Naples to Pompeii via Train or Bus?

joseph123

Based on much appreciated information obtained here for my upcoming but very short day on a cruise stop in Naples (only 7 hrs, 11:00 AM to 6 PM), I have decided to do an excursion to Pompeii and spend some time in Naples on the return vs an excursion to Capri or Sorrento. Now I am trying to determine how best to get to Pompeii via public transport and am considering taking the bus from the port, but I cannot find any trip reports that say how easy or hard it was and it looks a bit complicated from the posts I can find. Can anyone verify if the instructions for the bus that I found below are correct or offer any advice on what would be the best option. Also would need to know if you can buy a ticket on the bus or need to buy in advance, and if so where to buy it.

A good alternative from taking the train to Pompeii is to take the SITA bus. Fare is 2.80 EUR (Mar 2014) one way, there are 1-2 buses every hour and the journey takes 35 min. The SITA station is at Immacolatella Vecchia the next pier to the north from the cruise pier. Schedule for route 5001 (Pompeii Scavi) here (scroll all the way to the bottom) http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/

Take the Circumvusia railway to Pompei Scavi for the ruins.

Trains depart for Sorrento stopping at Pompei Scavi from a separate station downstairs at Napoli Centrale . As you exit Napoli Centrale look for Circumvusia railway sign and steps leading down as you exit station on LEFT .

The SITA buses sound good but they don't run very often. With your limited time you'll need to check times carefully and also factor in Naples' chaotic traffic.

Alternatively, cross the busy road in front of the cruise terminal and buy a 2 journey (tram/train) ticket from the very helpful man in the newspaper kiosk. Take the No 1 tram (not forgetting to validate your ticket on boarding) to Porta Nolana station which is the terminus of the Circumvesuviana line and your best chance of getting a seat. The tram ride takes a few minutes and you get off after it makes a sharp turn left, when the modern Circumvesuviana station is soon visible on your right. The trains to Pompeii Scavi leave about every 30 minutes (destination Sorrento) and with lots of stops take about 40 mins. The station at Pompeii Scavi is near the entrance to the ruins.

Take the bus. The next one after your arrival doesn't depart until noon, arriving to Pompei at 12:45. This gives you plenty of time to walk the short (one-third of a mile) distance to Piazza Immacolatella and purchase your tickets. The bus is a far more comfortable ride, in my opinion, vs. the Circumvesuviana train.

The alternative, the train, won't get you there any faster but it is the way most of your fellow DIYers will head. Let them - while you enjoy a comfortable ride they'll be racing to buy tickets, wait for a tram, running to find the right track at Porta Nolana, all to arrive at the same time you will.

(To be fair, there is a small chance that if you can get off your ship immediately at 11 AM and if the tram shows up exactly when you need it that you might actually make the 11:39 train, which would get you to Pompei about a half hour earlier than the bus, but I think the chances of this are slim in most cases. You can always make this decision on the spot, if you are able to get off the ship right away. If you are at all delayed, take your time and take the bus.)

Bus schedule here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/cac5880e-865f-4a14-af82-8f9612b24f60_5001_2015.pdf/0

Train schedule Naples to Pompei here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/NA-SO%20con%20Poz.pdf

Thank you both for the very detailed bus and train instructions. I must say they both seem a tad intimidating to me. I have been to Europe several times and have had no problem navigating public transport but have never done it in Italy. I am picturing myself running around frantically trying to find either the bus or train and getting there and back. Firstly, I keep reading that people seem to be terrified to cross the road directly in front of the terminal to get to the tram and it seems that the trains can be confusing especially for those who do not speak the language. As far as the bus station which seems easier, when I search for it on Google maps, although very close it just looks like an industrial port area, is there actually a little station there where tickets can be purchased or can they be purchased on the bus? I read somewhere that you need to buy tickets at the same place where ferry tickets are purchased. I might actually explore some organized tours options for this one also, although I am sure they will be quite expensive compared to doing it on ones own.

It really isn't that difficult. Hundreds of cruisers do it every week, some probably with less experience than you of using public transportation.

I have been using the trains in Italy for years before I started learning Italian. For what you are planning, you really only need to know the names of the stations you're looking for in Italian: Porta Nolana (your starting point) and Pompei Scavi (where you get off). Most of the Circumvesuviana trains have route maps so you can follow your progress and see when you are getting close to your stop. (Porta Nolana is the end of the line, so no problem there unless you want to get off at a different -- more central -- stop on your way back.)

Edited by cruisemom42

Yes, you are both probably right, I am sure I am overly obsessing over this. I think at this point I will opt to try the bus and keep the train option as a backup as you have suggested. Hoping I will at least get to squeeze in a bit of Naples on the return. Thanks for all of the excellent advise!

• 3 weeks later...

I have done both the train and the bus and I say Take the bus! (Also the bus is less prone to labor stoppages)

We did bus in March and it was EASY!!! (and Cheap)

It's a very Short walk from the ship to the SITA bus station. [buy a return (round-trip) ticket because finding a shop in Pompeii to buy the return ticket is difficult].

The bus drops off and picks up about 2 blocks from the main entrance (up a very small hill)

Here's the link:

http://www.sitabus.it/how-to-reach-pompeii-travel-guide/

I have done both the train and the bus and I say Take the bus! (Also the bus is less prone to labor stoppages)

We did bus in March and it was EASY!!! (and Cheap)

It's a very Short walk from the ship to the SITA bus station. [buy a return (round-trip) ticket because finding a shop in Pompeii to buy the return ticket is difficult].

