Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

Norris, I must be slipping! I forgot to come look for this review, so I'm just now getting here! Obviously, I have whole lot of catching up to do, but it is late so I will have to start tomorrow. I have this review bookmarked, and I can't wait to hear about your and Carol's adventures. :D

Norris, I must be slipping! I forgot to come look for this review, so I'm just now getting here! Obviously, I have whole lot of catching up to do, but it is late so I will have to start tomorrow. I have this review bookmarked, and I can't wait to hear about your and Carol's adventures. :D

Nancy, I wondered if you had lost your CC membership card...

Never too late to catch-up.

Welcome aboard!

Norris

We're walking getting our first looks at Monterosso close-up

There was a fountain....

...one of those new waterless fountains? I think some folks were mistaking it for a wastebasket

22639999832_88a0159855_b.jpg

22653535685_d47dbab63c_b.jpg

Our guide pointed to a restaurant down this street where she had reserved tables

22653609285_547d609972_b.jpg

La Cambusa on the right. Oh look! They have outdoor seating!

Hi, Willow glad to see you following along!

The pattern for my early rising has been with me since my first cruise on the Coral and those scenic Alaskan ports. Great time for photos when others are in bed.

I always find my go-to waiter on day 1 and from then on just raise an eyebrow or empty glass. I look for one with personality so we can banter.

On the Emerald day 1 I bought my white wine at lunch in the MDR and my red at dinner in the CG. You just have to remember where it is so they can find it again. They write your folio number from your card on it.

The blurry bus photos are better than none and give you some idea of what's on the way to your destination. Glad you appreciate them!

Where are you going on your first cruise and on what ship?

Thanks again,

Norris

Well Norris. My husband decided that he didn't want a 50th birthday party and wanted to have a family holiday. SO my daughters, 20 & 18 and I decided that we should go on a cruise. BUT, we let him pick the destination :) And as we live in outback Western Australia (Kalgoorlie if you want to google the place), we decided to cruise out of Sydney, with Explorer of the Seas, Royal Caribbean. They were leaving on the right date and as it is our first cruise we didn't have strong opinions on certain ships (as much doesn't happen on RCI forum I am looking out other forums to get my ideas and fix and that's how I found your great review YAY!!). SO we are on a 14 day cruise around New Zealand. We have always had plans to holiday there but we tend to visit relatives in Melbourne, Victoria every few years and then camping/caravaning the other times and we still haven't seen half of Western Australia let alone the rest of Australia.

We sat down at a table outdoors at La Cambusa

22664803401_71b4b476a2_b.jpg[/url]

We got right back up again when a waitress came out to tell us all the tables were reserved. I told her we were with Andreani and she summoned a young waiter to show us to her tables. Back we went through a couple of dining rooms.

We were seated in a small cosy room and given menus.

To drink? Carol ordered her usual Tonic water (Tonica) with lime, while I ordered a beer.

The words stuffed anchovies leapt off the page so I ordered acciughe ripiene. Stuffed with spinach and Parmesan and fried the waiter said. I said "bring it!"

22032391813_047235bca6_b.jpg

Crispy little flavor bombs which I gobble up, tail and all. With food hitting the table and the thirst-quenching properties of the beer doing their job this had just become the highlight of my day.

This was Carol's first course and her notes don't identify it. I'm going to guess that it might have been some cod and there's obviously red onion there too.

More to follow

Next to us were two French ladies and I found myself listening to them talking as that language sounds like Music to me. It was one of the classes I enjoyed in high school but not one I get to use much in Chicago. We have only been in France once on our European driving tours (in Alsace) but I loved every moment.

Tomorrow though-our last full day-the ship would be in Cannes!! We had a tour lined up for St Paul de Vence, a old walled town oozing Gallic charm. I definitely saw us sitting at a sidewalk cafe people-watching on that one!

As we were in a seaside town with little fishing boats pulled up on shore I wanted to have fish for my entree and I found my favorite on the menu-Branzino or Sea Bass. The waiter had already removed the tail when I halted him for a photo.The head would come next.

22465616630_9e63256c75_b.jpg

He deboned it with skill before I dived in. OMG! So fresh. Heaven on a plate.

