Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

Where did all these people come from? Every room bursting with amateur photographers. Scusi!, excuse me, coming through, pardon me, sorry was that your foot?

We struggled to hear Monica, who really knew her stuff, speak through the din.

It was hot and stuffy and leather jacket Norris needed some fresh air.

In a corridor was an open window.....I looked out...

22507995152_45bd7bd60d_b.jpg

The Ponte Vecchio as it should be seen-from afar, straddling the beautiful river Arno.

Back to the paintings and one I did like-the only one here by Michelangelo

21900268403_fe7598889f_b.jpg

The following I am in the dark about-don't know the painters;

21898761074_5f5377cc72_b.jpg

21900294843_f07f75f83c_b.jpg

22334663379_9360f80d0d_b.jpg

Hello Bimmer

Loving your review and pictures which have brought back many happy memories of holidays spent in Venice, Rome and now Florence.

I guess you must be interested in art or you wouldn’t have photographed, posted or asked about these pictures, so without wishing to sound geeky or nerdy, here goes… (Bimmer and anyone else – if you’re not interested, scroll to the next post!)

Firstly, if you get back to Florence a trip into Orsanmichele (the exterior is pictured in post 479) will reveal an intricate and richly decorated interior along with a number of fine sculptures all of which will not disappoint.

Secondly, the last 3 pictures in this post are (no 1) Pope Leo X by Rafael, whose tomb (Raphael’s) can be found in The Pantheon!; nos 2 & 3 are both by Gerrit van Honthorst (a Dutch artist) – “Supper Party and “Adoration of the Child”. The Uffizi website confirms that his work was heavily influenced by Caravaggio and if you get back to Valetta anytime be sure to check out his (Caravaggio’s) “The Beheading of St John the Baptist" in St John’s Co-Cathedral where you’ll see similar lighting – again, worth a detour.

Lastly, on the right hand side (and stretching over the Ponte Vecchio) of the first photo you can see Vasari’s Corridor (red tiled roof) – another angle of this structure can be seen in your pictures taken from the Ponte Vecchio in post 497 (pic no 5 in that post). This is another hidden treasure in Florence. Built in just 6 months by Vasari on the orders of the ruling Medici it allowed them (the Medici) to commute from their home in the Pitti Palace (south of the Arno and also well worth a visit) to their workplace or office (Uffizi – geddit?) without coming into contact with the residents or the butchers' shops that used to line the bridge. The original bus or commuter lane!

Now back to the story…

WT

Edited by WesternTrader

This is a stray photo from the morning drive but it shows that the land is not only scenic but agriculturally rich.

21849437714_9767fe2886_b.jpg[/url]

There are towns along the way too

21908895373_2d3c297489_b.jpg

22504124186_60ed45156d_b.jpg

22516602522_336d89157a_b.jpg

21907366754_f3e4d6de90_b.jpg

You know you've reached Livorno when you see this massive container park

22530114585_01c4de14c4_b.jpg

Hello Bimmer

Loving your review and pictures which have brought back many happy memories of holidays spent in Venice, Rome and now Florence.

I guess you must be interested in art or you wouldn’t have photographed, posted or asked about these pictures, so without wishing to sound geeky or nerdy, here goes… (Bimmer and anyone else – if you’re not interested, scroll to the next post!)

Firstly, if you get back to Florence a trip into Orsanmichele (the exterior is pictured in post 479) will reveal an intricate and richly decorated interior along with a number of fine sculptures all of which will not disappoint.

Secondly, the last 3 pictures in this post are (no 1) Pope Leo X by Rafael, whose tomb (Raphael’s) can be found in The Pantheon!; nos 2 & 3 are both by Gerrit van Honthorst (a Dutch artist) – “Supper Party and “Adoration of the Child”. The Uffizi website confirms that his work was heavily influenced by Caravaggio and if you get back to Valetta anytime be sure to check out his (Caravaggio’s) “The Beheading of St John the Baptist" in St John’s Co-Cathedral where you’ll see similar lighting – again, worth a detour.

