advice on changing/canceling cruise

sesameking

My husband and I (and 5 year old) have the Breakaway booked for May 8-15, 2016. We booked in June and got the 3rd passenger free as well as the unlimited beverage package and large aft-facing balcony room. We just discovered a conflict on the day we are due back so we need to either alter the trip or cancel it.

I called NCL and the room we have is booked for the two weeks following, but is available on the June 5th departure but would add another $774 to our total. Not willing to do that. We are willing to depart either May 22nd or 29th as well and were thinking of just taking another aft-facing balcony (it would be smaller), but from what I see online the 3rd guest is not free those weeks?! I'm confused.

We are wondering what the odds would be if we booked a regular window room for the week of May 22nd or May 29th - what are the odds we'd get called to upgrade for a discount. When do they start making those calls?

Are there now no weeks in May 2016 where the 3rd guest (child) is free?

Thinking we may have to cancel altogether and find another trip to take.

My husband and I (and 5 year old) have the Breakaway booked for May 8-15, 2016. We booked in June and got the 3rd passenger free as well as the unlimited beverage package and large aft-facing balcony room. We just discovered a conflict on the day we are due back so we need to either alter the trip or cancel it.

I called NCL and the room we have is booked for the two weeks following, but is available on the June 5th departure but would add another $774 to our total. Not willing to do that. We are willing to depart either May 22nd or 29th as well and were thinking of just taking another aft-facing balcony (it would be smaller), but from what I see online the 3rd guest is not free those weeks?! I'm confused.

We are wondering what the odds would be if we booked a regular window room for the week of May 22nd or May 29th - what are the odds we'd get called to upgrade for a discount. When do they start making those calls?

The third/fourth guest free promo expired, so if you rebook you would get the current special instead. That's why you are seeing a price increase. Odds are pretty bad that you'll be one of the lucky few who gets a call for a discounted upgrade, so I would not book a lower category than you would be happy with. If you are not set on the Breakaway, you can always look into the Dawn to Bermuda instead. She sails out of Boston, and since the ship lacks the bells and whistles available on the Breakaway, she's usually cheaper.

Edited by calmpets
additional info

Chances are slim you are going to be able to get what you now have with a new booking. IF you can wait until the last minute- AND become more flexible on where your cabin is, you may find a deal. If possible- shift your conflict the other way- and make changes on the other end, and keep the trip and booking you have. The later you go, the more costly. You have a cruise currently chosen that is "off season", and will be cold, if you plan on beach activities. So any changes are going more into peak season, unless you wait until next October.