Shuttles vs Disney transfer to airport

cruise88cruise

Are there any shuttle companies that will pick you up at the ship and take you to the airport instead of paying the $35 fee for our group of 6?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not sure, but I believe there are a couple of independent shuttle companies that go between Port Canaveral and MCO, but you'd have to get yourself to where they pick up. Maybe do a google search for "Port Canaveral Orlando airport shuttles".

Or you can hire a private limo/town car - there are several that serve that area.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "shuttle" is. Most people do not like multi-family transportation on the way to the airport as they want to leave at "their" time.

There are a lot of towncar/limo companies that are less costly than DCL transfers. Fl Tours, Happy Limo, Southern Elegance, RJ Tours are just some of them. You pick the vehicle you need based on number of people and amount of luggage. For large groups, they will often attach a luggage trailer to the main vehicle. For 6, that isn't needed.

To give you a price example, FL Tours lists $160 from Port Canaveral to MCO if you use them one way. While that's not cheap, it is a little less than DCL transfers.

Supershuttle does operate out of MCO although I've never used them in Florida. Cocoa Beach Shuttle typically runs between the airport and hotels in the Cocoa area, but logically they will go the other direction as well.

A one way car/van rental is definitely the least costly way to go. However, if you do this on the way back to the airport, you can easily add an extra hour to the trip. You'll need to take the rental company's shuttle to their location to pick up the vehicle, either taking the family with you or returning to the terminal area to pick them up. We've gotten on the shuttle immediately and had the car within 20 minutes, but we've also had to wait for the second or third shuttle (depending on the line) and taken quite a bit longer.

One hint if you use this method--there is almost always room on the shuttle for one more person with no luggage. On the other hand, having space for 6 + luggage means you'll need to be at the front of the line as you'll fill more than half of a shuttle with just your family/stuff. If just the driver goes with no luggage, he can then hop out of the shuttle and be in the line to get the car before the others are off the shuttle with their luggage. You can then communicate with spouse by cell phone as to whether they should get on the next shuttle or wait for you to pick them up at the terminal. Honestly, picking them up is easier.

Budget normally runs 2 shuttles on cruise days and is the second nearest to the terminal of all the car places. These 2 things add up to most rapid shuttle turn around time.

For a party of 6 I would go with a private vehicle. They can also do things like a snack stop if you want to grab water or something (wine) before you board...

Happy Limo (who we use for all Orlando trips) is showing $165 for a Suburban, which is only a little cheaper, but you will have a driver pick you up directly at baggage claim, load luggage, take you right to the terminal, stop on the way etc. Limo is $190 if you want to make an impression. Those are one way prices, there is a discount if you book RT ahead of time.

For a party of 6 I would go with a private vehicle. They can also do things like a snack stop if you want to grab water or something (wine) before you board...

Happy Limo (who we use for all Orlando trips) is showing $165 for a Suburban, which is only a little cheaper, but you will have a driver pick you up directly at baggage claim, load luggage, take you right to the terminal, stop on the way etc. Limo is $190 if you want to make an impression. Those are one way prices, there is a discount if you book RT ahead of time.

This is all lovely, but OP said he is looking for transportation FROM the cruise terminal to the airport. Going that direction, you lose the advantage of a store stop "before boarding."

Sorry, misread. So one less advantage but you also don't have to deal with the bus area, the car will drop you off direct at ticketing for your airline (disclaimer, its been quite a while since I took Disney transport from the port, they may have better dropoffs now?)...

Still a little cheaper and the way to go in my book.. With a rental car, you also have to deal with gas fillups, drop offs, etc.

Sorry, misread. So one less advantage but you also don't have to deal with the bus area, the car will drop you off direct at ticketing for your airline (disclaimer, its been quite a while since I took Disney transport from the port, they may have better dropoffs now?)...

Still a little cheaper and the way to go in my book.. With a rental car, you also have to deal with gas fillups, drop offs, etc.

I would generally agree with you, unless you are on a participating airline. Then, quite honestly, the DCL on board check in service is worth the cost (at least to me). You get your boarding passes and luggage tags in your cabin on the last full day of the cruise. Pack up and place the tags on the bags. Place the bags outside the stateroom at the specified time and next see them at your HOME airport (final destination). You skip baggage handling in the terminal, skip checking in bags at the airport, and proceed directly thru security to your gate. You do your flight check in at the gate, bypassing all lines except security.

There are some restrictions--participating airlines only, flight must be domestic and after 11:30 departure time. But not messing with bags is worth the extra cost at this point in my life. When we were all younger and healthy, not so much.

If not on a participating airline...limo/towncar service is most convenient, car rental is least costly.

Can you do that without signing up for transportation? You can on other lines, have not tried with Disney. Quick search online doesn't tell me anything except the initial announcement...

http://dclnews.com/2010/06/10/onboard-airline-check-in-service-adds-convenience-to-a-disney-cruise-line-vacation/

I would generally agree with you' date=' unless you are on a participating airline. Then, quite honestly, the DCL on board check in service is worth the cost (at least to me). You get your boarding passes and luggage tags in your cabin on the last full day of the cruise. Pack up and place the tags on the bags. Place the bags outside the stateroom at the specified time and next see them at your HOME airport (final destination). You skip baggage handling in the terminal, skip checking in bags at the airport, and proceed directly thru security to your gate. You do your flight check in at the gate, bypassing all lines except security.

There are some restrictions--participating airlines only, flight must be domestic and after 11:30 departure time. But not messing with bags is worth the extra cost at this point in my life. When we were all younger and healthy, not so much.

If not on a participating airline...limo/towncar service is most convenient, car rental is least costly.[/quote']

Can you do that without signing up for transportation? You can on other lines, have not tried with Disney. Quick search online doesn't tell me anything except the initial announcement...

http://dclnews.com/2010/06/10/onboard-airline-check-in-service-adds-convenience-to-a-disney-cruise-line-vacation/

No, the onboard check in system is limited to people using DCL transportation.

On the way TO the port, you can have your luggage shipped from either MCO or WDW to the terminal without using DCL transportation. The cost was $25 for up to 6 pieces....like everything else, it may have changed.

But the onboard check in deal is totally limited to those using DCL transportation AND a participating airline. Southwest is probably the most popular NON-Participating airline.

That is a perk then. Do you still have to have it out way early?

No' date=' the onboard check in system is limited to people using DCL transportation.

On the way TO the port, you can have your luggage shipped from either MCO or WDW to the terminal without using DCL transportation. The cost was $25 for up to 6 pieces....like everything else, it may have changed.

But the onboard check in deal is totally limited to those using DCL transportation AND a participating airline. Southwest is probably the most popular NON-Participating airline.[/quote']

That is a perk then. Do you still have to have it out way early?

On our last cruise the luggage window was 8-10 or 8:30 -10. Not early, but inconvenient for late dinner. I think the window was 8:30-10 but our host told us that if we would put it out before we went to dinner, he'd take care of it right away so it didn't sit in the hall. The hosts know to separate out the luggage with airline tags on it, and they know who should have the tags on their bags.

You only have to do one way (from terminal to airport) DCL transportation to use this service.

In Barcelona, Delta had a counter set up in the terminal. If you were on Delta, you still took your bags thru Customs, but instead of going to transportation you could take it to their counter and check in there. They issued the boarding passes and took the bags. You didn't have to book flights thru DCL or be on DCL transportation to use this...it was just as if they moved their counter from the airport to the cruise terminal. It has been there at least 2 years when we've cruised out of that port, so likely do it all the time.