Lfk...

Vacation23

I signed up for LFK yesterday but didn't submit payment. I'm guessing you pay in cash when you get there? I emailed them, but they are slow to respond. I'd like to make sure because I have to cancel Maya Key and don't want to be stuck without either.

Edited by npro1464

I signed up for LFK yesterday but didn't submit payment. I'm guessing you pay in cash when you get there? I emailed them, but they are slow to respond. I'd like to make sure because I have to cancel Maya Key and don't want to be stuck without either.

When we sent the request we got an email (i think the next day) that stated we would pay when we get there. So you are fine to cancel the other.

Yep, they said we would pay when we got there and could choose packages then. There are 11 of us over 3 different families, so we will all want different things. I have heard Maya Key is awesome, but I did LFK because Maya Key is only through the cruiselines and they decide when you go and leave and I want to go at my leisure and stay as long as I want to.

Little French Key, ah. I couldn't believe how disappointed I was. I tried to stay as positive as possible- we felt baited and switched when we arrived and so did EVERYONE in line. We all got emails stating that using a credit card would be an 18% tax, or we could pay in cash. Almost all of us payed in cash and we were still slapped with the 18% fee. Everyone in line was really mad. I tried to stay as positive as possible and not allow it to color my view of the day. But, there was garbage floating in the water, half the place was under construction so there was loud banging all day, we got the cheaper package to save money and thought we'd buy our own lunch, but each plate of food was $25 so we ended up spending equal to the package anyway- which I guess is our own fault, but $25 for a small plate of food was insane. There was pizza on the menu that was cheaper, but they said they only have pizza on the weekends. Since the menu was a chalk board, I wish they just erased it- it was kind of a tease. No staff spoke to us all day, unless we approached them. And the WORST PART was they booted us at 3:15pm, after arriving at noon, and we didn't need to board the ship until 6:30. He claimed we needed time to get back... I get that, but we had planned to stay until 4-4:30. No, we were all out by 3:30 at his (owners?) demand. Everyone, once again, was livid. It wasn't a choice either- he kicked everyone out at 3:30. We were back on the ship by 4:15 and didn't leave Honduras for another 3 hours! We'd never even dream of returning, myself and others there were talking about trip advisor and cruise critic and were blown away at how it had so many positive reviews... we all collectively hated it.

The above was posted on the NCL board yesterday.

I also so that review. It is the only review out of hundreds I have read saying it was anything other than perfect. I am not worried. Not everyone is going to have a great experience. I also emailed LFK to ask if they charge an extra fee. I figured I would ask them.

Edited by corley05

The thing that makes me nervous about that review is that we are on the same ship. We don't get into port until 11. If the standard policy is to shut down at 3 to start shuttling people back to port, I will be disappointed because 98 dollars for 3 hours is really expensive!! I more so if it is 116 with a fee. I am going to do Maya Key instead.

Plz post your relpies from LFK I tok was told fee is only for CC .I was under impression pizza is open every day I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THAT PLATE OF FOOD And oue ship lesves at 6:30 thx

I am including my questions to them and their response (this way their replies make sense). My email is in italics. I did not ask about pizza. And I still plan on going. If they have to charge tax I am ok with that. I would have preferred them to tell me before I show up tho.

> Can you clarify something for me? The cost is 88 per person cash. No

> additional fees, right?

> There is a post going on around cruise critic that states you charge an

> additional 18% per person even with cash and that you will make passengers

> leave way before they need to.

>

> I have spent a lot of time reading reviews about your

> facility/beach/paradise and this is not a typical review but it is recent.

> I wanted to ask you before I believe the words of strangers on the

> internet.

>

> The day we are in Roatan there are 5 ships in port, will you guys be super

> crowded.

>

> Looking forward to our visit.

>

> Sent from my iPad

>

Hi Catherine,

The cost of the package is $88. Unfortunately, the Honduran government has

recently imposed a 15% tax charge on all of our packages, whether the

packages are paid in cash or with a credit card. We apologize for this,

but the government has tied our hands on this tax issue.

We love having our guests enjoy our facility for as long as time allows

and we would never force anyone to leave before time. We do however,

insure that our guests are at the terminal in time for departure.

We do not expect to be crowded on the date of your arrival, however, our

island is quite spacious with 3 different beaches and a lot of trees and

hammocks, etc.

Thank you for giving us the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to

clarify these allegations, we really appreciate it. Please feel free to

contact us with any other question or concern.

