Curacao: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!

TLCOhio

I just wanted to let you know that all your hard work and research are still being appreciated. Headed for the first time to Curacao on January 21, 2018

Appreciate this nice and kind follow-up. Glad that this info/visuals has been helpful. Enjoy your visit there next year. Just got an e-mail from good friends visiting there this morning. Below is one picture she just sent. Hopefully, I will get more details and will try to share here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,778 views for this posting.

From our good friend and travel-mate, Amy, here below is the picture she just sent to me, plus this message: "Nice day here. Not too hot. Just getting started on tour. That's our Eclipse home in the background." Looking very sunny and colorful there!!:

20170209_084010_zpsfulylqwr.jpg

Here are some more pictures that friend Amy just sent this morning from enjoying this charming island in the Dutch ABC's. Clearly, they are having fun!! Love this colorful island in the sun.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 65,350 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

These two visuals show more on the liquor options available on this island.:

DecTravel2016A%20030_zpspakjyrjc.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20031_zpsjval3zim.jpg

Here are some added visuals related to their famed and interesting wooden bridge. Plus, some other fun shots/examples from there.:

DecTravel2016A%20034_zpswji9vjrp.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20033_zpsskyvqebi.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20035_zpscnifrg6o.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20032_zpsnbdqfzy6.jpg

From my "agent", Amy, now in the Dutch ABC Islands, I have some more of her visuals to share. Below are three pictures. More to come. Their Celebrity cruise ship, the Eclipse, will be there till 11 pm tonight and then they travel to Aruba for two days in that port. More pictures and fun to be shared.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 208,758 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Curacao, here is their National Archives Building.:

DecTravel2016A%20036_zps6rrj47iw.jpg

Here is the view from outside the entrance of their Fort Nassau.:

DecTravel2016A%20037_zpsqkzt4snh.jpg

From the docking location in Curacao, here is the view of the high bridge and other buildings/housing in this community. Like the beautiful sky and water?:

DecTravel2016A%20038_zpsifqazeoi.jpg

• 3 months later...

Below is a connection for the live/blog from our March experiences in doing this fun "adventure". This includes our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction.

Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. It will be on the Silversea Cruise Critic board.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Another great pictorial visit. Can't wait for my cruise in November 2018. Only new place for me will be Bonaire. I am sure I will love it as much as Aruba and Caracas. I am sitting here wearing my Murano glass heart made only to sell in Caracas. Beautiful blues to match the sea.

Sent from my SM-T817R4 using Forums mobile app

Another great pictorial visit. Can't wait for my cruise in November 2018. Only new place for me will be Bonaire. I am sure I will love it as much as Aruba and Caracas. I am sitting here wearing my Murano glass heart made only to sell in Caracas. Beautiful blues to match the sea.

Appreciate your nice comments and this follow-up. Good luck with your upcoming return in November 2018 to the sunny Caribbean.

For "Bonaire: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262075

THANKS for your family's service to our country! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 181,218 views for this posting.

• 2 months later...
Terry, thank you so much! I couldn't see any pictures because of the new Photobucket set up. I appreciated all the links!

Appreciate this nice feedback and comments. Tell me more on and if any problems in seeing the pictures on this thread or any others. On my computer and from other locations, the visuals are coming through OK. Plus, below are more visual samples from our most recent trip/adventure.

Just got back in late June from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites!

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fantastic photos!

Questions if I may:

How much time did you spend at Sea Aquarium? And the "feeding times" I see advertised is staff feeding and/or guests can feed?

Was it easy to see all the "shows" during the day, or are some scheduled at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic photos! Questions if I may: How much time did you spend at Sea Aquarium? And the "feeding times" I see advertised is staff feeding and/or guests can feed? Was it easy to see all the "shows" during the day, or are some scheduled at the same time? Thanks in advance!

Great photos and information - just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

Appreciate these super great comments and follow-ups. It is very nice to get this kind of positive feed-back from such smart people!!