Lastly, on the right hand side (and stretching over the Ponte Vecchio) of the first photo you can see Vasari’s Corridor (red tiled roof) – another angle of this structure can be seen in your pictures taken from the Ponte Vecchio in post 497 (pic no 5 in that post). This is another hidden treasure in Florence. Built in just 6 months by Vasari on the orders of the ruling Medici it allowed them (the Medici) to commute from their home in the Pitti Palace (south of the Arno and also well worth a visit) to their workplace or office (Uffizi – geddit?) without coming into contact with the residents or the butchers' shops that used to line the bridge. The original bus or commuter lane!

Now back to the story…

WT

Thanks for taking the time to do this-very generous of you. Carol is more the art lover I'd have to say. I can't imagine a world without it and have enjoyed roaming the famous galleries-particularly the Art Institute of Chicago which is knee-deep in French Impressionists and it's there that a chord is struck with me.

On this trip, wanting to take photos meant that I was often away from the guide explaining what we were seeing (same thing applied in Herculaneum) and so didn't come away with the knowledge I might have.

Yes the lighting effects on those two Dutch paintings caught my eye.

We were recently in San Francisco and I got to see an exhibition by my favorite painter JMW Turner. That work grabs my attention fully.

I'm glad your post is now trapped in my review for all time and can be a reference for those wanting more information on what they are seeing.

You're very kind, so thank you again.

Norris

Thank you for doing this... Hope one day to do the same cruise...:)

Yes it was a great Itinerary for us, wanting to see as much of Italy as we could in one visit. We would repeat the itinerary in the future.

Thanks for following!

Norris

22541263151_4fa68d35c8_b.jpg[/url]

22342405768_e0b048758e_b.jpg

22504143246_ed4a6dc8d5_b.jpg

22343293439_e64820065b_b.jpg

I love working docklands. My father was a ship's Captain so I got to spend time wandering them as a kid. That was before the advent of containers-so a while ago. Cargoes were lifted in big nets by cranes and there were stevedores galore.

Cranes lifted railway trucks full of coal and tipped them over the holds and let gravity do the rest while down below in the corners men with black faces and shovels scooped the pyramid of coal into the corners. But I digress...

21907385684_649fc0f1b7_b.jpg

21908929913_b409de6345_b.jpg

We left the dock at 7.30 a.m and by the time the wheels stopped turning it would be 5.30p.m. A long but worthwhile day visiting Florence, a city where ugly buildings are hard to find.

22342186970_565e61af9d_b.jpg[/url]

When the bus stopped we climbed down and thanked Paula, pressing 10E into her hand. We made our way through the terminal building.

22541289331_f375b6ca5a_b.jpg

22516639952_86b1c26d6a_b.jpg

22504167886_e6d461eac6_b.jpg

I had hoped there was a souvenir stand here as we forgot to buy fridge magnets on the street before leaving Florence. Now we definitely have to go back.

I love Livorno harbor and you'll see enough photos of it to give testimony to that!

I lived by a harbor from age 4 to 15 and my bedroom window showed me the Irish sea, whether calm and blue, sparkling in the sun or wildly foaming in a winter gale. I watched the trawlers come home each evening after school, their deck lights illuminating the flocks of gulls hoping for some discarded fish innards.

The harbor was most exciting at night, with all the boats lit up and the derricks swinging boxes of fresh fish ashore onto trucks. There was a processing plant half a mile away for prawns and many of the trucks headed for Belfast once loaded.

Many of the fish would end up in the fish and chip shops that abound in every town in Northern Ireland. Finding a poor fish and chips meal there takes some searching. The first meal I crave when going home is fish and chips wrapped in paper to take away.

There were no security gates at the harbor and in the late 1950s and mid 1960s why would there be? No need for security prior to 1968. So as a young

scalawag I was free to come and go as I pleased. All the Captains knew me because of my dad and my grandfather who owned one of the trawlers. At weekends with the boats tied-up in the harbor I was given the keys to my granddad's boat and with a couple of friends with vivid imaginations took our British Destroyer out of port in search of German submarines. We sank quite a few.