Best regards,

Wilford James

I am including my questions to them and their response (this way their replies make sense). My email is in italics. I did not ask about pizza. And I still plan on going. If they have to charge tax I am ok with that. I would have preferred them to tell me before I show up tho.

> Can you clarify something for me? The cost is 88 per person cash. No

> additional fees, right?

> There is a post going on around cruise critic that states you charge an

> additional 18% per person even with cash and that you will make passengers

> leave way before they need to.

>

> I have spent a lot of time reading reviews about your

> facility/beach/paradise and this is not a typical review but it is recent.

> I wanted to ask you before I believe the words of strangers on the

> internet.

>

> The day we are in Roatan there are 5 ships in port, will you guys be super

> crowded.

>

> Looking forward to our visit.

>

> Sent from my iPad

>

Hi Catherine,

The cost of the package is $88. Unfortunately, the Honduran government has

recently imposed a 15% tax charge on all of our packages, whether the

packages are paid in cash or with a credit card. We apologize for this,

but the government has tied our hands on this tax issue.

We love having our guests enjoy our facility for as long as time allows

and we would never force anyone to leave before time. We do however,

insure that our guests are at the terminal in time for departure.

We do not expect to be crowded on the date of your arrival, however, our

island is quite spacious with 3 different beaches and a lot of trees and

hammocks, etc.

Thank you for giving us the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to

clarify these allegations, we really appreciate it. Please feel free to

contact us with any other question or concern.

Best regards,

Wilford James

Thanks for posting this. There will be 3 ships including us when we are there. Cozumel is our crazy day with 6 ships!!

Is it 15% or 18% maybe its 15%on cash and 18% on credit. Could that be right?

There are two different fees at play. My understanding is that you have two choices to pay cash or credit card. If you pay with cash you do not incur a fee to process the card (15%) but you are charged 15% for taxes to the government.

If you do pay by credit card you would have to pay both 15% (one a fee and one a tax). I think that is correct. I emailed them back asking that question and also asked if they are charging the 15% to any food/drink or just the admission to get it.

I really do not object to paying tax at all. I just want to be informed so I bring enough money. I don't plan to bring a card with me. I can understand why they charge more to run a credit card, I know those fees to merchants aren't cheap.

There are two different fees at play. My understanding is that you have two choices to pay cash or credit card. If you pay with cash you do not incur a fee to process the card (15%) but you are charged 15% for taxes to the government.

If you do pay by credit card you would have to pay both 15% (one a fee and one a tax). I think that is correct. I emailed them back asking that question and also asked if they are charging the 15% to any food/drink or just the admission to get it.

I really do not object to paying tax at all. I just want to be informed so I bring enough money. I don't plan to bring a card with me. I can understand why they charge more to run a credit card, I know those fees to merchants aren't cheap.

I don't want to use credit card either but I would like to know about the tax also. They really should notify the people who already booked the excursion about the tax.

The most recent reply:

Hi Catherine,

there is no need for apologies; we are here to help our guests feel at

ease and comfortable with the choices they make with LFK.

The total cost for the $88 packages for 2 is $202.4 including the 15%

Honduran government imposed tax.

Please feel free to ask all the question you have; we want you to be

comfortable with the choices you make.

Wilford James

If you use your credit card there would only be 15% tax charge and nothing

more.

Thanks, this is very helpful. My 5 year old will definitely eat pizza!!

Sorry if I'm overloading you, but I also just received this email. I guess two different people are answering my emails and didn't realize someone already sent the other one.

"We have a recently installed Pizza oven on the beach and the prices per

pizza are from $17 to 25 and we have at least 5 different flavors.

Our extensive food items start from $6 (kids food) up the $35 party

platter that includes chicken wings, steak bites and much more."

Edited by tkportersat

I have spent a lot of time reading reviews about your facility/beach/paradise and this is not a typical review but it is recent. I wanted to ask you before I believe the words of strangers on the internet.

Hi Catherine,

The cost of the package is $88. Unfortunately, the Honduran government has recently imposed a 15% tax charge on all of our packages, whether the packages are paid in cash or with a credit card. We apologize for this, but the government has tied our hands on this tax issue.

My question is what date is recently imposed government tax?? My email confirmation on 11Oct2015 simply states 2 adults @ $88pp including round-trip transportation. There is absolutely no mention of additional fees--government imposed or otherwise. If any posters know the answer to my question, please chime in. In the meantime I will send the same question to the proprietor.

