Visa Requirement for Vietnam

AlycatUK

Hello, Can anybody help? I am new to cruising and have just booked my first cruise with my mum; we are going to Asia in February on the Celebrity Millennium.

Having looked at the various Embassy details on line, we only require a visa for Vietnam - and this is only because we are entering via three ports during our stay, rather than just one!

According to the embassy in the UK, it states a multiple entry visa at a cost of £85, but Celebrity apparently can issue a visa for $45. This is conflicting and I wondered if anyone has travelled on this route and gone for the Celebrity option without any hiccups?

So, anybody - advice gratefully received.

Thanks

According to Vietnam immigration law, to be eligible for visa exemption, your passport must have at least six months validity. If you wish to enter Viet Nam at least two consecutive times without visa, the next entry must be at least 30 days after the previous exit. If you enter Viet Nam the first time with visa, then the next entry without visa can be less than 30 days after your previous exit).

It is all in the wording and you will need a visa as you are in and out of ports over 5/6 days

If the Vietnam ports follow each other without visiting another country then I would think that your first entry would count as only one visit for the entire cruise.

I just emailed the Vietnam embassy to ask for clarification on this but I received an automated reply with the same info as the website. If I do get a personal reply I will share the info.

Either way the cruise line will handle the visa arrangements if required so no need to worry.

Hello again

Just had a reply from the Vietnamese embassy in the UK:

"If it is a consecutive stop and you still remain in Vietnamese territorial waters, you don't need a visa for this trip."

In my case our cruise has 3 consecutive stops in Vietnam so on that basis as UK citizens we won't need a visa.

We were on the Millennium in March, 2015, with a cruise from Hong Kong, to Taiwan and three stops in Vietnam.

No advance visa was necessary but on embarkation you were asked to fill out a Vietnam VISA application. Make sure you get one before you get to the counter to avoid delays. A modest fee was posted to the onboard account and all passports were collected for the duration of the cruise.

Before arrival in Ho Chi Minh City, a personalized VISA card was passed out to everyone.

When going ashore at each port, there was a government agent or military official who stamped your VISA card which you were to keep in your possession.

When departing Vietnam waters for the last time, the VISA cards were demanded to be returned but they were placed in a big box and I think enforcement was lax.

No stamp in the passport, no VISA souvenir, but a great visit.

IMHO, Ho Chi Minh was the friendliest, Danang / Hue was the most interesting, and Hanoi was the most exhausting.

It's a four hour bus ride from Ha Long Bay into Hanoi and another four hours back. We took the all day tour and arrived back to the ship too late for even late dining.

Mike in Ohio