Oasis 9/19 Eastern - D/D+

cot427

Just returned from a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Oasis. I'm a Diamond and my traveling companion is a Diamond Plus, so I thought I would share some thoughts specifically regarding those points, as well a few overall things. (In the past I've done full reviews, shorter reviews and then one at all, so I thought providing some quick thoughts would be nice.)

Previously, I've sailed on Oasis and Allure. They are my absolute favorite ships afloat. (haven't tried Quantum or Anthem yet.)

-Embarkation: We breezed right through the priority check-in line and found ourselves sitting in the D+ area waiting to board. I believe before we got there they had problems with the camera feature, so boarding was held up a bit because people had to get their picture taken just before boarding the ship instead of when they got their cards. Other than that, it was uneventful. We made our way to the Park Cafe, found a seat outside and got the delicious roast beef sandwiches while enjoying the sun and people watching.

-Debarkation: Apparently some of the customs agents either didn't show up or they didn't schedule enough at the port (not the cruise line's fault) so lines were backed up about 45mins from your scheduled time. No big deal for us. We were either waiting in the comfort of the ship or at the airport. They did a good job of passing information along in the theater, where C&A members waited, as well as provided coffee, other beverages and pastries.

-Food: We had main seating and found ourselves in the corner with a half window view. Being a D+, my companion called and requested a table with a view. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if the service was better, however our dining room team wasn't the greatest...a trend that I keep finding cruise after cruise on RCI. They would bring appetizers and completely different times for the table (some would be finished with two while others were waiting for their second still) and they would forget things that we requested (specifically drinks.)

The actual food was pretty good. Better than the past few years.

Chops Grille was delicious, as usual. I do urge you to make reservations on the first day. I waited til the second day in the afternoon and they were pretty much booked up for early times. I was lucky enough to get a 5:30 on the day I wanted.

-Diamond Lounge: We never ended up going for breakfast or coffee, however we tried going a few times for the cocktail hour. Very hard to get a seat unless you go right at 5. Also quite hard to get a waiter to bring you a drink if you do find a seat. Additionally, it was frustrating getting in touch with the diamond concierge as she was always busy. Many nights we ended up using our 3 drinks on the card in the Champagne Lounge - which was very nice. Never too crowded, wonderful staff, and near the dining room.

-D+ Priority Seating: We only took advantage of this in the theater 2 nights (Come Fly with Me and Headliner.) I think this is a nice benefit, however I don't get why the open it up 5 minutes before showtime. It's very inconvenient to have to get up multiple times to let people through. It also causes a large group congregating near the rows until that time. I think they should either do away with it or keep it priority the whole time.

-Other D/D+ perks: Theater, Galley and Bridge tours were offered. Since we have done the theater and galley on previous cruises, we opted for a bridge tour which was very nice, complete with Captain Per Kristofferson appearing towards the end.

I received my online diamond perk selection (bottle of wine which appeared at dinner) however my companion did not receive either of their D+ gifts, even after asking about them.

-Shows:

Come Fly with Me was pretty good (normal RCI production show, imo) Aqua/diving show was fantastic

Ice Show was just mediocre this time (they kept falling, which was not caused by a rocking ship but perhaps wet ice??)

Cats was fantastic as well. For anyone into musicals, I saw it at home and it did not compare to the show on Oasis. If you have the energy and focus, please enjoy it! We sat two rows back and it was very interactive and fun.

Comedy show: Both comedians were great. Can't really go wrong here.

Headliner: I forget his name off the top of my head, but he did famous musical impersonations and was in Vegas for a few years. Quite good!

I'm not going to comment on the ports as I've been to these countless times, however if you have a specific question I may be able to answer it.

If you have any other questions, please ask away!

The problem we had, and please note if this is applicable to you, is that if you get a booking perk (such as through a TA) for specialty dining, you have to book once onboard.

Interestingly, last year on Explorer we just made the reservation and showed up. On Oasis, I just happened to be at guest services and mentioned it and they gave me a voucher to take.

A bottle of wine at dinner sounds like a typical D+ amenity. Might there have been name mix up, such that your D+ companion's wine ended up at your place setting? Or was that bottle a special promotion or gift from TA?

Actually I think you may be right. Anyway...they drank most of the bottle so that works out!

