Can MDR Passengers Sometimes Be Seated In Select Without Issues?

florida lover

If you have early dining and will return late from an excursion, the MDR staff will tell you to go to Select. They don't want you to show up very late.

The select dining maitre d will seat those who chose select at booking first. During busy times traditional diners will be asked to wait. I think that's fair.

MUCH more efficient and makes many people happier with X's select dining than P rincess' anything goes policy.:rolleyes:

On a recent cruise we were on Select Dining, which is our usual choice. We made friends with a couple who were on Traditional. We asked the Maitre d' if it would be possible for us to eat together one time before the end of the cruise. He said that if we were prepared to eat late he could accommodate us once only. We were very happy with this, and enjoyed a meal together on the next to last night. We appreciated his consideration - I'm sure this is not a usual occurrence, but at the time we ate there were a lot of empty tables.

We made friends with 2 cples one who were select and one who were not and they allowed the non-select to dine with us whenever we asked. They did dine at their assigned table other times and tipped their waiters on the last night even though they were dining with us that night.

This was in June on Silhouette. I think the staff are pretty flexible and we said we would understand if it couldn't be done, but they were always happy to do.

On a recent cruise we were on Select Dining, which is our usual choice. We made friends with a couple who were on Traditional. We asked the Maitre d' if it would be possible for us to eat together one time before the end of the cruise. He said that if we were prepared to eat late he could accommodate us once only. We were very happy with this, and enjoyed a meal together on the next to last night. We appreciated his consideration - I'm sure this is not a usual occurrence, but at the time we ate there were a lot of empty tables.

Select does work great for late diners.. Those who want to dine before 730 need trad or a reservation if they don't want a pager. So the op wants to eat earlier than their reserved time, select probably could not provide it without a wait and causing others to have waits. Just the result of most wanting to eat before 730.

Select does work great for late diners.. Those who want to dine before 730 need trad or a reservation if they don't want a pager. So the op wants to eat earlier than their reserved time, select probably could not provide it without a wait and causing others to have waits. Just the result of most wanting to eat before 730.

This was decidedly NOT the case on our recent Silhouette cruise. We are late diners, preferring 8:00 or after. Eight out of nine nights that we went to the MDR we had a pager for 30 minutes waiting for a table for two.

Add that to the Manhattan-type arrangement of only several inches between adjacent deuces strung out in a line. Then combine both factors with what we found to be a fairly boring menu, and dining on the ship became the worst part of every day. We had two nice meals in Murano and Tuscan Grille but, with the raised add-on prices for those, they very well should be.

Not the case on our upcoming Reflection cruise in November. Late dining is wait listed. :(. Early dining is wide open.

My husband and I are in Blu - we are travelling with our cousin who is in Select in MDR

We are very considerate of other diners - we are REQUESTING that we can dine with our cousin in Select on 2 out of 3 formal nights. We will do this first night when we board.

DO X do the bleeper system like NCL?

We are more than happy to take a bleeper. We eat later than most so don't mind waiting (in a bar of course hah!).

I personally think by us informing Maitre D'he advance that we are freeing up space in Blu - AND we will happily fit in with whatever space there is in MDR Select - this is the way to go.

Am I wrong? I don't think so but what do you think?

You are being more than cooperative. Your post brought up a question - are you sharing the same cabin? Are the two cabins linked together for the billing purposes?

If either of these is correct than your cousin can likely eat with you in Blu. I had grandchildren with me in another cabin and they ate with us in Lumanie on a couple nights (preferred to be on their own most of the time). Celebrity is more than happy to work with you and those that eat late will usually find empty tables. Let the Maitre D' at Blu know what you would like to do the first ight sand they can sort it for you.

You are being more than cooperative. Your post brought up a question - are you sharing the same cabin? Are the two cabins linked together for the billing purposes?

If either of these is correct than your cousin can likely eat with you in Blu. I had grandchildren with me in another cabin and they ate with us in Lumanie on a couple nights (preferred to be on their own most of the time). Celebrity is more than happy to work with you and those that eat late will usually find empty tables. Let the Maitre D' at Blu know what you would like to do the first ight sand they can sort it for you.

Hi, just a bit of information.....Aqua Class cabins are only allowed 2

in a cabin so there is no way everyone is in the same cabin.;)

Edited by Lois R

It wasn't meant to "wash" with you' date=' or anyone else. Traditional late dining is what we prefer for the reason stated.[/quote']

And in select you can make a booking for the same time every night with the same server. So again, your reasons dont carry any weight.

Oh no lol!!! We like our own space and he likes his hahaha

He will very much do his own thing -

We will dine together in perhaps one or two of the speciality restaurants - and we did want to dine in the MDR on two of the three formal nights - both men get kilted up and we all kind of wanted to be out together in oor Scots regalia.

He wont be with us in Blu - he has a balcony cabin - we have cruised together before after he lost his wife a couple of years back - but he is very sociable and will enjoy getting out meeting people.

If its a problem we of course wont bother - but we are very easy about dining times - although wouldn't dine early - but we don't mind waiting till last for example - we will speak to the Maitre D'he first night and see what he/she says.

I'm interrupting this "discussion" :rolleyes: to say,

I love to see a man in a kilt!;)

Oh no lol!!! We like our own space and he likes his hahaha

He will very much do his own thing -

We will dine together in perhaps one or two of the speciality restaurants - and we did want to dine in the MDR on two of the three formal nights - both men get kilted up and we all kind of wanted to be out together in oor Scots regalia.

He wont be with us in Blu - he has a balcony cabin - we have cruised together before after he lost his wife a couple of years back - but he is very sociable and will enjoy getting out meeting people.

If its a problem we of course wont bother - but we are very easy about dining times - although wouldn't dine early - but we don't mind waiting till last for example - we will speak to the Maitre D'he first night and see what he/she says.

I do too - only problem is I might as well be wearing a garbage liner - I pale into insignificance when book ended by this pair :rolleyes:

Ha! So true! I have a friend, female, who married a man in a kilt.

The groom wore a kilt, very handsome.:D

I have no idea what my friend (the bride) wore! Probably a white gown of some sort.;)

I have a question along the same lines. I've got my first Celebrity cruise booked for April. Are gratuities not shared among all waitstaff? I'm gathering from the comments that the staff in traditional don't share in the pool with the staff from Select. Otherwise, why would tips have to be transferred if someone ate in Select one night?

Maybe this is the answer I've been wondering about on why those with Select dining have to pre-pay their tips and traditional diners do not.

I have a question along the same lines. I've got my first Celebrity cruise booked for April. Are gratuities not shared among all waitstaff? I'm gathering from the comments that the staff in traditional don't share in the pool with the staff from Select. Otherwise, why would tips have to be transferred if someone ate in Select one night?

Maybe this is the answer I've been wondering about on why those with Select dining have to pre-pay their tips and traditional diners do not.

I think you will be waiting a long time for this. Some posters seem fixated on their absolute conviction around tips and fixed dining. Rational logic hasnt even been born for them.