For Carol-Linguine with pesto

22640027882_375e581f21_b.jpg

I just found the word Bacala in Carol's notes...salt cod, red onion, capers and chili flakes Google tells me so that was the unidentified dish earlier.

As I don't see any dessert photos I'll assume we didn't have any...

Well Norris. My husband decided that he didn't want a 50th birthday party and wanted to have a family holiday. SO my daughters, 20 & 18 and I decided that we should go on a cruise. BUT, we let him pick the destination :) And as we live in outback Western Australia (Kalgoorlie if you want to google the place), we decided to cruise out of Sydney, with Explorer of the Seas, Royal Caribbean. They were leaving on the right date and as it is our first cruise we didn't have strong opinions on certain ships (as much doesn't happen on RCI forum I am looking out other forums to get my ideas and fix and that's how I found your great review YAY!!). SO we are on a 14 day cruise around New Zealand. We have always had plans to holiday there but we tend to visit relatives in Melbourne, Victoria every few years and then camping/caravaning the other times and we still haven't seen half of Western Australia let alone the rest of Australia.

Willow, thanks for the response.

The itinerary sounds great. The cruises around NZ are just a bit too long for us but we have looked at a 7 day from Sydney to Perth where Carol has many relatives.

There should be some photo reviews of Explorer on CC. I know I read one where the couple had already sailed her more than 6 times...

You will get hooked!!

Norris

Monterosso wasn't a guided tour:it was basically the lunch stop with some free time at the place to catch the train to the bus waiting in Levanto.

We had about 40 mins to just mosey around. Carol found a church...

22627568336_ec3bf56cf0_b.jpg[/url]

22032436323_438eb32f25_b.jpg

22465656580_04f2d1a7de_b.jpg

22030823934_a46b578d61_b.jpg

22032527083_cef7817e34_b.jpg

22627663126_76fe59d0bb_b.jpg

Only up to page 24, but your pictures of Florence captured all the the things I took photos of too, we must have the same eye for detail!. It is the most beautiful city I have ever been to and we would like to return to that area for longer. I was astounded at how everything is so beautifully designed and thought has gone into even the most simple of buildings in terms of architecture and decoration. I could look at Duomo all day.

I completely fell in love with Tuscany and the Riviera (Livorno and Genoa ports). I could quite happily live there. Portofino is something special too.

While Carol remained in the church I found a bench and sat in a small square watching the world go by. There were some cars here, unlike Manarola-taxis bringing people and their luggage from the train station. Some couples just arriving chose to walk and pull their luggage behind them.

There was a mark on the wall behind the bench I was enjoying, showing the height of the last floodwaters in 2011. They were about 8 feet off the ground where I was sitting. There were mudslides at that time too that destroyed part of the cliff walkway that runs above the villages.

I scored 3 fridge magnets in a little shop next to the restaurant. We like the moulded 3D ones rather than the flat photo ones. 3 for 10 E vs 4E each. Score!

22465668810_588c6efa22_b.jpg

A brief video clip

[YOUTUBE]Ub2vFrF-GOM[/YOUTUBE]

After this we'll muster our group in a tunnel as it starts to softly drizzle. Then we walk to the train station...

Norris

Only up to page 24, but your pictures of Florence captured all the the things I took photos of too, we must have the same eye for detail!. It is the most beautiful city I have ever been to and we would like to return to that area for longer. I was astounded at how everything is so beautifully designed and thought has gone into even the most simple of buildings in terms of architecture and decoration. I could look at Duomo all day.

I completely fell in love with Tuscany and the Riviera (Livorno and Genoa ports). I could quite happily live there. Portofino is something special too.

Portofino- we have a reason to go back!

We have already agreed that we would do this itinerary again and next time get to see the things we missed as we couldn't be in two places at once.

Carol would like to do the Uffizi without a guide setting the tempo.

Speaking of eyes for detail there's a photo I didn't put up at the time I wrote the Florence part. I had to get down on my hands and knees on a crowded street to change the lens for this one.

22685795621_a6dd2d44b2_b.jpg

Thanks for the response.

