Packing

beachbum314

This is so smart - I am copying this for my next trip! Thank you!

My packing lists are on my laptop, so when something "comes up", I just head to the desk and update the list then and there. Same with editing it down.

For lists to work, they need to be dynamic, not static. Which is why the best ones are the ones YOU create, not someone else's form. (And yes, you can use those as a start and for inspiration, but remember that they are someone else's idea of what to pack.)

At 30 days I would start thinking do I need anything new, perhaps treat myself to a bit of new clothing, and making a mental checklist of what I need in regards to toiletries, electronics and so on. I might start picking up bits and pieces of toiletries or cosmetics whilst doing my grocery shopping.

At 2 weeks out I will start making a proper list on my computer and print it out.

At 1 week out I will pack my electronics, toiletries, cosmetics, jewellery and medication. At this point I still have time to get meds from the doctor if I've missed anything and won't be in a panic/rush if I realize I need to buy anything.

At 3 days out I put most of my clothes in and go through my list and make sure I've got everything. I will usually do my hand luggage then too. Anything that's likely to get badly creased by sitting in stays on hangers until a few hours before actually leaving, but there's less and less of this stuff as years go by. I find fabrics travel really well these days.

At 2 days out I will probably panic about something and unpack everything and go over my list and repack everything and realize it was actually fine in the first place.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

We are just about 6 months out from our Western Caribbean Cruise in March 2016. I created a packing list today based on the itinerary and day-to day specific to each family member. Many stores now have all their summer wear/beach wear on clearance sale and I have made a few purchases for our trip. On our last cruise I did not plan this far out, nor did I use a packing list. I ended up with a ton of clothing yet nothing to wear.

My cruise is in about 3 weeks, and I've already started packing.

I keep a toiletry kit stocked that I just make sure I check ahead of time and add/replace items as needed. That's packed in my large suitcase already.

I live in Seattle, and it's way beyond warm weather clothing, so my shorts and tank tops that I'm taking to Florida with me are packed as well. We also have theme nights on the cruise I'm going on, so some of those clothes are packed as well. I don't think I'll need a cape or a redneck flannel shirt before then. ;)

I'm a list person, so I have "to buy" and packing lists galore, and started those months ago. But I won't do the majority of my packing until a couple days before I leave. :)