My question is what date is recently imposed government tax?? My email confirmation on 11Oct2015 simply states 2 adults @ $88pp including round-trip transportation. There is absolutely no mention of additional fees--government imposed or otherwise. If any posters know the answer to my question, please chime in. In the meantime I will send the same question to the proprietor.

My confirmation was in August and no mention of any tax. I am wondering if they are going to notify anyone of this tax with reservations already made. What would happen if you got there and didn't have enough cash. Would they take you back to the ship?

When I booked back in August this was on their website right above the "BOOK NOW" button :

"We accept US cash and credit cards with an additional fee of 15% Honduran Tax.Kids under 11 receive 50% discount. We also offer 10% discount for group of ten or larger."

For that do not know, if you have been to LFK let them know and you get a 10% discount for returning. They had a record of our previous visit and we got a confirmation of the discount.

I might cancel now. Maya Key is $69 v as opposed to $98 (if you include the extra $10 pp to snorkel vs snorkel for free). Both packages have food, but LFK has 2 free drinks. I highly doubt my two drinks will equal $30.

Its a shame, it looks like both places were much cheaper before. LFK should eat the tax, IMO.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I might cancel now. Maya Key is $69 v as opposed to $98 (if you include the extra $10 pp to snorkel vs snorkel for free). Both packages have food, but LFK has 2 free drinks. I highly doubt my two drinks will equal $30.

Its a shame, it looks like both places were much cheaper before. LFK should eat the tax, IMO.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about it too because I have heard from a few people that you can stay longer than 4 hours at Maya Key.

My confirmation was in August and no mention of any tax. I am wondering if they are going to notify anyone of this tax with reservations already made. What would happen if you got there and didn't have enough cash. Would they take you back to the ship?

I'm with you ranchette on your concerns about a return to the ship as I surely would have shown up without enough cash if not for this thread. While I agree that the photos and trip reviews of this place are incredible, I've decided it's just not for me based upon numerous factors.

My correspondence with LFK which is best read from the bottom of this post and upward. I admit I was too lazy to reverse. :cool:

To: info@littlefrenchkey.com

Subject: RE: New submission from Little French Key - Reservation Form

Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:11:25 -0500

Indeed an apology is warranted as the original reservation makes no mention of an amount due of more than 88USD per person. I highly suggest you reword your website and confirmation email so there is no mistake that a 15% government tax will be assessed any and all reservations. Your current wording is most deceptive.

Consider my reservation canceled.

Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 10:22:01 -0700

Subject: RE: New submission from Little French Key - Reservation Form

Dear Pamela,

we apologize for any misunderstanding that may have come about as a result of our previous communications, but we do charge a 15% Honduran Tax that is imposed by the local government and over which we, regrettable, have no control. The total amount due at check-in is $202.4 with no additional charge.

Again, apologize for any inconvenience we might have cause and we would really love to share our little piece of paradise with you.

Best regards,

Wilford James

I inadvertently wiped out the email so no info on when I sent the following to LFK but have to believe it was either on Nov 07-08 as they were very quick to respond which was most appreciated.

I wrote:

A recent post on CruiseCritic.com indicates the $88 pp as quoted below in this email is not the true cash amount due upon check-in. There is nothing in your email that suggests any additional fees will be assessed (government or otherwise) against the $88 pp originally quoted to me.

Please confirm via a reply to this email the TOTAL USD amount due at

check-in based upon the confirmation below.

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 15:42:34 -0600

Hi Pamela

We have your reservation confirmed for 2 adults @ $88 pp

December 8th, 2015 which includes round trip transportation .

We make sure you all will be back on ship before time..

Thank you for choosing Little French Key!!

Ugh! I'm so torn! That 15% tax is an extra $46 for my family (at the $88 package rate with 3 kids), and it is already expensive to begin with. I actually booked Maya Key, then cancelled because I asked Mitsugirly which was her fave since she did such extensive reviews and she said LFK hands down. I don't know what to do!! I have really been wanting to go here since I read her review and honestly we might not get to Honduras again.

I would be interested to know if you get a reply to your cancellation.

Edited by mickev99

Ugh! I'm so torn! That 15% tax is an extra $46 for my family (at the $88 package rate with 3 kids), and it is already expensive to begin with. I actually booked Maya Key, then cancelled because I asked Mitsugirly which was her fave since she did such extensive reviews and she said LFK hands down. I don't know what to do!! I have really been wanting to go here since I read her review and honestly we might not get to Honduras again.

I would be interested to know if you get a reply to your cancellation.

Go for it you're on vacation.Have a good time!