Vancouver star princess now

Coquitlam Cruiser

Nobody ever called South Texas as being in a temperate climate, but flu shots were available here starting in late August.

I have no idea why they would only be available later where you live.

I worked in a hospital for a number of years here in the SF bay area. Flu shots came out for us in October and as employees, we could get them in late September. If we chose not to receive one (and there are medical reasons as to why some people could not receive a flu vaccine), we are required to wear a mask at all times within the walls of the patient care service areas. This is the health dept's requirement - not the hospital's. This is also from October forward -- just haven't heard that these vaccines available as early as August. Although, I don't doubt what you say....just noting that they are not available here that early in the season, either.

As a matter of fact, Medicare reviews charts for core measures, which affects hospital's reimbursement. They only require the patients be screened for the influenza vaccine from October - March in a hospital setting.

Just of note, the annual flu vaccine is usually made up of 3-5 strains of the flu that they think are going to be most prevalent for the said year. So, it is possible that they can miss the mark and you will not be protected at all if you pick up any other strain even after getting the flu shot. It is a guess...albeit an educated guess. Most of the time, they are right ...sometimes they are wrong. I remember one year, having to go back to employee health and getting a second flu shot after they realized the vaccine they developed didn't cover a particularly nasty strain that was going around. Washing your hands is probably the best way to avoid it....but many good ideas listed here as well.

Nobody ever called South Texas as being in a temperate climate, but flu shots were available here starting in late August.

I have no idea why they would only be available later where you live.

As I understand it, our peak flu season is in February, so my physician recommends that I get the shot in late October to allow the coverage to be effective for the duration. Just what I've heard.

Flu virus is airborne transmitted, so the only defense on board (and on excursions) is not to breathe where someone with the flu has exhaled. Tough to do.

Understood, and of course covering one's mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing- with a sleeve, not a hand- is always a good practice not to spread airborne viruses. My point (and the point of the other poster) was about hand sanitizer doing absolutely nothing to kill viruses. People use it as a "magic bullet" on occasion, and don't do the other stuff to prevent viruses from spreading.

Edited by amarantha7
Added last swntence for clarification

Understood, and of course covering one's mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing- with a sleeve, not a hand- is always a good practice not to spread airborne viruses. My point (and the point of the other poster) was about hand sanitizer doing absolutely nothing to kill viruses. People use it as a "magic bullet" on occasion, and don't do the other stuff to prevent viruses from spreading.

While the readily available hand sanitizers are antimicrobial in nature, it is effective against some viruses... but definitely not against the norovirus, which is unique, as it is an enveloped virus (my not smarts....my sister is microbiologist). The hand sanitizer is also not effective against C-diff, which is also very contagious and causes very horrible diarrhea up to death when antibiotics are also introduced, wiping out all the natural bacterial flora in your gut. Many people are colonized with it without even knowing -- so you can see how easily this could be spread during an outbreak of norovirus. I suppose this is why the captain pleaded for us not to use public bathrooms during a norovirus outbreak. Washing your hands is still the best prevention ... period!!

We knew our neighbours across the street were on a Hawaiian cruise what we didn't learn until late this week is that they were on the sick Star. Unfortunately she came off the ship in Vancouver very ill in a wheelchair saying at age 78 she had taken her last cruise. This week she has been diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs and we are quite concerned about her.

We knew our neighbours across the street were on a Hawaiian cruise what we didn't learn until late this week is that they were on the sick Star. Unfortunately she came off the ship in Vancouver very ill in a wheelchair saying at age 78 she had taken her last cruise. This week she has been diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs and we are quite concerned about her.

Oh no! My thoughts of well wishes are with her...so sad! Hope she recovers fully. :(

While the readily available hand sanitizers are antimicrobial in nature, it is effective against some viruses... but definitely not against the norovirus, which is unique, as it is an enveloped virus (my not smarts....my sister is microbiologist). The hand sanitizer is also not effective against C-diff, which is also very contagious and causes very horrible diarrhea up to death when antibiotics are also introduced, wiping out all the natural bacterial flora in your gut. Many people are colonized with it without even knowing -- so you can see how easily this could be spread during an outbreak of norovirus. I suppose this is why the captain pleaded for us not to use public bathrooms during a norovirus outbreak. Washing your hands is still the best prevention ... period!!