On the Sea Aquarium, we spent about an hour and a half there. Saw the two key "shows" that were of most interested to us. This is not a big, huge aquarium. It's not like being at Disney World with dozens of options. The experience worked well and the crowds were not that large when we were there. As I re-call the guest feedings might have involved some added costs. Not totally sure as that was not as much for our interests. Hope this helps! Any other questions or comments?

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 189,644 views for this posting.

• 1 year later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: “The world's most colourful destinations  with a highlight on Curacao.  Calling Willemstad as a "lively and cosmopolitan capital", they cite the "brimful of pastel-colored Dutch colonial buildings.".  Below is visual example as a part of their profile of different world locations.  

Bring back nice memories from being there in 2015.  Below are the links to our two latest adventures.  Lots of exciting visuals on both detailed live/blogs.  

Full colorful destinations story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/galleries/most-colourful-cities-and-towns/rio-brazil/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,040 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

1364214875_ScreenShot2019-06-08at4_05_42PM.thumb.png.aa8ccf1c00a51d6b5f5c7e9b6fb573c3.png

• 3 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: “50 best islands in the world” with this background sub-head: "Over 5,000 people took part in a poll to compile a ranking of the 50 best islands from around the world". 

Curaçao gained high honors with this story highlight and a ranking for 27th in the world: “According to Big 7 Travel, the Dutch-Caribbean island of Curaçao is one of the most colourful in the Caribbean. Its most famous neighbourhood is Shcarloo, where visitors will find colourful buildings and street art'”   Congrats to Curaçao!!

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7507787/The-50-best-islands-world-2019-revealed-Iceland-Washington-State-Scotland.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska

• 4 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this upcoming weekend, they will have this headline: 36 Hours in Curaçao with these highlights: “Turquoise waters, delicious seafood, colorful snorkeling and white sand: There are a lot of places in the Caribbean that have all these wonderful things, but Curaçao is one place you might not have discovered. Sandwiched between Aruba and Bonaire, and a short boat ride from the Venezuelan coast, Curaçao is bigger than its island neighbors and packed with memorable treasures for enterprising travelers to discover. Of the Dutch West Indies, Curaçao may very well be the most Dutch; the island’s capital, Willemstad, looks like a colorful mini Amsterdam, and Curaçao’s currency is the guilder, the former currency of the Netherlands (though United States dollars are readily accepted across the island). Restaurant menus often feature both bitterballen (fried Dutch meatballs) and kabritu stoba (Antillean goat stew), and when the Dutch soccer teams play, the bars are packed with orange shirts drinking Heineken and speaking Papiamento, the local language. Amid this blended culture is a beach hopper’s dream, and the best way to enjoy everything the island offers is by renting a car and roaming the island’s roads until you find the perfect blue cove.”

Many options and potential are outlined in this profile.  There is an interesting interactive map, plus a wide range of visuals, place for dining, etc.  Brings back nice memories from our fun on this interesting island.  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-curacao.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 228,885 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

10 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this upcoming weekend, they will have this headline: 36 Hours in Curaçao with these highlights: “Turquoise waters, delicious seafood, colorful snorkeling and white sand: There are a lot of places in the Caribbean that have all these wonderful things, but Curaçao is one place you might not have discovered. Sandwiched between Aruba and Bonaire, and a short boat ride from the Venezuelan coast, Curaçao is bigger than its island neighbors and packed with memorable treasures for enterprising travelers to discover. Of the Dutch West Indies, Curaçao may very well be the most Dutch; the island’s capital, Willemstad, looks like a colorful mini Amsterdam, and Curaçao’s currency is the guilder, the former currency of the Netherlands (though United States dollars are readily accepted across the island). Restaurant menus often feature both bitterballen (fried Dutch meatballs) and kabritu stoba (Antillean goat stew), and when the Dutch soccer teams play, the bars are packed with orange shirts drinking Heineken and speaking Papiamento, the local language. Amid this blended culture is a beach hopper’s dream, and the best way to enjoy everything the island offers is by renting a car and roaming the island’s roads until you find the perfect blue cove.”

