies of the birth AND a certified transcript of the birth from the state of Florida. We were not sure which one would work and they did not cost as much. They both worked the same. As long as it has the seal of your state on it, you should be fine.

Is this the same birth certificate you used to get your passport? If so no worries as the DHS regulations aren't as strict as the State Department's for issuing a passport. (And FWIW I believe that my NY birth cert says the same thing on it.) I can check when I get home.

Is this the same birth certificate you used to get your passport? If so no worries as the DHS regulations aren't as strict as the State Department's for issuing a passport. (And FWIW I believe that my NY birth cert says the same thing on it.) I can check when I get home.

I'm not sure if thats what it said when I got my original passport. I requested a new one on Monday that I had overnighted to me so I'll have it in time and didn't think anything about it until I put it up with my kids and realized it was different

I'm not sure if thats what it said when I got my original passport. I requested a new one on Monday that I had overnighted to me so I'll have it in time and didn't think anything about it until I put it up with my kids and realized it was different

As long as it was issued by the state I believe that you will be fine but I will double check mine when I get home and let you know what it says (and I did use it to board a CCL cruise). Again FWIW the samples I've seen online say "certified transcript of birth".

As long as it was issued by the state I believe that you will be fine but I will double check mine when I get home and let you know what it says (and I did use it to board a CCL cruise). Again FWIW the samples I've seen online say "certified transcript of birth".

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be fine. I just don't want to worry for a week. Maybe my passport will be here by then

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be fine. I just don't want to worry for a week. Maybe my passport will be here by then

I meant to do this right when I got home but of course didn't get to it. Anyway, I can confirm that the birth certificate that I used when I sailed on CCL was issued by NY state and said "Certified Transcript of Birth" across the top. So I would say you are good to go should your passport not come in (and I also used the same birth certificate to apply for my passport).

This is from Carnival websight abd applies to closed loop cruises ( beginning and ending in the same US port)

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

[COLOR="Blue"]A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

[/color]Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Internationally Adopted Children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S once the adoption is finalized.

Note that the Birth certificate can be a Xerox copy of a certified copy. Hope this helps!

Edited by bafinegan

This is from Carnival websight abd applies to closed loop cruises ( beginning and ending in the same US port)

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

[COLOR="Blue"]A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

[/color]Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Internationally Adopted Children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S once the adoption is finalized.

Note that the Birth certificate can be a Xerox copy of a certified copy. Hope this helps!

And before anyone objects I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate when I boarded my CCL cruise and no one batted an eye.

I meant to do this right when I got home but of course didn't get to it. Anyway, I can confirm that the birth certificate that I used when I sailed on CCL was issued by NY state and said "Certified Transcript of Birth" across the top. So I would say you are good to go should your passport not come in (and I also used the same birth certificate to apply for my passport).

Thank you so much. It eases my mind. Its just the phrase Transcript of birth that threw me off

I had to call carnival so I asked her the same question. She said all they are looking for is it being government official. She said as long as it is not issued by the hospital that it is fine. She seemed to know what she was talking about. In the past I when I would call carnival to ask something, they would sometimes give wrong information. But the lady I talked to this morning seemed very knowledgeable

What name is your travel booked in? If it's your new name make sure to bring your marriage certificate.

It's booked in my married name. The Rep told me I wouldn't need marriage certificate because most females names are different. But I ordered another one to take with me anyway

Great info! That would ease my mind.