Tour guide recommendations from Glasgow

Peteymil

Don't think the Glasgow Tourist Board would give you as good an answer as fellow cruisers! I assume you're docking in Greenock? Some US friends did lots of private tours when they did the Round Britain on Princess so I'll see if I can find out who they used in Greenock.

Don't think the Glasgow Tourist Board would give you as good an answer as fellow cruisers! I assume you're docking in Greenock? Some US friends did lots of private tours when they did the Round Britain on Princess so I'll see if I can find out who they used in Greenock.

Thank you Tartanexile81. You helped me with so many questions last summer and we had such a fabulous time we are doing the trip again!

I'm really pleased the cruise went well. I hope the weather wasn't too bad. We've had a glorious September here so I think people who did a late Season cruise will have been very pleased.

Anyway here is the info I promised for a tour from greenock some friends did on the Round Britain cruise.

A 1 day shore excursion from Greenock would be in the region of £320 for a 6 seat van and £340 for an 8 seat van. Tours don't normally start until around 8am as that is when most people get off the ship. A deposit of £60 pounds would be required to confirm a booking and the balance paid on the day of the tour.

Here is a copy of the Loch Lomond, Stirling and Trossachs Tour that we normally do from Greenock.

Great Scot Tours

Here is a detail of the Loch Lomond , Stirling and Trossachs Tour:

When we leave Greenock we pass the little Castle of Newark is more like a fly-by as it does not open until after we pass in the morning. I mention it mainly because of the name "Newark" which may ring a few bells with those from New Jersey. It is fairly un-interesting but is one of the many ruins of castles in Scotland, we have over 2,000.

There are lots of brief stops for photographs including Dumbarton Castle, where Mary Queens of Scots stayed before leaving for France as a young girl. We then proceed to Loch Lomond and the village of Luss, where we stop for about 45 mins, to see the village and take photo's of this "Brig a Doon" type village. We then proceed to the Trossachs area of mountains and Lochs (lakes) and make a brief stop at the village of Aberfoyle, famous for Fairies in times past. There is an interesting Wool and Sheep attraction and time for a comfort break and a quick shopping.

We now leave Aberfoyle along the Dukes Mountain Pass, through the Trossachs, famous for Rob Roy MacGregor, passing fields of Scottish Bluebells, (if they are still out) and some outstanding scenery as we make our way into the town of Callander. We have a very brief stop to see a Scottish Highland Bull, called Hamish and his wife Heather.

Callander is a nice Highland Town with lots of shops and eateries. We spend just over an hour here to let you get a bite to eat before leaving for the City of Stirling. We stop briefly at the Castle of Doune, where the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail was partially filmed. People like to get a few photos, but there is not enough time to go this castle. We arrive at Stirling Castle and spend at least an hour going through this magnificent Fortress Castle, where the ancient Kings of Scotland resided. The cost is about £12 pounds per person to go through it. Mary Queens of Scots also stayed here as a young child with her Father King James V. and generations of Kings and Queens before that. This is also the area where Sir William Wallace, Braveheart of Scotland won his battles against the English. You can see the Wallace Monument from the castle approaches.

Time is now against us and we have to make our way back to the ship. I do not know at this point what your departure time is, but we aim to back about 1 hour before you sail. This varies from cruise to cruise depending on tides etc. The cost does not include attractions or meals, tips etc.

We were on the Regal last month and docked in Greenock. We used Timberbush tours and were very pleasantly surprised at how good the tour was, considering it was a 30-seat bus and was quite reasonably priced. We visited Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond, the village of Luss, Aberfoyle and The Trossachs. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use them again. We used a discount code so our price was 42 GBP pp.

http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/our-tours/shore-excursions/1-day-loch-lomond-the-trossachs-stirling-castle/

• 9 months later...

Hi Peteymill

Try contacting this gentleman, he is a friend and former colleague of mine who runs a small company offering tours to cruise ship passengers calling at Greenock. If he cannot offer you something he will know someone reputable who can.

Here are the contact details for my friends company.

07786077996, email:- andrewbhm@aol.com.

I am quite sure he will get you a tour to your liking.

• 1 month later...
How do they do with regards to payment for people on shore excursions? Full payment before arrival?

I did not organize the tour but I sent a check to the woman who did organize it before our cruise. I assume that means she had to pay ahead of time but I am sure if you email them they will let you know.