Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

First course was a vegetable lasagne. Piping hot and tasty!

Followed by braised beef, roast potatoes and spinach

It had been 8 hours since we ate (at 6 a.m) and none of this was going back to the kitchen! Dishwasher not needed.

Dessert was Tiramisu followed by espresso

The most important item on the table though and the one I had the major share of, after offering it around, was this....

21883067593_a06895241d_b.jpg

While the table talked I excused myself and went outside to experience Nirvana-that cigarette after a good meal.

I do have an Uffizi exterior photograph to show you but I took it from inside. You can see the tower of scaffolding on the right hand side and a tower crane at the end of the street.

WARNING!!

I took many fewer photos in the Uffizi than is my norm so we'll be in and out in a jiffy. A couple of reasons; the crowds in small rooms, a sea of heads and cameras and add to that the fact that a lot of the art wasn't to my personal taste. Also there was not ONE Thomas Kincade cottage with the cosy glow nor any of Bob Ross' "happy little clouds"

To cap it all I left 10 minutes prior to the end of our tour. I told Monica. I wanted to get outside and relax.

Anyway we are in the door and we're walking. Don't forget to look up!

22333478280_1e3c83bb9e_b.jpg

22521422995_1bcc36896f_b.jpg

The first room we visited had the kind of art that leaves me cold-Byzantine where everything looks flat and stylized. I don't even like Medieval music with those lutes and recorders and penny whistles and idiot jesters in hats with bells on. That was even a job? Even if I had had too much Guinness (a contradiction in terms) you'd never hear me sing a song with the words "With a hey nonny no" in it.

22521427305_7b92b7a611_b.jpg

22333747038_9e0f5c0d9a_b.jpg

22521441045_2c0b55fb70_b.jpg

I tip my hat to Giotto, the Italian master (born 1266) who got away from the Byzantine style to painting 3 dimensional people.

Still following along and enjoying every minute of your travels. We did a 3 week road trip in Italy a couple of months ago so I am reliving and savoring the moments we spent there. We considered a day trip to Florence while we were staying in Lucca but as it turned out we found Lucca so charming we spent our entire three days there. After seeing your pictures I realize we need to get back to see Florence.

Anxiously awaiting Cinque Terre as we spent three days in Monterosso and traveled to the other towns by day. Can't wait to see your pictures. And we will be in Barcelona for an over night on the Azamara Quest in May so that will be exciting to see.

Carry on, Norris.

Still following along and enjoying every minute of your travels. We did a 3 week road trip in Italy a couple of months ago so I am reliving and savoring the moments we spent there. We considered a day trip to Florence while we were staying in Lucca but as it turned out we found Lucca so charming we spent our entire three days there. After seeing your pictures I realize we need to get back to see Florence.

Anxiously awaiting Cinque Terre as we spent three days in Monterosso and traveled to the other towns by day. Can't wait to see your pictures. And we will be in Barcelona for an over night on the Azamara Quest in May so that will be exciting to see.

Carry on, Norris.

3 week road trip in Italy?? You rock!!I hope you rented a red Ferrari...

Lucca=birthplace of Giacomo Puccini a great opera composer.

Cinque Terre- next on my list in a few days. We had a fine lunch in Monterosso and got there by fast boat. Left there by train so all that was fun.

The Barcelona segment will be an epic within an epic!

It's great to see you following along. Thanks for that!

BTW Azamara is on my radar so will be interested to hear all about the Quest.

Norris

Where did all these people come from? Every room bursting with amateur photographers. Scusi!, excuse me, coming through, pardon me, sorry was that your foot?

We struggled to hear Monica, who really knew her stuff, speak through the din.

It was hot and stuffy and leather jacket Norris needed some fresh air.

In a corridor was an open window.....I looked out...

22507995152_45bd7bd60d_b.jpg[/url]

The Ponte Vecchio as it should be seen-from afar, straddling the beautiful river Arno.

Back to the paintings and one I did like-the only one here by Michelangelo

21900268403_fe7598889f_b.jpg

The following I am in the dark about-don't know the painters;

21898761074_5f5377cc72_b.jpg

21900294843_f07f75f83c_b.jpg

22334663379_9360f80d0d_b.jpg

My favorite subject in High School,apart from French Language was always art.

I liked the drawing and painting moreso than the Art History. There was one painter I did like hearing about- Sandro Botticelli a local Florence painter during the Renaissance.

We were now in a museum which had a room dedicated to his works!

When we got there though-this is what we found.....

22334650919_4e3e61d423_b.jpg[/url]

Yep! Closed for renovation!

Monica spoke to a Docent who told us that some of his works were being shown

in an adjacent room. My heart leapt! Would his most bold and imaginative work be one of them? A painting where he impossibly stretched the boundaries in subject and technical perfection. A painting known the world over as....

BOTTICELLI'S "

"DOGS PLAYING POKER"

22462920226_345e545bb7_b.jpg

Alas!! Alas!! it was NOT THERE!!

All they had were some pathetic daubings he probably knocked off in his lunch break-crap like this

That was the Birth of Venus-but look here she is in another painting! Woman can't stay in one place for two minutes!

22521471345_3a69b02565_b.jpg

That did it for me! I'm outta here!

• Like 1

More fantastic stuff Norris! While my DW was partial to Venice, I loved Florence. I really felt European there. My attempts at Italian were met with smiles, and the gelato shop owners let me feed the beast inside me. Totally entertained and looking forward to more.

