Packing cosmetics

KARTI1955

Gee, I'm feeling odd. I never thought about organizing my makeup and toiletries.

My dop kit is just a single compartment, flat bottom (so it stands up by itself), zipper close bag that I think I got free with some makeup purchase.

I take a small travel toothbrush and sample size toothpaste, razor and travel size shaving cream, foundation for evening and tinted moisturizer for daytime, mascara, 2 lipsticks (one pinker, one more coral), a couple of eyeshadows, travel size deodorant. The biggest things are my contact lens solutions, partly because I use two different ones.

If we're going to a hotel, I plan to use their shampoo/conditioner/lotion.

On the month long vacation we're leaving on today, we're staying in apartments, so I'm bringing those things.

Never realized how low maintenance I am. LOL!

Very low maintenance - good for you...my makeup bag and stuff probably adds about 5-6 lbs to my suitcase - and lots of toiletries, sunscreen, sun burn stuff, the 'meds' just in case....and yes I typically reach the 50 lb airline limit (or in fact go over it and have to 'redistribute').

this time I am using my new 'packing cubes' and hoping that will cut down on some of the stuff and space as well :)

I have something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-Hanging-Cosmetic-Grooming/dp/B0000CNR1L/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZE34AV6CBQM8SQATD0W

I like that I can hang it up and see everything. It folds up so it doesn't take much room in the suitcase. Mine only has 3 compartments though.

I only take the basic makeup that I use everyday (plus mascara, which I only wear on special occasions). I put liquids in ziplock bags so they won't leak in my suitcase. And I use smaller size containers for my shampoo and conditioner. For body lotion, I bring one of the small-size lotions from Bath and Body Works. They usually have something that has a tropical scent. :)

Very low maintenance - good for you...my makeup bag and stuff probably adds about 5-6 lbs to my suitcase - and lots of toiletries, sunscreen, sun burn stuff, the 'meds' just in case....and yes I typically reach the 50 lb airline limit (or in fact go over it and have to 'redistribute').

this time I am using my new 'packing cubes' and hoping that will cut down on some of the stuff and space as well :)

Exactly!! It's not about being high or low maintenance. It's about organization. I hate having my cosmetics jumbled up in a bag. The space in the cabin is limited enough so just trying to find ways to keep things neat. Not high maintenance by any means :eek: I am, however, a tad OCD :rolleyes:

I have a bag like this, which has all my bath gel, and liquids in it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HONHAO?keywords=travel%20toiletry%20bag&nodeID=9479199011&qid=1444423519&ref_=sr_1_2&s=apparel&sr=1-2

It hangs up on any pull handle or the hooks on the inside of the door when in use, and then zips up and stowed when I'm done.

I get travel sizes of everything I use, and if it doesn't come in a travel size, I go to Walmart and get the 2 or 3oz travel bottles. These will stand upright in the bag, and you can pack a bunch of them in. They sit like little soldiers in there and don't fall over. Side pockets are for odd sized things, like my Intuition shaver, etc.

My make-up goes in a flat Dollar Store food container that is divided into two sections. Liquid make-up is in a small bottle. Mine is like this one, but a little longer and shallower:

http://www.dollartree.com/household/food-storage/Betty-Crocker-Easy-Seal-Divided-Storage-Containers-with-Lids-32-oz-/500c512c512p340932/index.pro

My toiletries are therefore divided into "inside the bathroom", and "inside or outside the bathroom make-up". Also, these two containers make for easier packing.

Edited by pcur

• 2 weeks later...
I've been looking for this thread again. I got the multi compartment Soho bagged linked upthread. I like the layout a lot, but the zippers are cheap and "sticky". I want to keep the bag but it's irritating. Anyone know any tricks for this? WD 40?

Don't use WD 40, it will leave an oily film on things, and can stain anything that touches it. Use a bar of soap and rub it on the zipper teeth - works every time.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Don't use WD 40, it will leave an oily film on things, and can stain anything that touches it. Use a bar of soap and rub it on the zipper teeth - works every time.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks. I hadn't gotten around to trying anything yet, but 57 days to next cruise. :)

I stock up on as many samples, deluxe samples (Ulta and Sephora are great in this regard, as are gifts with purchases), or travel sizes as I can. I travel frequently for work, too, so I get a lot of use out of products of these sizes, enough that I seek them out.

I pack them in fold-up organizers that have different-sized pockets and a hanger. The attached picture is from my recent trip on the Epic. One bag in the pic I got at Target several years ago, and the other is a relatively recent Ulta purchase, but they're available pretty much everywhere.

To the left of the bags, you can see some of my eye shadows on the wall. I have a large magnetic board at my house that hangs on the wall, and I place small magnets on the back of my cosmetics that are amenable to this, so they stick to the board and don't take up counter space. It's like art! (At least, that's what I tell my husband! :D) Since cruise ship walls are magnetic, I was able to use them to my advantage.

The other picture shows how I got around using both of the towel holders for my toiletries. Portable suction cup hook. :D

epic7.jpg.140e856bcd689f401aed25bc5ed88d74.jpg

epic8.jpg.7ec32bbd97d4c7f8e64846db9b597821.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried Bath and Body Works for travel size lotion, shampoo and conditioners? I use a spray in and leave on conditioner I can get from Ulta now but also have reusable travel bottles for things like sun screen if I can't find a travel size. I like to take as many things that I can either toss or rinse out for the return flight/s.