Very inaccurate - you misheard your sis or she is a terrible microbiologist! Noro is a NON-enveloped virus; that's why alcohol isn't very effective against it - alcohol is excellent at breaking through the lipid envelope of an enveloped virus so it works just fine at killing influenza and many other viruses. Nor is Noro the only non-enveloped virus, there are plenty of others.

While regular 62% ethanol sanitizers have minimal impact on Noro, there are hand sanitizers which combine alcohol with e.g. Benzalkonium Chloride, or are simply higher % alcohol, which are effective against Noro and other non-enveloped viruses. I can't personally confirm which brand/type of sanitizers are deployed on cruise ships but frankly it would be really, really silly not to use the ones that actually work on Noro given the extra work for crew, paperwork to CDC etc. etc. if cases exceed thresholds.

Proper hand-washing with soap and water - the vast majority of people are terrible at washing their hands, and if you wear rings you are basically screwed in an outbreak unless you take them off - and good discipline about not touching your face are still the strongest tools available, but in combination with sanitizers even better.

As to C. diff - many people in the absolute sense are infected, but less than 5% of most populations. Unless you're on antibiotics, which you're not going to be given for Noro, if you have it your own bacteria are keeping it in check just fine already. The captain asked you not to use shared bathrooms to stop you catching Noro, it's as simple as that (most folks are contagious before they know they are sick, and using the stall after someone with it but before it gets bleached is a possible way to be exposed, especially with unlidded toilets the norm these days in public restrooms).

I think I posted earlier in this thread that I was on the sick ship too. I was just released from hospital after being there since last Tuesday with pneumonia in my right lung. We had another cruise booked for the beginning of November but decided to cancel because of all the medication changes that have taken place this week for me and would effect my travel insurance.

I was on the Star cruise to Hawaii. I spoke to one of the Medics in the elevator and he said that the biggest problem is "seasoned" passengers who lie on the medical form and get on board already sick. They lie because they know that they will be confined to their cabin until they are deemed not to be contagious.

On the first morning we were at breakfast in the dinning room and a man at the next table vomited right at the table. I had noticed his behaviour prior and I wondered why he didn't get up and go to a bathroom. I guess that he was one of the problem people that the Medic mentioned.

Right, its only the seasoned passengers that lie?

How ludicrous.

My sister and her two friends just got off this cruise. On day two, one of them approached management and suggested more sanitizer stations as she had noticed so many people sick, coughing ect. The reply was "its not our policy".. well, my sister and one of her friends ended up in there room for 7 days of the last 8 cruise days sick and i will spare you the details..... There were 28 people taken off the ship at the port in hawaii.... that is a lot of ambulances and sick passengers..... I feel so bad for all who got ill, and missed beautiful ports and excursions.... my sister finally is home and hope she is better soon...

Sanitizer.......a false sense of security and not a substitute for thorough hand washing.

Princess has been doing this for a long time, I trust their decisions in onboard policy.

I think I posted earlier in this thread that I was on the sick ship too. I was just released from hospital after being there since last Tuesday with pneumonia in my right lung. We had another cruise booked for the beginning of November but decided to cancel because of all the medication changes that have taken place this week for me and would effect my travel insurance.

That is really a shame. I haven't got an update on our neighbour since Saturday but I was very surprised that at her age and with pneumonia in both lungs she wasn't kept in the hospital....but then what do I know. Hope you are felling well soon.

Very inaccurate - you misheard your sis or she is a terrible microbiologist! Noro is a NON-enveloped virus; that's why alcohol isn't very effective against it - alcohol is excellent at breaking through the lipid envelope of an enveloped virus so it works just fine at killing influenza and many other viruses. Nor is Noro the only non-enveloped virus, there are plenty of others.

While regular 62% ethanol sanitizers have minimal impact on Noro, there are hand sanitizers which combine alcohol with e.g. Benzalkonium Chloride, or are simply higher % alcohol, which are effective against Noro and other non-enveloped viruses. I can't personally confirm which brand/type of sanitizers are deployed on cruise ships but frankly it would be really, really silly not to use the ones that actually work on Noro given the extra work for crew, paperwork to CDC etc. etc. if cases exceed thresholds.

Proper hand-washing with soap and water - the vast majority of people are terrible at washing their hands, and if you wear rings you are basically screwed in an outbreak unless you take them off - and good discipline about not touching your face are still the strongest tools available, but in combination with sanitizers even better.

