JFK to Fairbanks; Vancouver to JFK

meaclasact2

We're heading up to Alaska next September. Our HAL Land/Sea tour starts off in Fairbanks. Any suggestions on air travel from JFK to Fairbanks and then Vancouver to JFK? I was thinking of using HAL air as they may know the best connections etc. I generally book my own air but the choices look like slim to almost none.

Another thought was to fly into Seattle a day early and then catch a flight up to Fairbanks the next day. Coming home - would it be feasible to take a shuttle from Vancouver to SEATAC?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We're heading up to Alaska next September. Our HAL Land/Sea tour starts off in Fairbanks. Any suggestions on air travel from JFK to Fairbanks and then Vancouver to JFK? I was thinking of using HAL air as they may know the best connections etc. I generally book my own air but the choices look like slim to almost none.

Another thought was to fly into Seattle a day early and then catch a flight up to Fairbanks the next day. Coming home - would it be feasible to take a shuttle from Vancouver to SEATAC?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The airlines that operate non-stop between Vancouver and JFK are Cathay Pacific, Philippine Airlines and Delta. You can also make connection on some of the US airlines or Air Canada or WestJet. Generally Cathay Pacific has a good reputation and the flight is operated on a route that starts in Hong Kong, stops in Vancouver then continues to New York. Timing is late evening.

Both Air Canada and WestJet have many options with a connecting flight in Toronto.

The US government has a host of taxes for 9/11, Agriculture Inspection, Immigration etc. that get added onto an International flight (including those to Canada). It can sometimes be cheaper to use Seattle. There are two options, take the train from Downtown Vancouver to Downtown Seattle. There is also a bus service that takes you from the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver to the airport in Seattle.

Both Delta and Alaska have one-stop services in both directions (via Seattle).

Cathay Pacific's flight between JFK and YVR is terrific and usually well-priced; however on the outbound leg connections to FAI would be awkward as there's only one daily nonstop flight (rather expensive) from Vancouver to Anchorage and which would require an additional flight from ANC to FAI.

Great ideas....I appreciate you posting. This gives me more to think about. As it stands right now there is one Alaska Air flight out to the West coast...that will get us into Fairbanks around 430 pm (out of Seattle). I will set up an alert on kayak as soon as Alaskan air opens their calendar that far out.

Thanks again.

Both Delta and Alaska have one-stop services in both directions (via Seattle).

Cathay Pacific's flight between JFK and YVR is terrific and usually well-priced; however on the outbound leg connections to FAI would be awkward as there's only one daily nonstop flight (rather expensive) from Vancouver to Anchorage and which would require an additional flight from ANC to FAI.

I appreciate the post - I never thought of using an international airline to get back to JFK...much to think about and decisions. I'm a year out but I've always found that preplanning can save you quite a bit of money. Takes more time but that's part of the excitement of preplanning.

Thanks again.

I appreciate the post - I never thought of using an international airline to get back to JFK...much to think about and decisions. I'm a year out but I've always found that preplanning can save you quite a bit of money. Takes more time but that's part of the excitement of preplanning.

Thanks again.

If you happen to have any American Airlines frequent flyer miles (you could even look into buying some - there are occasional sales) redeeming them for flights on the Cathay Pacific flight from YVR to JFK, especially in business or first class, is probably the best use of FF miles I can think of in North America. (12,500 miles one way in economy, 25,000 in business, 32,500 in first class.) You could also use AA miles for a one-way flight to Fairbanks, same rates.

You can purchase AA miles for around 3c per mile, but during the sales the price goes down to 2c or a little more, depending on how many miles you buy. At 2.5c per mile, 25K miles (round trip in coach or one way in business) would cost around $625, so not a screaming deal but worth considering.

I'd also look at an Alaska Airlines-branded Visa card (issued by Bank of America) which will not only include a 25,000 mile signup bonus, but also will give you an annual companion certificate - one person pays the normal fare, the other pays $99 plus taxes. If a route like NYC-xSEA-FAI//YVR-xSEA-NYC on Alaska comes in at, say, $700, then with the companion certificate the cost for 2 pax would be $700+$100+$30 (taxes) = $830, or $415 per person.

Edited by Gardyloo

Great ideas....I appreciate you posting. This gives me more to think about. As it stands right now there is one Alaska Air flight out to the West coast...that will get us into Fairbanks around 430 pm (out of Seattle). I will set up an alert on kayak as soon as Alaskan air opens their calendar that far out.

Thanks again.

Personally I would book two one way trips (instead of a round trip). That gives you the flexibility to pick the best option each way.

Alaska knows Alaska. I think Delta has been trying to make in roads. There are also other US carriers to look at.

On the Vancouver to JFK route, lots of options, the two overseas airlines, the two Canadian airlines (Air Canada and WestJet) as well as all the US based airlines, Alaska, American, United and Delta.

Sometimes, there are significant savings flying in/ out of Seatac. Quick Shuttle is the most direct, picking up right at Canada Place to Seatac. There is also Greyhound and Bolt bus, that go to downtown Seattle. Greyhound has easy access to the light rail. Bolt and Amtrak have a longer walk to the light rail. One way rental cars offer a great option for touring- if you have an overnight flight.

I would strongly suggest you come in at least a couple days early. You see very little of Fairbanks with a cruise tour. A car rental is necessary, but there is a whole lot you can add to your trip. I'm a firm advocate of taking advantage of being there. Great opportunity for aurora, as one example.