Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

Norris,

Great pictures of Florence, one of our favourite places. Loved the pics of the Duomo and Michaelangelos David, I was in awe of that statue. I could not believe I was seeing it with my own eyes. Also, when we were there, no photos were allowed.

Thanks again for taking us along so we can relive that wonderful place.

Ron

Norris: I remember that gelato shop.....yum yum. Hubby & I talk about returning to Florence for a land trip with a few days by train to Venice. In 2013, we toured Florence with Rome in Limo - it was a long & exhausting day. Your pictures are fantastic. I loved seeing the Tuscan countryside.

Joanne

Land trip in Italy sounds very appealing. We've taken lots in Germany, Austria, France and Switzerland by renting a car (a fast one!) in Munich. So much flexibility that way and you can stop and smell the roses. Some towns (like Lucerne and Rothenburg) are best enjoyed after the tour buses leave. We will never be exclusively cruise people for that reason. The only thing I would be concerned about in renting a car in Italy is having a place to park it at the end of the day.

As we rode the bus on the highway through Tuscany I imagined us out of sight-over that hill-zipping along winding country roads in a convertible wearing sunglasses having just returned from a local mom and pop winery. Pull up at the rented farmhouse and set about making a big pot of spaghetti alla carbonara with some crusty chewy Italian bread. Put some Pavarotti on the stereo and eat it outdoors as the sun is setting over those mountains. After dinner a double espresso and a glass of Sambuca Romana and a big cheesy grin. E la dolce vita!!

Venice? Venice was love at first sight for me. Unforgettable, so unique in this world.

A long and exhausting day with Rome in Limo?- I can relate to long and exhausting!

Cheers Joanne,

Norris

Norris,

If I could I would award you the Pulitzer Prize for best cruise review. Bet you didn't even know there was one. There is, in my world at least. I will definitely nominate you as soon as I can find the nominating committee which was last seen in a bar, somewhere. Maybe on a ship. I will keep looking for them.

How I am enjoying your review! Especially since on May 14 my hubby and I board the Emerald for a 14 night Med cruise in suite C751! We were on the Island last month on the Barcelona to Venice cruise and enjoyed it so much that our plan to not cruise until 2017 lasted less than a week. We have never cruised on such a large ship so are particularly interested in your thoughts of sailing on this super grand size ship. Also our first aft suite. My hubby is retired Navy and loves the aft location, the view, the wake, so I am looking forward to it.

So thank you again Norris for taking the time to write this wonderful travel log, review and truly love story of travel.

Joan

Norris,

Great pictures of Florence, one of our favourite places. Loved the pics of the Duomo and Michaelangelos David, I was in awe of that statue. I could not believe I was seeing it with my own eyes. Also, when we were there, no photos were allowed.

Thanks again for taking us along so we can relive that wonderful place.

Ron

Ron,the pleasure's all mine. It's good to know who's reading along and getting something out of this.

I don't get the no photos sanction. The statue is made of marble. I can understand the no flash rules in museums. I never use flash anyway.

I'm glad you like Florence-hope you feel the same about Cinque terre and Barcelona still to come!

Lots more Florence in the can...

Norris

Norris,

If I could I would award you the Pulitzer Prize for best cruise review. Bet you didn't even know there was one. There is, in my world at least. I will definitely nominate you as soon as I can find the nominating committee which was last seen in a bar, somewhere. Maybe on a ship. I will keep looking for them.

How I am enjoying your review! Especially since on May 14 my hubby and I board the Emerald for a 14 night Med cruise in suite C751! We were on the Island last month on the Barcelona to Venice cruise and enjoyed it so much that our plan to not cruise until 2017 lasted less than a week. We have never cruised on such a large ship so are particularly interested in your thoughts of sailing on this super grand size ship. Also our first aft suite. My hubby is retired Navy and loves the aft location, the view, the wake, so I am looking forward to it.

So thank you again Norris for taking the time to write this wonderful travel log, review and truly love story of travel.

