Tortola – Biodynamic Farm & Island Food Tastings

Iamthesea

I received an email from Oceania about this Tortola – Biodynamic Farm & Island food tasting for our upcoming Caribbean cruise on the Riviera. They say that reservations are now open and to call Oceania. :rolleyes: I really do not want to call without knowing a bit more about it. Can someone fill me in on what it is all about and the cost? There were several other tasting listed for different cruises and islands, so anyone with experience of these tasting, please respond. ;)

I read the description, but no pricing. I thought the tour sounded interesting and fun. Then I saw the last sentence "There are no available restroom facilities at the farm." :eek: After a bus ride to get there, I am sure that I would need to use the restroom before climbing those hills!

I do not think my DH would be interested in this tour. I thought it involved us learning to prepare some dishes. :(

Here is a link to the farm that I found.

http://goodmoonfarm.com/

Thank you again for leading me in the right direction. I semi looked on the Oceania website, but did so under Special Offerings

Edited by Iamthesea

If you look under your specific cruise it has the prices depending which tour package you may have

it is listed as $199 pp

your world package $149.25 pp

unlimited Package N/A

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-RVA160212/port-tortola-EIS/?voyageday=7#all

Edited by LHT28

I have spent a bit of time in Tortola ....and safely comment that ther are2 things to do in Tortola...and one is to leave.

Its a crazy small patchwook island with a hint of British flair. I got the same flyer and my reaction was are they friggen kidding.... A gourmet tour... in Tortola that doesn't start or end in a bar.!!!!

I have to admit that O must have one hell of a talented copy writer in their Shore Ex dept...(Probably an Ex timeshare or used car sales man).. Makes it almost real, unless you have been there...

Hey... I am a food lover and prof trained chef... I love neat and special places and cuisine...BUT amigos, Tortola isn't on my list ... Its your dime... spend it wisely.

What's the 2nd thing to do? :D

If you look under your specific cruise it has the prices depending which tour package you may have

it is listed as $199 pp

your world package $149.25 pp

unlimited Package N/A

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-RVA160212/port-tortola-EIS/?voyageday=7#all

Thank you!

Surely you don't mean to stay in the cabin! ;) We do that with many of the Caribbean islands after visiting them 2-3 times, but since this will be our first time to Tortola, I think we will at least get off.

For anyone that has been to Tortola...Is there a good beach?

Surely you don't mean to stay in the cabin! ;) We do that with many of the Caribbean islands after visiting them 2-3 times, but since this will be our first time to Tortola, I think we will at least get off.

No...There are really no good beaches... these are coral and volcanic isles in a shallow sea St John/cruze bay onSt John is good Snorkel can be good but Tortola has a lot of mud flats.

Tortola's place on the map is a tax-haven for yachts and a place to charter them from. The locale economy revolves boat rental,supply,repair and maint. It draws a lot of free spirits who working that business hang out between jobs.

And no, I wasen't, as the2nd thing to do, suggesting a cabin stay but, its something 2 or more people could/can do in a cabin... backseat, local motel..etc. I was trying to be vague for the general audience.

We are not beach people but we took the island tour on the jitney truck right at the dock it was $20 usd

we enjoyed the tour of the island

Of course you can go to Virgin Gorda to the Baths if that is something of interest to you

we also enjoyed the walk into the town & shopping there

to each his own

I would certainly get off the ship

Most definitely get off the ship, maybe Dan is a little jaded after 60 plus years doing it all but this is a first for you. I personally love the beaches in Tortola. If you are the only ship in town you can enjoy Cane Garden Bay without the crowds. You can get a cheaper taxi rate if you go past the port stuff and go to the main street. Pick up a deli sandwich before you get the taxi. There are lounges (for a fee of course) at the beach.

Or like LHT (Lyn said) take the jitney and do an island tour just to get the feel. It is NOT as bad as Mr Dan portrays

If you like a quieter beach there is Brewer's Bay, they have a small burger joint and chairs again for a fee. I doubt you will have time to get to Virgin Gorda and back with enough time to enjoy it. I personally do not do Virgin Gorda but the back side called Spring Garden Bay which is the same thing but in reverse, no crowds, no madness.

Just go! Only you can determine the enjoyment you may or may not experience. Enjoy your trip, I wish we were tagging along. Perhaps next winter