Norris

We had a specific time and place to meet our guide so near that time we switched on our headsets and went to meet our group. Of course there were a couple of people who treat time elastically so the guide had to call for them via the radio and they eventually sauntered up smiling, ten minutes late-and we had a train to catch.

So, in a line on the narrow streets we set off. My guess is a half mile walk with some stairs involved. The walk took us along the sea front, which was a bonus.

22030848614_3035472457_b.jpg[/url]

22664820391_80bf523e8d_b.jpg

22032478433_190c068ce4_b.jpg

22653646535_1ec0239151_b.jpg

22653651705_42758e972c_b.jpg

22664854671_17ee5c45cc_b.jpg

ATTENTION COFFEE LOVERS!

As you may be aware I like a cup of coffee while I write in the morning (and the smell of Napalm-but that goes without saying)

Here's what I am drinking today........

22488191140_0baf46ee8b_b.jpg

Carol ordered it online from a retailer whose name is a big river in S.America.

Not a cheap cup- $15 for an 8.8 oz can plus $5 shipping, but it's good to see them exporting. It's a smooth rounded mild blend.

Just FYI. Title should read THIS JUST IN! Doh!!!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling

As always I'll take some shots out of the bus window as we ride. I won't be identifying the towns. The guide is quiet along the way as is normal after the excursion. You'll see spots of light rain on the windows.

22054476554_776f5ddf85_b.jpg

22489297670_934bc28a55_b.jpg

Norris, thanks for getting my day off to a wonderful start viewing your pictures of Monterosso. What great memories! I have scrolled back to your picture of Positano a few times just to relive that little town as well. I know exactly where you were having lunch when you snapped that photo. As for Bellagio, you MUST go. It was also a highlight of our Italy trip and will be well worth a visit. In fact, I can't wait to see your photos when you do go as it is a very mystical, magical area to photograph. Looking forward to your Barcelona review and pics. Thanks again.

Norris, thanks for getting my day off to a wonderful start viewing your pictures of Monterosso. What great memories! I have scrolled back to your picture of Positano a few times just to relive that little town as well. I know exactly where you were having lunch when you snapped that photo. As for Bellagio, you MUST go. It was also a highlight of our Italy trip and will be well worth a visit. In fact, I can't wait to see your photos when you do go as it is a very mystical, magical area to photograph. Looking forward to your Barcelona review and pics. Thanks again.

Diane, I'm glad you are enjoying the photos.

Bellagio- yes on the wish list.

So much to see and the clock is ticking. We may have to do with Italy what we did with Germany-many repeat trips, car rental. New town every couple of days.

I heard Carol practicing her Italian this morning...striking while the iron is still hot.

Norris

It's Thursday afternoon around 4.30 and we're driving around Genoa, near the port area in a soft drizzle. The last day when we saw the sun was Monday when we were in Salerno and exploring the ruins of Herculaneum. Bummer, especially for our sea day. It is what it is.

Once our bus ride is actually over we'll get back on the ship. Another Formal Night, Dinner and a Show=the usual evening after sail away. Nothing wrong with that schedule, it's just endless hours of pleasure at the hands of the Consumate Hosts.

Here's what I saw randomly through the bus window....

22694767001_cacb0796fa_b.jpg[/url]

22670040222_6d0e3daf0f_b.jpg

22694792101_2803a49ef9_b.jpg

22694800311_00780ee107_b.jpg

Norris, I guess I missed your earlier comments about Bellagio. This is really a must visit city! Very small, quaint, beautiful sites, friendly people, great restaurants with yummy food. We have been there twice and will likely go back again. We love the Hotel Florence with a room that looks over the lake! Very charming hotel and in the center of the city (more like a village than a city). Hope you can see it in the future! I'm sure your photos would be terrific!

Diana

Norris, I guess I missed your earlier comments about Bellagio. This is really a must visit city! Very small, quaint, beautiful sites, friendly people, great restaurants with yummy food. We have been there twice and will likely go back again. We love the Hotel Florence with a room that looks over the lake! Very charming hotel and in the center of the city (more like a village than a city). Hope you can see it in the future! I'm sure your photos would be terrific!

Diana

Thanks Diana, I'll look at Hotel Florence for future reference. We always like a water view!

Which city do you fly into when you've gone?

Norris