Purchasing Travel Insurance

travelady65

I am going on a cruise next month November 23, 2015...... I did not purchase the travel insurance from the cruise line....looking to purchase travel insurance from insuretogo....has anyone ever used them before... they are offering 3 different plans.... one plan is $108... second plan is $123...and the most popular plan is $136.... also being as my cruise is next month...when would be the latest i can purchase travel insurance for my trip...

The insurance seems reasonable and affordable.... any other suggestions on travel insurance companies that other people have used?

I am going on a cruise next month November 23, 2015...... I did not purchase the travel insurance from the cruise line....looking to purchase travel insurance from insuretogo....has anyone ever used them before... they are offering 3 different plans.... one plan is $108... second plan is $123...and the most popular plan is $136.... also being as my cruise is next month...when would be the latest i can purchase travel insurance for my trip...

The insurance seems reasonable and affordable.... any other suggestions on travel insurance companies that other people have used?

I've always gone to www.insuremytrip.com to buy my coverage. The rule of thumb that I've read is that your insurance should cost no more than 10% of your insured costs unless you have unusual circumstances. I would look at the specific coverage offered and decide which plan fit my needs best. It is my understanding that you may purchase insurance at anytime before the trip (check with the particular insurer on this question) but pre-existing conditions will not be covered nor will known hazards (such as a named storm that impacts your trip).

I went through USAA and got pricing about 60% of what NCL quoted me with much higher limits. Have to be a member though, but it may make sense to shop around.

Pj

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

An excellent place for more information about travel insurance is the CruiseCritic subforum on it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

We always use TheTripInsuranceStore.com

to help us find the best policy for the needs of each trip.

CALL them.

If you read the summaries on their website, that's great, but there is SO much in terms of "fine print" that you would want to discuss your specifics with them.

We've purchased policies from them AND had a large claim.

It was paid without any nonsense.

They choose the insurers they work with, and don't include those they feel will have problems with actual claims... which is exactly when it matters!

GeezerCouple

For my next cruise I purchased cruise insurance through Nationwide. Their policies provide coverage specific to cruises, and the limits were very high for things like medevac and sickness. The premium seemed very comparable to others like RoamRight.

The important part of trip insurance, at least to me, is the medical coverage (medical, dental, medical evacuation and repatriation of remains).

Many US based medical insurance policies do not cover you while on the "high seas" (some will have coverage in specific countries). Medicare does not provide any coverage out of the US. The Australian national medical insurance also does not cover you while on a cruise.

A typical bill for medical evacuation starts at about $10,000, and even repatriation of remains will cost about that much. Medical bills in even "cheap" countries can be thousands of dollars. Lifeflight service can be $50,000 or more. (If you are close to the US, the Coast Guard does fly you back to shore without a bill to you, as it is part of their budget we pay in our taxes).

I pay more attention to the medical coverage than I do trip cancellation, etc., as I can afford to lose the $5,000 - $6,000 a typical vacation costs in the rare event something happens. But avoiding dipping into savings to pay a $50,000 Lifeflight from Honduras is worth the cost of travel insurance.

• 1 month later...

Hi

My Father is a resident of Puerto Rico I was having a hard time getting coverage for him for an upcoming trip. I found the trip insurance store, they cover Puerto Rico, but was hesitant. Do you recommend them??

An excellent place for more information about travel insurance is the CruiseCritic subforum on it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

We always use TheTripInsuranceStore.com

to help us find the best policy for the needs of each trip.

CALL them.

If you read the summaries on their website, that's great, but there is SO much in terms of "fine print" that you would want to discuss your specifics with them.

We've purchased policies from them AND had a large claim.

It was paid without any nonsense.

They choose the insurers they work with, and don't include those they feel will have problems with actual claims... which is exactly when it matters!

GeezerCouple

I agree! I switched a few years ago after having a claim denied on a policy I purchased from Insuremytrip.com. I now know how important it is to "talk over the specifics" before purchasing the policy. TheTripInsuranceStore has really helped me. They even went to battle for me with an insurance company and I won! They have won me as a customer for life! Kim