Joan

Joan thanks for the sentiments in your post. I am touched.

Grand Class-well as you can see from my signature I have been on a few and they fit like a glove. I can't think of one drawback really. 3,000 people get well spread out although I wouldn't go near the buffet on embarkation day. MDR for us, open 12 to 1.30 but we always get on ASAP as we don't fly in on the day (ever!)

Aft suite? Can't be beat for us. No wind back there. Noise-sure, the wake is loud but we are fine with it as we can see the engines are working and where we've been. Great when leaving a port. Calm big balcony ideal for Breakfast, Afternoon tea and Ultimate Balcony Dinner outdoors. Comfy teak furniture. Priority laundry!

Suites are spacious and very well appointed. Perks are good.

I'll have some Barcelona pics to show you in a week (or two!). Loved that city!

Thanks for all the kind words and for reading along. A long attention span never hurt anyone.

Norris.

OMG Norris.....Your writing is just pulling me in and I can't wait for the next installment! I can't remember if you had already been to Pisa so I will ask you this question. Did you and Carol decide to just do Florence and not do Pisa? My husband has been to Pisa many, many years before I came along and I would love to see it but after seeing your pictures of Florence and your postings, I might have to pass on Pisa if it meant a longer time in Florence. You did the ship's tour....did you look at private tours also or do you feel more comfortable with a ship's tour? Thanks so much for answering my questions and I look forward to reading lots more.

Corinne

WOW- not allowed to take photos??!!

Private tour sounds good but we never even thought about it-we might have been able to use Rome in Limo but for way more $$ considering transfer from Livorno.

The crowds-on a Wednesday with just one ship in Livorno- took me by surprise.

OK next episode coming right up!

Thanks for popping in and letting me know you're here.

Norris

Norris I think photos were banned because of some sort of copyright issue to do with the Japanese of all people , didn't understand it then but the guards would yell at people trying to take photos !

Our private tour was with Rome in Limo from the Ruby Princess in Livorno .We had contacted people through Cruise Critic & formed a party of 8 ,it was fantastic , cheaper ,easier than 40 people in a large bus & we made some good friends . We were also able to go to a lovely property for lunch ,a winery where they also made their own olive oil , bread, & prosciutto.

Need to go back !!!:)

Love coming home from work, sitting down with a coffee and catching up on the latest instalment .. I just keep adding more places and cruises to my bucket list [emoji4]

Dawn Princess - New Zealand Jan 2015

Sea Princess - Vanuatu & New Caledonia Jan 2016

Norris, loving your review and pictures. We did a med cruise on the Ruby in Sept 2012 Barcelona to Venice and your pictures bring back a lot of memories. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to the rest of your review and pictures.

Diane

Welcome aboard, Diane!

I'm glad you've decided to follow along. Lots of Barcelona pics in your future!

Thanks for the comment.

Norris

OMG Norris.....Your writing is just pulling me in and I can't wait for the next installment! I can't remember if you had already been to Pisa so I will ask you this question. Did you and Carol decide to just do Florence and not do Pisa? My husband has been to Pisa many, many years before I came along and I would love to see it but after seeing your pictures of Florence and your postings, I might have to pass on Pisa if it meant a longer time in Florence. You did the ship's tour....did you look at private tours also or do you feel more comfortable with a ship's tour? Thanks so much for answering my questions and I look forward to reading lots more.

Corinne

Corinne-no Pisa for us. Some other time.

We figured we'd need the whole day for Florence-and we did.

It was a Princess tour, which is what we usually take. We were on the move from 7 am to 5.30.

Thanks for following along!

Norris

Norris I think photos were banned because of some sort of copyright issue to do with the Japanese of all people , didn't understand it then but the guards would yell at people trying to take photos !

Our private tour was with Rome in Limo from the Ruby Princess in Livorno .We had contacted people through Cruise Critic & formed a party of 8 ,it was fantastic , cheaper ,easier than 40 people in a large bus & we made some good friends . We were also able to go to a lovely property for lunch ,a winery where they also made their own olive oil , bread, & prosciutto.

