Celebrity Equinox Sept. 7 cruise review with photos - hopefully!!

MsB1254

We were three couples travelling together from Virginia for this 12 night cruise on the Equinox. This review will primarily be about the ports since the cruise was really port intensive and we had sailed on the Equinox previously. We flew from Dulles International to Barcelona on Air France. We had booked the flights with premium economy seats but were able at check to upgrade to business class which was wonderful

IMG_8282_zpss042yhaz.jpg

IMG_8284_zpslhm9gwir.jpg

On the return flight we had the original premium economy seats which were also much better than the regular economy. I'm not sure I would fly to Europe again and not book business class. We are all in our sixties and for me it's all about the comfort. Four of us flew in on the Air France flight and other couple a different airline. When we arrived not one of the six of us received any luggage. We eventually all received them at varying intervals over the next two days. The final bag had to be picked up at the airport the morning the ship departed.

We chose to stay the two nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Curious and we all loved this hotel. Two of us booked the twin double rooms and they were fine. The economy double was very small and I would recommend the upgrade. The hotel staff was warm, welcoming and very helpful especially with trying to locate the lost luggage with the airport and delivery service. The location was perfect - just a side street off the Las Ramblas

view of hotel

IMG_2344_zpsh2vt9nac.jpg

hotel lobby

IMG_2340_zps6ku3xiz0.jpg

Las Ramblas

IMG_2368_zpsv99j8bda.jpg

view of street from our room

IMG_2395_zpsm4lxxm0d.jpg

We decided to use Barcelona Day Tours for a half day shared tour. There were sixteen people on our city tour and we loved our guide Aida. We viewed the outside of the La Sagrada Familia designed by Antoni Gaudi.

IMG_2070%20-%20Copy_zpsrxtjvljo.jpg

IMG_2095%20-%20Copy_zpsfm5fqlqf.jpg

IMG_2074%20-%20Copy_zpsok7czln1.jpg

our guide Aida

IMG_2077%20-%20Copy_zpsnyvn983x.jpg

We were asked to delay boarding until 2:30 p.m. due to an outbreak of illness on the previous sailing. We arrived close to 2:30 and dropped off our luggage.

We had to wait for a few minutes for the other couples to arrive by taxi from the hotel and then into the building for check in. We are select with Celebrity so went to the priority check in with a short line and then straight on to the ship. One of the easiest embarkation processes I have ever experienced.

IMG_8383_zpsb8y9mbe8.jpg

IMG_8381_zpsfxyvvucu.jpg

We all had balcony cabins on deck seven. The rooms were not ready until about 5:00 p.m.

That's very nice to hear as I'm certainly not a very good writer and it is fairly time consuming. We did love the trip and I wanted to acknowledge all the great tour operators we used in the various cities. More to follow . . . .

Lovely pics! Keep them coming please - excited to be bringing EQ back across the pond in three weeks time. We did NCL Epic ex Barcelona last October - loved that too - totally different of course - hoping the weather will be as good for us as last year's crossing was.

Is Equinox in good shape? Looking forward to your review - thanks for taking the time!

Already enjoying your review!....was it expensive to upgrade at check in for the flight?.....trying to decide what and when to book...

It was only $236 per person to upgrade and all four of us were given the option when we checked in. It's a gamble though because we all tried on the return flight even at the airport and business class was completely sold out.

Lovely pics! Keep them coming please - excited to be bringing EQ back across the pond in three weeks time. We did NCL Epic ex Barcelona last October - loved that too - totally different of course - hoping the weather will be as good for us as last year's crossing was.

Is Equinox in good shape? Looking forward to your review - thanks for taking the time!

I think she is really in excellent shape. We had sailed on her previously and I really couldn't see any difference. Enjoy your cruise back across. I am not sure I would like all the sea days but might try it one year.

Great review so far....excellent photography....look forward to more,

Let us know if the deep cleaning was successful...thanks

None of the six of us got sick and we did not see or hear about any others who were sick so for us at least it was very successful. Or course we washed our hands often.

We used a private tour for the six of us. Our guide for the day was Catherine D'Antuono. She owns Tour Designer in Provence and I found her here on Cruise Critic and also on Trip Advisor under Aix-en-Provence. She was waiting for us at the dock and her tour was truly outstanding with her warm personality and extensive knowledge of her region and country.

ship docking in port

IMG_2412_zpsxtu0rlkw.jpg

me taking photos as usual

IMG_8397_zpszbmyieg4.jpg

the beautiful provencial countryside

IMG_8455_zpscjzmjh6e.jpg

Catherine demonstrating how narrow the streets can be

IMG_5780_zpshlngsfhj.jpg

our group having a great time with Catherine

IMG_2485_zpstr4zhcjq.jpg

It was a pleasure driving here with Catherine in her very comfortable Mercedes van.

The weather was absolutely perfect - low 70's with a slight breeze blowing

IMG_2598_zpssh7gfe1n.jpg

other photos of Cassis

IMG_2627_zps0wj4pswq.jpg

IMG_2620_zpsycuxr2ob.jpg

IMG_2610_zpsqx29kc3z.jpg

Wayne & Lynne

IMG_2607_zpsthvqmoyf.jpg

our group

IMG_2659_zpssvomehln.jpg

I have to apologize here - we had a wonderful lunch of French bread with goat cheese, figs and drizzled with honey & Balsamic vinegar and we do not remember the name of the cafe. Usually I take a photo of each place we eat but for some reason did not.

Really - the best bite for me of the entire trip.

IMG_2638_zpshcuxvs2w.jpg

other photos of Cassis & Aix in Provence

IMG_2640_zpsdbc5knnx.jpg

IMG_2423_zpswnfjfdjn.jpg

IMG_2470_zpsicxteopb.jpg

IMG_2427_zpsgqesbxny.jpg

Today we did another full day private tour. This time our guide was Ingrid of Kultours and we could not have been happier with our choice. After meeting her at the dock, we drove to the little village of Eze and arrived before the large tour buses got there so I think it was much nicer to experience without the crowds

Ingrid stopping for a coffee!

IMG_2760_zpszxjilhsx.jpg

one of the narrow streets

IMG_2712_zpsgoaxptgf.jpg

Wayne & Ingrid in Eze

IMG_2711_zpsi5gihmua.jpg

Our group at a scenic view of Nice

IMG_2932_zps8c7yobkx.jpg

we could see smoke from a fire in the distance

IMG_2931_zpsyhpoujhx.jpg