We were on the same cruise! We had main dining in the Grande dining room with a table for 2 by the center railing and it was great. We had excellent wait and bar staff. I am sorry yours wasn't as good.

We also thought the MDR food was very good. We decided to eat in the MDR every night and were very pleased with the quality and variety, with just a few exceptions of individual dishes.

The only specialty dining we did was Sabor for lunch and it was fantastic! We did the tasting menu for $20 a person and it was 5 courses and so much food! We had a nice leisurely lunch with a few of the boardwalk.

J

-Diamond Lounge: We never ended up going for breakfast or coffee, however we tried going a few times for the cocktail hour. Very hard to get a seat unless you go right at 5. Also quite hard to get a waiter to bring you a drink if you do find a seat. Additionally, it was frustrating getting in touch with the diamond concierge as she was always busy. Many nights we ended up using our 3 drinks on the card in the Champagne Lounge - which was very nice. Never too crowded, wonderful staff, and near the dining room.

Being a brand new Diamond and our first Diamond sailing will be on Oasis, I'll have to go into the lounge at least one a take picture. If I find what you find, we may use our drinks at the Rising Tide.

If you have the energy and focus, please enjoy it! We sat two rows back and it was very interactive and fun.

That is the 2nd time I've heard that. My wife has seen Cats, I have not. I may want to sit further back in case I fall asleep. I don't want to wake up with an angry cat in my face. I'm going in with an open mind.

We were on the same cruise! We had main dining in the Grande dining room with a table for 2 by the center railing and it was great. We had excellent wait and bar staff. I am sorry yours wasn't as good.

We also thought the MDR food was very good. We decided to eat in the MDR every night and were very pleased with the quality and variety, with just a few exceptions of individual dishes.

The only specialty dining we did was Sabor for lunch and it was fantastic! We did the tasting menu for $20 a person and it was 5 courses and so much food! We had a nice leisurely lunch with a few of the boardwalk.

Glad to hear it! I'm kind of wishing we tried Sabor, but the person I traveled with isn't a huge fan of that cuisine. Maybe next time!

So long as the gift was shared and enjoyed😀

Only 25 more points til I'm D+ myself!

I thought if you were sailing with a higher or lower C&A tier, you would not be able to share in the higher tiers perks. Such as D+ Priority Seating.

I am not trying to start a debate, I am just curious.

Edited by LilBlackDress

I thought if you were sailing with a higher or lower C&A tier, you would not be able to share in the higher tiers perks. Such as D+ Priority Seating.

I am not trying to start a debate, I am just curious.

The "priority seating" was the only instance in which this could have been an issue. However they only asked to see my companion's card and let us both sit there. Now I wouldn't have been upset if they would have said no because they aren't the best rows of seats. With that said, the entire rows were basically empty until they opened it up to everyone else.

Interestingly, the bridge tour was only addressed to her. However we dropped it off with the diamond concierge and she wrote my name on the card so that I could attend also.

We also used D+ boarding come to think of it. Which was probably 2 minutes before they called diamonds. All of these not a big deal in my eyes, especially since it was just two people. However I understand people's concerns. But I'm not about to let my traveling companion go alone or not enjoy her perks, and this wasn't a problem we encountered.

Thank you for the info. I don't see a problem if it is just one maybe even two extra people :)

And you are right about the 'priority seating' not being the best of the best or even convenient... Nice that there is something tho :)

Thank you for the info. I don't see a problem if it is just one maybe even two extra people :)

And you are right about the 'priority seating' not being the best of the best or even convenient... Nice that there is something tho :)

You are right! I appreciate the thought. There's just something about sitting there and having people turned away. I think what's funny is when they say you have to have a gold card and then people who are gold C&A status present their cards. It's like no, these people are paying thousands of dollars for suites OR they have been on so many they forgot how many times they've been to Nassau and St. Thomas and stopped counting years ago.

You are right! I appreciate the thought. There's just something about sitting there and having people turned away. I think what's funny is when they say you have to have a gold card and then people who are gold C&A status present their cards. It's like no, these people are paying thousands of dollars for suites OR they have been on so many they forgot how many times they've been to Nassau and St. Thomas and stopped counting years ago.

I still do not understand why they have the lowest C&A color the same as the highest seapass color...

There are so many other colors, stones, metals in the world to pick from!!