Having left the exhibits and the group behind I made a bee-line for the Exit (Uscita) and on the way stumbled upon this wooden model of Florence... I looked at it carefully to see if I could find our bus parked somewhere but there were no buses

next stop was the bathroom which is downstairs by the exit

21898787604_76535fb042_b.jpg

Modern stairs and you could be excused for thinking you are heading the wrong way but believe me the bathrooms are down here

21900313443_ef65630caa_b.jpg

Once outside again in the fresh air I waited ten minutes for the group to emerge.

We all thanked Monica and came again under the control of Paula. Now we would go back to the bus, wherever it was and return to the ship. I'd say we were in Uffizi for an hour and fifteen minutes.

Unaware we now set out on what would become known as the Uffizi Death March.

More fantastic stuff Norris! While my DW was partial to Venice, I loved Florence. I really felt European there. My attempts at Italian were met with smiles, and the gelato shop owners let me feed the beast inside me. Totally entertained and looking forward to more.

Both Rick Steves and I salute you for your "attempts" at speaking Italian. If you don't try, take those first steps, it will never get any better. It's a sign of respect for the Italians who are serving you, helping you and I think they appreciate it- they smile big and are super friendly when you try. They will also correct you and that's good.

Prior to our setting foot in Venice last year I read a lot of trip advisor reviews of restaurants and was waiting to meet the "surly" waiters. I'm still waiting. They have been fun, friendly and up for a laugh but I feel it was because Carol and I set the tone when we met them. Most have been able to speak English but it's wrong to put all the onus on them by not trying to speak Italian.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Norris

Total crack up.....Dogs Playing Poker

Joanne

Anything for a laugh, Joanne.

That one was called A friend in Need one of the original 16 paintings from 1903 by C.M. Coolidge. Very imaginative.

Norris

3 week road trip in Italy?? You rock!!I hope you rented a red Ferrari...

Lucca=birthplace of Giacomo Puccini a great opera composer.

Cinque Terre- next on my list in a few days. We had a fine lunch in Monterosso and got there by fast boat. Left there by train so all that was fun.

The Barcelona segment will be an epic within an epic!

It's great to see you following along. Thanks for that!

BTW Azamara is on my radar so will be interested to hear all about the Quest.

Norris

DANG! We forgot to rent the red Ferrari.......I guess we'll have to go back :D

OK. You are scaring me with the " death march". Tell me it's not that bad.

Maybe Carol will chime in but -it's that bad.

I'd say it was a mile on city streets/narrow sidewalks and took 30 mins or more at a walking pace. One gentleman was using a walking stick so I imagine he was also glad when it was over. We mentioned it in our Princess survey.

Norris

Before we wave goodbye to the Uffizi there's another photo I found which shows a rooftop terrace which might be a boon for anyone wanting some fresh air between exhibit rooms-it even has a view of the Duomo!

Back to the bus. We figured it would be a few hundred yards like the Accademia drop off. We started walking...

Along the way I took a few pics of anything interesting or scenic

21898694124_9b3d83aef6_b.jpg

21907308144_dbfa224493_b.jpg

After 15 minutes of trudging through the narrow streets we came to the Arno river

21908850573_86b06731fe_b.jpg

22504077686_18745d7bb3_b.jpg

22541204591_72c70d4737_b.jpg

In this shot the bus is within 15 minutes walk away-near that distant bridge.

Getting closer!

THE BUS!!

Once back on the bus Paula gave us the Good News. We would be stopping at a Leather Shop on the way out of Florence for 30 minutes!

Our joy was unbounded!! We had been craving leather goods all day but hadn't wanted to mention it. Dreams CAN come true!!

On the outskirts of town in an industrial estate we did stop at the Leather Store and for me it was a cigarette break and a chance to talk to some fellow passengers. Bathrooms were available and clean and in 30 minutes we were moving. At least the scenery was nice at the Leather Shop....

Next- the Tuscan countryside on the way to Livorno

Still here Norris - loving every read.

When in Florence, we did a Princess ship tour, but it was Florence on your own, and we did the Duomo and the Ponte Vechio with the guide, then had a few hours on our own, which was awesome to just wander. We also had a march to the bus, but certainly not 30 mins, I guess it depends on the volume of tour buses on the day.

Press on Norris - happy for you to have a break but don't be away too long!

Pat

Still here Norris - loving every read.

When in Florence, we did a Princess ship tour, but it was Florence on your own, and we did the Duomo and the Ponte Vechio with the guide, then had a few hours on our own, which was awesome to just wander. We also had a march to the bus, but certainly not 30 mins, I guess it depends on the volume of tour buses on the day.

Press on Norris - happy for you to have a break but don't be away too long!

Pat

There was a Florence on your own tour available but we opted for the guided one.

It meant not waiting in long lines for tickets but of course we could have ordered or tickets in advance. We saw a lot with the guide setting the pace but it was exhausting for some for whom walking isn't a stroll in the park.

Judging by the crowds everywhere we went there were a lot of buses in town and of course people can come in by train.

Thanks for the comments Pat.

Pressing on.

Norris

As on the way to Florence I took photos out of the window on the way back to Livorno and the ship we left behind.

22342356028_e40b344570_b.jpg[/url]

Along the way we talked with a nice couple sitting in front of us, who had visited Italy before and were Opera fans. They weren't CC members as I recall so I doubt they'll read this. They made the journey go by quicker. There was no commentary from Paula on the trip and that helped too.

22342362058_122a2d3ec3_b.jpg

22343242489_8c1ace53b8_b.jpg

21908874703_3d9278e558_b.jpg

22342367858_0cd6b2579b_b.jpg

Fertile land