The bus drops off and picks up about 2 blocks from the main entrance (up a very small hill)

Here's the link:

http://www.sitabus.it/how-to-reach-pompeii-travel-guide/

Thanks for your recommendation - we are thinking of taking the bus to Pompeii on our port stop in Naples on 7th November. Does the same bus stop at Pompeii serve the return journey as well? I read on another thread that it was different and it might be confusing. Thanks for your help.

Barbara

Thanks for your recommendation - we are thinking of taking the bus to Pompeii on our port stop in Naples on 7th November. Does the same bus stop at Pompeii serve the return journey as well? I read on another thread that it was different and it might be confusing. Thanks for your help.

Barbara

It is the same bus - SITA

You catch the return directly across the street from where you are let off for Pompeii. Very Easy

Make sure you buy your Return (Round Trip) ticket when you board in Naples

It is the same bus - SITA

You catch the return directly across the street from where you are let off for Pompeii. Very Easy

Make sure you buy your Return (Round Trip) ticket when you board in Naples

Thank you - that's exactly what I needed to know :) Heading off very early tomorrow morning and the excitement is building.

I have the timetable for the SITA bus and it's a bit confusing - Pompeii Scavi is listed on the Salerno to Naples section but is missing from the itinerary on the outbound journey from Naples? I think someone mentioned that they don't always list every stop on Italian timetables?

Barbara

Thank you - that's exactly what I needed to know Heading off very early tomorrow morning and the excitement is building.

I have the timetable for the SITA bus and it's a bit confusing - Pompeii Scavi is listed on the Salerno to Naples section but is missing from the itinerary on the outbound journey from Naples? I think someone mentioned that they don't always list every stop on Italian timetables?

Barbara

Good luck! If you could report back after your trip and let me know if you had any issues it would be much appreciated!

I'm not sure what you are looking at, but Pompei is listed in both directions on the timetable, which can be found here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/cac5880e-865f-4a14-af82-8f9612b24f60_5001_2015.pdf/0

The stop is "Pompei", not "Pompei Scavi". That nomenclature is used by Circumvesvuviana to distinguish between their different stops in Pompei (on different lines) and from the Trenitalia train station.

Do note that the bus between Naples and Salerno does not stop at Pompei on every run. (And actually, though it doesn't matter for this discussion, few of the buses actually go all the way from Naples to Salerno, the route is done in sections.)

Based on much appreciated information obtained here for my upcoming but very short day on a cruise stop in Naples (only 7 hrs, 11:00 AM to 6 PM), I have decided to do an excursion to Pompeii and spend some time in Naples on the return vs an excursion to Capri or Sorrento. Now I am trying to determine how best to get to Pompeii via public transport and am considering taking the bus from the port, but I cannot find any trip reports that say how easy or hard it was and it looks a bit complicated from the posts I can find. Can anyone verify if the instructions for the bus that I found below are correct or offer any advice on what would be the best option. Also would need to know if you can buy a ticket on the bus or need to buy in advance, and if so where to buy it.

In your original post, you mention that you would like to visit Capri or Sorrento as well. I think this will be a challenge with the hours you have available at your port stop. Unless you manage to find a tour that includes one or other of these as well as Pompeii. Pompeii is quite a large site to see.

We waited ages for Tram Route 1 near the dock.

You may also need to consider whether it is going to be hot and tiring to see Pompeii. We chose to see Herculaneum when we were there in the middle of June and that was hot and tiring, even though it is a smaller site and closer to Naples.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but Pompei is listed in both directions on the timetable, which can be found here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/cac5880e-865f-4a14-af82-8f9612b24f60_5001_2015.pdf/0

The stop is "Pompei", not "Pompei Scavi". That nomenclature is used by Circumvesvuviana to distinguish between their different stops in Pompei (on different lines) and from the Trenitalia train station.

Pompei Scavi and Pompei are both listed as separate stops 10 minutes apart on the bus timetable you've linked to (which is the one I have) on the Salerno - Napoli section only. Pompei Scavi does not appear on the Napoli - Salerno route, though it definitely stops there, as it did on our journey on the 7th November, approximately 10 minutes from Pompei itself. They are definitely 2 different places.

As it turned out, despite being assured by the driver (who in hindsight just wanted to get rid of us) no bus appeared at the bus stop across the road that he pointed us to at the time scheduled for our return, nor for 45 minutes afterwards, when at least one other bus was due, so we had to get a taxi back to the ship. We could have taken the train, but wanted to avoid the 26 minute walk from station to the port or the hassle of finding a tram/taxi there.

My advice for people is not to rely on the bus back. The bus TO Pompei Scavi from the SIT station was a short walk from the port, on time and cheap (2.80 single) but if you have to get the train back anyway, you might as well do it both ways and figure out the tram connection.

Edited by Blackfish123

I did the train with two kids because I was there when the bus didn't leave until 9:30 am and I arrived at 7am. (We were in Pompeii by 10am or so). We took three hours to tour around then took the train to Sorrento (around 1pm. ) Our ship left at 6pm so we had about two hours to tour Sorrento. We basically had lunch, one of my favorite meals, and saw the coast . With very little time to explore since the ferry left at 3:30 we had to catch the train back around four. We arrived with minutes to spare at the Sorrento station so had we missed that train we knew an expensive cab ride would be our only option. There is a tram or you can walk to the train.

We were hours ahead of you so on the shorter time table you were right to cut out the other places. Have fun it is easier then it sounds.