As to C. diff - many people in the absolute sense are infected, but less than 5% of most populations. Unless you're on antibiotics, which you're not going to be given for Noro, if you have it your own bacteria are keeping it in check just fine already. The captain asked you not to use shared bathrooms to stop you catching Noro, it's as simple as that (most folks are contagious before they know they are sick, and using the stall after someone with it but before it gets bleached is a possible way to be exposed, especially with unlidded toilets the norm these days in public restrooms).

I misquoted her...and you are correct. My deepest apologies!!!!

I completely agree that the captain was concerned about the spread of Noro -- it is just that there are other organisms spread through those infected / colonized with other organisms as well. I don't doubt for a minute that C.diff isn't the first thing on their minds when cautioning others to wash your hands during a norovirus outbreak. I certainly did not mean to insinuate otherwise. Antibiotics wouldn't be prescribed to someone with norovirus by a reputable healthcare professional....but antibiotics are widely prescribed or even taken for other reasons, sometimes in error .... both on or after you are off the ship. Just making note that hand hygiene is oh so important!

No worries - and thanks for the apology! We live & learn - I was of the same opinion re: sanitizer being useless for Noro until someone on the boards mentioned the advanced formulations. As to other possible contagions - ghastly stuff is everywhere, but generally cruise ships are among the safest places to be with all the bleaching they do... it's hospitals you need to worry about statistically-speaking!

No worries - and thanks for the apology! We live & learn - I was of the same opinion re: sanitizer being useless for Noro until someone on the boards mentioned the advanced formulations. As to other possible contagions - ghastly stuff is everywhere, but generally cruise ships are among the safest places to be with all the bleaching they do... it's hospitals you need to worry about statistically-speaking!

How right you are!! Hospitals and nursing homes, even schools have a higher incidence of transmission of all sorts of nasty bugs.

Even though they do have advanced formulas in hospitals and sometimes on cruise ships (sometimes I have seen the regular old purell on ships), the readily available ones from the drug store are oftentimes ineffective against certain organisms.

We've found that we get sick less often on cruise ships than other places! Cruiseships may be susceptible when people unknowingly bring these germs on from their air travel -- but airlines don't seem to get the credit for this as by the time the symptoms show, you are already onboard. Just read an article that reminds me to take my Lysol wipes on every plane trip I take. This might be a placebo but hopefully am doing myself some good by using them.

Cruiseships may be susceptible when people unknowingly bring these germs on from their air travel -- but airlines don't seem to get the credit for this as by the time the symptoms show, you are already onboard. Just read an article that reminds me to take my Lysol wipes on every plane trip I take. This might be a placebo but hopefully am doing myself some good by using them.

I was getting ready to mention that. If you're flying in, prevention should start on the plane instead of the ship. Airplane seating areas are incredibly filthy. Get out your Lysol wipes and scrub everything down - tray table front and back, armrests, seat belt buckles, anything you can that you're going to touch. And don't use the seat back pockets. You have no way of knowing what might be lurking in there. Oh my. I sure sound crazy, don't I? :D

[quote name='Sea Hag']I was getting ready to mention that. If you're flying in, prevention should start on the plane instead of the ship. Airplane seating areas are incredibly filthy. Get out your Lysol wipes and scrub everything down - tray table front and back, armrests, seat belt buckles, anything you can that you're going to touch. And don't use the seat back pockets. You have no way of knowing what might be lurking in there. Oh my. I sure sound crazy, don't I? :D[/QUOTE]

Not crazy at all!! That article about the filthiest / germiest (made that word up) places on the plane notes the tray tables and seat back pockets as well as the fabric on the seat belt (more so than the buckle) over surfaces in the bathroom. Dirty diapers are changed right there on the tray tables and then stuffed into the seat back pocket. YUK and double YUK!!
We always try to sail out of SF so we just don't have to deal with any of it! Thank goodness Princess has several options from SF now.

[quote name='Sea Hag']I was getting ready to mention that. If you're flying in, prevention should start on the plane instead of the ship. Airplane seating areas are incredibly filthy. Get out your Lysol wipes and scrub everything down - tray table front and back, armrests, seat belt buckles, anything you can that you're going to touch. And don't use the seat back pockets. You have no way of knowing what might be lurking in there. Oh my. I sure sound crazy, don't I? :D[/QUOTE]

Not at all! DH knows that he should take his seat on the plane without touching anything until I get done with my Lysol wipes on everything in sight.