So,in short (fat chance!) I have a love of harbors and ships ingrained in me forever.

Bear with me for the next half dozen posts as I share the beauty of Livorno Harbor...

22360777098_e03819e408_b.jpg[/url]

21927306553_1f23b7387e_b.jpg

22548496295_14747fc3d2_b.jpg

22548505235_8e3b33bbd8_b.jpg

Out there somewhere lay our next port-Genoa

still following, still enjoying, still jealous:rolleyes:

It's all good!!

This was such a great Itinerary.

Still to come after tonight's dinner and a show is Genoa and a long excursion to Cinque terre. So much to show you there!

Thanks for letting me know you are still here.

Norris

It's all good!!

This was such a great Itinerary.

Still to come after tonight's dinner and a show is Genoa and a long excursion to Cinque terre. So much to show you there!

Thanks for letting me know you are still here.

Norris

I'm all in for the entire duration but need another bottle of rum or 4

Norris: I visited Cinque Terre in 2013 by way of the port of La Spezia, Italy. We did 3 villages via the train, but too much to see in such little time. I loved riding the train. I'm anxious to see & hear what you thought of your day in Cinque Terre.

Joanne

We also did the tour via La Spezia but did manage to visit all five. Cinque Terre was my favourite excursion of our entire Med cruise.

One thing = I won't be comparing my pictures with those of Norris, it would be embarassing.

Judy

Norris: I visited Cinque Terre in 2013 by way of the port of La Spezia, Italy. We did 3 villages via the train, but too much to see in such little time. I loved riding the train. I'm anxious to see & hear what you thought of your day in Cinque Terre.

Joanne

We did two villages in a very long day.

Should be there by Friday at current pace Joanne.

Norris

What we refer to as "Magic Light" bathes the buildings beyond the dock (zoom lens)

21925820274_7a9b5d51b5_b.jpg[/url]

22548548695_c073fa5fbb_b.jpg

Starting to lose the light

22559776191_3d6029d587_b.jpg

We push away from the dock at 7 p.m

One of my favorite things, apart from whiskers on kittens and warm woolen mittens, is the fact that in an aft cabin you get to see the port slowly disappear in the dusk as the ship leaves for her next destination.

Back there you also forget that there is 950 feet of ship attached to your cabin.

There are over 4,000 people on the other side of that door. Hundreds of them are cooking and serving food right now. Bands are tuning up and dancers exercising.

The deck stewards are stacking up the loungers. The Captain's only got another hour of his watch to do and is thinking "Dinner" much as we are. The crew in the laundry just keep on with their mighty task which is never completed, seldom seeing the sea or a passenger. Unsung heroes all.

Hi Norris,

I hate to see you leave Livorno. I think loved that port the most. I'm glad that you got some pictures of the ferries with the cartoon characters. I got such a kick out of seeing them at the different ports. I look forward to your Genoa pictures. We did the HOHO in Genoa so did not get out of the city. (Great city btw.) It will be nice to see the Cinque Terre pictures to see what we missed.

We also did the tour via La Spezia but did manage to visit all five. Cinque Terre was my favourite excursion of our entire Med cruise.

One thing = I won't be comparing my pictures with those of Norris, it would be embarassing.

Judy

Judy, the important thing is to TAKE the photo in the first place. The more the merrier! That wasn't so easy in the days of film...the memory card in my camera could hold the equivalent of about 150 rolls of 36 exposure film and if I take a bad photo it goes in the trashcan at no cost.

Photography as a hobby could consume a person and I haven't caught that bug yet. It's a tool to aid our memories and stop all the cruises and traveling we do blurring.We've done 6 trips this year and I've taken over 4,600 pics.

Modern cameras simply take good pictures as long as you use common sense. I see so many people use flash outdoors at night to photograph a big scene when the flash will only light up about 12 feet or so. Posing with the sun behind you gives a nice silhouette-if that's what you're after.

