Yay for Carnival's Internet Packages!

geoatl

So for my first two years (2013, 2014) I had to suffer through that awful interface and pay-by-the-minute internet service. To my surprise, I quickly learned that there were THREE options to chose from:

1.) Social Media connection for $25 for the entire cruise- just FB, Twitter, etc. (no website connection, just social media);

2.) Internet connection $60/cruise and then;

3.) 3x Faster internet connection that also allows streaming Skype, etc for $99/cruise.

I bought the $60 option and was satisfied. There were a couple of times I noticed the speed. But by and large, it was more than sufficient. :)

I just got off the Splendor last week and I purchased the $99 premium plan for the week. I used a small travel router (purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=s9_al_bw_g147_i2) and I was able to connect my phone to the router, then connect the router to the Ship's wifi. Afterwards, I could connect multiple phones, tablets, laptops etc to the travel router and all of them share the internet connection. My in-laws in the next stateroom over were able to connect to the router and share internet too. Just though I'd throw this out there for the technicially-inclined.

Handy! Did you think to check your speed while onboard? I didn't even think about that. Was trying to avoid the net as much as possible.

It ranged from anywhere near 2MB down/1MB up all the way down to near zero on stormy/foggy evenings when the ship was rocking a lot. It was sufficient to do basic web browsing, emailing, Facebook-ing, but I am very glad I didn't have to do any remote work because that would have been painful. The latency of the connection ranged anywhere from 700ms to 2 seconds.

I just got off the Splendor last week and I purchased the $99 premium plan for the week. I used a small travel router (purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=s9_al_bw_g147_i2) and I was able to connect my phone to the router, then connect the router to the Ship's wifi. Afterwards, I could connect multiple phones, tablets, laptops etc to the travel router and all of them share the internet connection. My in-laws in the next stateroom over were able to connect to the router and share internet too. Just though I'd throw this out there for the technicially-inclined.

That sounds like something my husband would do...

Personally, I enjoy my week of no Internet and no connect with real life. I'm glad the days of having to check business while on vacation are over (used to be first thing we'd do in port, find wifi, check email, respond).

Following. DH and I are taking our two 18 year old daughters and a 12 year old son on their first cruise on January and have been trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to have an internet package of some kind as opposed to paying 50 cents (I think?) per text to check in with them. Sounds like we may be able to just do the social media one and just communicate via facebook. And I am sure they would love to be able to keep up with FB and Instagram while we are away... Hmmm, on second thought maybe keeping them off social media for a week would do them some good!

Edited by 2Ccruisers

Thanks OP for a positive thread topic.

It seems most threads run the gamut of complaints.

Carnival actually did something positive for the passengers. :D

Buying water on board for $2.99 a 12 pack is a big + in my book too!

Having to lug water on board to avoid yet another gouging was ridiculous to say the least!

Edited by silvercrikhix

I am very glad I didn't have to do any remote work because that would have been painful.

Thankfully, I too was able to avoid any serious remote work. Yay for people solving their own problems! lol. I am seriously happy with the package options.

Having to lug water on board to avoid yet another gouging was ridiculous to say the least!

Several in my group of 9 did the same thing on the water. That's a tremendous bargain. No one in our group, including two platinum members, were aware that you could ask the steward to remove all the fee items from the fridge to make room for the water.

I on the other hand was looking for the $2.99/12-pack of vodka tonic. lol.

Agree agree! The $2.99 water is a great answer by Carnival after banning carry on water. They could have gone a whole different way and jacked up the prices. Very impressed that they lowered instead.

I used the second tier internet in April on the Ecstasy and was amazed at how fast it was. Had to do some work and was dreading it but the speed was great.

So for my first two years (2013, 2014) I had to suffer through that awful interface and pay-by-the-minute internet service. To my surprise, I quickly learned that there were THREE options to chose from:

1.) Social Media connection for $25 for the entire cruise- just FB, Twitter, etc. (no website connection, just social media);

2.) Internet connection $60/cruise and then;

3.) 3x Faster internet connection that also allows streaming Skype, etc for $99/cruise.

I bought the $60 option and was satisfied. There were a couple of times I noticed the speed. But by and large, it was more than sufficient. :)

I also had problems with the old program, but last Nov, on the Freedom, I was able to try the new program for 60.00 on my 8 day cruise. It worked very well, no issues at all. Next month on Victory will purchase the 5day cruise deal for 40.00. I think this is one of the things that Carnival is doing right.

I had the social plan on the Breeze last week and was pleasantly surprised to find out it included iMessaging. Was using FB Messenger (I made sure my friends added it before I left!) until I got iMessages from my niece and SIL. They wanted to make sure I was not on the ship with the fire, lol.

I also had problems with the old program, but last Nov, on the Freedom, I was able to try the new program for 60.00 on my 8 day cruise. It worked very well, no issues at all. Next month on Victory will purchase the 5day cruise deal for 40.00. I think this is one of the things that Carnival is doing right.

What are the $60.00 and $40.00 plans?

These are the plans I see for Carnival:

Social ($5 USD per day)

Value ($16 USD per day)

Premium ($25 USD per day)

Thx

What are the $60.00 and $40.00 plans?

These are the plans I see for Carnival:

Social ($5 USD per day)

Value ($16 USD per day)

Premium ($25 USD per day)

Thx

Those are the daily rates. There are also cruise rates that vary by length. I have the 4 and 5 day rates.

be0c2ab0519e9f8f422f1b5d8d07e724.jpg

Those are the daily rates. There are also cruise rates that vary by length. I have the 4 and 5 day rates.

be0c2ab0519e9f8f422f1b5d8d07e724.jpg

Greg -

Thanks for posting!

I didn't realize there was a discount for ordering plans for the full length of the cruise!

Anyone know the rates for 7-day and 8-day sailings?

THX!

We haven't gone on a cruise since 2007. I need to catch up on all the new things since then. Our last cruise was on the Conquest August 2007. We followed Hurricane Dean around the Gulf. LOL! We still had a blast. :D So thanks for the post, and for all the extra info everyone else posted. I am dreaming of an Alaskan cruise next, but no definites yet.

With the social media package is it $25 per phone or $25 for the stateroom?

Also where do you pay for that? When you get on the ship or can you do it online?

Price depends upon length of cruise. The rates I quoted were for an 8-day I was on. Social was $25 for the entire cruise/per user - there was also a daily rate, but I can't remember what those were.

You pay when you get on the ship. If you are still in port and have access to your existing network, switch to the ship's wifi and then when you attempt to visit a website or social media you are prompted to buy a plan. You can not pay specifically for internet in advance - I tried.

Edited by geoatl

Thanks so much for the review! It's good to know for my upcoming cruises. Still hoping that they have the new package ready for my 10/25 cruise on the Dream.

Now, if only people could remember the good things like this that Carnival is adding when they complain about what Carnival is taking away.

This is great for me. Normally, love to completely "unplug" when I'm cruising. But this time around, there are a few things going on at work that I need to stay plugged into...I don't intend to do much work, but I need to be available by email a bit. So I will be charging work for my internet connection!!! Not a problem at all, since the pricing is so reasonable!!

This is great for me. Normally, love to completely "unplug" when I'm cruising. But this time around, there are a few things going on at work that I need to stay plugged into...I don't intend to do much work, but I need to be available by email a bit. So I will be charging work for my internet connection!!! Not a problem at all, since the pricing is so reasonable!!

You should try and see if your work will reimburse you for it! That's what I'm planning on telling mine. If the VP thinks he will need to email me with questions while I'm away, then I'm going to expense the cost. [emoji6]