Many options and potential are outlined in this profile.  There is an interesting interactive map, plus a wide range of visuals, place for dining, etc.  Brings back nice memories from our fun on this interesting island.  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-curacao.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 228,885 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

This 36 hours article,  I must say, has some inconsistencies. 

First the local language is Papiamentu,  a large majority of our lodging is not concentrated in Pietermaai, Pirate's Bay is not in Otrobanda,  and quite frankly,  I'm not sure what type of vehicle the author was driving to get from point A to point B so quickly (locals can't even drive to those places in that order as quickly) or what kind of "speed service " she was getting in the places she ate to move around on that timeline. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 7:36 PM, bup1224 said:

This 36 hours article,  I must say, has some inconsistencies. First the local language is Papiamentu,  a large majority of our lodging is not concentrated in Pietermaai, Pirate's Bay is not in Otrobanda,  and quite frankly,  I'm not sure what type of vehicle the author was driving to get from point A to point B so quickly (locals can't even drive to those places in that order as quickly) or what kind of "speed service " she was getting in the places she ate to move around on that timeline. 

Great that you posted these above added information items. Very helpful sharing.  We had been traveling in New Zealand and the South Pacific in mid February through March 7.  Just catching up now.  Unfortunately right now so much cruising and traveling has been limited by this virus situation.  We all hope things return to normal when proper testing and safety can be provided.   

From that NY Times profile, here is one of many visuals by their photographer used toillustrte.  This is of the Queen Emma Pontoon floating bridge that’ is wonderful for strolling In Willemstad.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1061729305_ScreenShot2020-05-10at6_43_30PM.thumb.png.76b6e0e3de19075c8f22748ab7c56244.png

• 2 years later...

From Forbes magazine earlier this month, they had this headline: Best Places To Travel In 2023 with these highlights by writer Katie Seemann to spotlight Curaçao: If you’re looking for an under-the-radar Caribbean destination to visit this year, add Curaçao to your vacation wish-list. Along with Aruba and Bonaire, Curaçao makes up the last third of the ABC Islands, a group of Dutch Caribbean islands located off the coast of South America. Situated just below the hurricane belt, one of the benefits of visiting Curaçao is the very low risk of hurricanes or large tropical storms.  In addition to beautiful beaches, Curaçao is known for excellent scuba diving and of course, its namesake orange-flavored liquor. When you’re there be sure to check out the capital city of Willemstad to see the colorful buildings and vibrant murals the town is known for. This is also where you’ll find the Queen Emma Bridge, a pontoon-style pedestrian bridge that you can actually ride while it opens and closes.

We enjoyed our 2015 visit to Curaçao and the ABC's, especially seeing the architecture there on this Dutch island, the Queen Emma Bridge, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/travel-rewards/best-places-to-travel-2023/

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 1

From MSN News yesterday, they had this headline: Hidden Gem Caribbean Islands Not To Overlook with these highlights for Curaçao: Long a favorite cruise port in the southern Caribbean, the island of Curaçao is a trending and versatile Caribbean destination that requires more than just a day at port to explore properly. Curaçao's iconic and colorful Dutch Caribbean architecture sits alongside the island's white sand beaches, while the island's burgeoning food scene and updated boutique hotels and resorts welcome guests to an unforgettable experience for all the senses.  Snorkeling and diving in Curaçao are legendary, as the island boasts one-of-a-kind walls and reefs with colorful corals and fish, plus a handful of easily-accessible shipwrecks that will have you feeling like a true explorer under the waves. Dive shops around the island offer PADI courses and certifications to help you make the most of one of the Caribbean's best destinations for diving.

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/11-hidden-gem-caribbean-islands-not-to-overlook/ar-AA16HWCn

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,985 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 1