I've seen a great CC photo review of the Baltic from a British guy who only used an iPhone so everyone has a good camera on them at all times. You just have to think of using it when you see something worth capturing.

I've watched and bookmarked a few "how to " videos on Youtube-fantastic resources if you want to take better pics in all sorts of lighting conditions. There's a lot to remember and consider once you switch the camera into Manual mode.

Better results can follow and I practice in Michigan where there is a lot to shoot but for a review like this in crowded conditions where speed is of the essence auto is the way to go and then fix the shot in Lightroom.

Norris' 2 cents

One of my favorite things, apart from whiskers on kittens and warm woolen mittens, is the fact that in an aft cabin you get to see the port slowly disappear in the dusk as the ship leaves for her next destination.

Back there you also forget that there is 950 feet of ship attached to your cabin.

There are over 4,000 people on the other side of that door. Hundreds of them are cooking and serving food right now. Bands are tuning up and dancers exercising.

The deck stewards are stacking up the loungers. The Captain's only got another hour of his watch to do and is thinking "Dinner" much as we are. The crew in the laundry just keep on with their mighty task which is never completed, seldom seeing the sea or a passenger. Unsung heroes all.

22360900398_23bf013520_b.jpg

Looking forward to a similar view next week on the Emerald! Thank you for your detailed and stunning review of Florence. I recently finished Dan Brown's book "Inferno" which take place in Florence. Seeing your pictures and reading your description tied it very nicely with the book.

Looking forward to a similar view next week on the Emerald! Thank you for your detailed and stunning review of Florence. I recently finished Dan Brown's book "Inferno" which take place in Florence. Seeing your pictures and reading your description tied it very nicely with the book.

Ah-a new face (screen name)thanks for joining us.

Aft view-best on ship! I'm glad the Florence review had some resonance with you after reading the book.

Thanks for the compliments!

Hope you make it to the end of this (if there even is one)

Norris

Hi Norris,

I hate to see you leave Livorno. I think loved that port the most. I'm glad that you got some pictures of the ferries with the cartoon characters. I got such a kick out of seeing them at the different ports. I look forward to your Genoa pictures. We did the HOHO in Genoa so did not get out of the city. (Great city btw.) It will be nice to see the Cinque Terre pictures to see what we missed.

Genoa pics coming up soon. The city seen from the ship is stunning-just piled up, layer upon layer against a mountain. I got pics from the bus too as we got a little tour of the city near the harbor.

Cinque Terre? Nothing there but charm and eye candy. I took plenty of pics to share. You'll want to go...

Norris

Norris,

Thanks for the great photos - DW and I always try to be on our balcony at sail-away. Its a bittersweet moment for us - sad that we are leaving another beautiful port. Happy that we are sailing off and will soon be at another port soon.

We take the time to remember our days journeys and always make sure, with a glass of wine in our hands, to toast our great day and say goodbye to where we were that day and a "hope to see you again real soon" follows.

Ron

Edited by homeinboca

Norris,

Thanks for the great photos - DW and I always try to be on our balcony at sail-away. Its a bittersweet moment for us - sad that we are leaving another beautiful port. Happy that we are sailing off and will soon be at another port soon.

We take the time to remember our days journeys and always make sure, with a glass of wine in our hands, to toast our great day and say goodbye to where we were that day and a "hope to see you again real soon" follows.

Ron

Ron, my sentiments exactly!

So many new ports lie ahead for us, hopefully.

When on the Song of Norway I used to play the first music the pax would hear as we sailed out of Miami every Saturday and I always looked out the big windows at the causeway as we glided alongside. It was always the same and the places that we were going were always the same (Cayman, Ocho Rios, Labadee, Cozumel) yet I was always on deck as we came into port (often hadn't been to bed yet) and again when we left in the sunset. Never got boring even though in 1986 I did 32 back to back cruises. It's all part of the Magic of cruising-it's so far outside of all our normal lives. On a ship you get to "live the life".

Cheers!

Norris