Need to go back !!!:)

I'm a big RIL fan.

And yes-we need to go back (but not all at once!)

So crowded wherever we went.

As you'll see...

Norris, happy to have been allowed to take pictures.

Love coming home from work, sitting down with a coffee and catching up on the latest instalment .. I just keep adding more places and cruises to my bucket list [emoji4]

Another installment coming your way!

Glad you are following.

Norris

We all trooped out of the Piazza, following Paula....

and turned a corner. Paula told us that after Ponte Vecchio we would have time for "gold shopping" at a store right here, in an indoor shopping mall. At the words "gold shopping" Carol and I rolled our eyes. Paula told everyone-It's part of the tour. And repeated that. Gold shop/cameo shop-same difference.Even the Hubble telescope 100 feet away wouldn't be able to see our interest as it is beyond microscopic.

22313516530_692b98b6a4_b.jpg

21878730384_ffcfeca0f8_b.jpg

And so we came to Ponte Vecchio. I had never imagined it. It just looked old and cool in photos. If you had told me that all the shops on it were jewelry stores I would have said "I'll go for a beer then".

22488045252_4050114cfb_b.jpg

22313525660_77521675a4_b.jpg

21880281383_d6059c9db9_b.jpg

More to come

The crowd on the bridge

and reinforcements approaching

22501475875_7dff58a431_b.jpg

A sea of heads...

Finally I get to take a shot

Little did I realize that the Uffizi was in the shot ( middle left at center)

And the view looking in the opposite direction

This is a bust of a famous son of Florence, the Goldsmith, sculptor and painter Benvenuto Cellini

22316563188_4bb7bd60c1_b.jpg[/url]

We were now going to move on, back to the Gold shop on the corner. We had to swim against the tide.

22316560738_ff15f14473_b.jpg

When we got to the gold shop Paula led the way in-and we just kept on walking.

There was coffee in our future and that's worth it's weight in gold.

A picture's worth a thousand words....

22313797568_e34e4c0fc9_b.jpg

22504267625_778db9ec1c_b.jpg

Two double espressos (Espresso doppio) were 7 Euros each and boy did they hit the spot!!

We had half an hour before we had to meet the group and the plan then was to go to lunch!! Hooray!

Norris - my new daily morning ritual is coffee while reading your blog.

Great way to start the day.

Thanks so much for your time and effort and thanks to Carol for her patience.

My early morning ritual is coffee and writing this.

I'm glad you're enjoying the read Dott!

That's my reward.

Norris

Lunch. We are looking forward to this! however it is another long walk.

I took photos along the way...but before I do here is a very short video clip from the Piazza.

[YOUTUBE]3PestmnIvRE[/YOUTUBE]

So we're walking...

22504143625_8a07e9586f_b.jpg[/url]

22515234131_4c78f2d5e2_b.jpg

22478168096_8162253d95_b.jpg

22317334659_9a83efefdf_b.jpg

21882959523_042dbcc396_b.jpg

Still walking...

Just finished up my morning coffee Norris and your latest installments. Wonderful photos. Love that big smile on Carol's face while enjoying her coffee & watching the world walk by. I, too, love to stop and take in the city vibe while enjoying a cappuccino/cocktail. I can't wait to see your lunch photos.

Joanne

Just finished up my morning coffee Norris and your latest installments. Wonderful photos. Love that big smile on Carol's face while enjoying her coffee & watching the world walk by. I, too, love to stop and take in the city vibe while enjoying a cappuccino/cocktail. I can't wait to see your lunch photos.

Joanne

Thanks Joanne, I'll have them up shortly.

Norris

Cyclists in Florence are patient but get frustrated trying to pass large groups of tourists who aren't paying attention on narrow streets.

21881426074_f0a0c9525e_b.jpg

You see the most interesting buildings walking around the side streets

We reach the restaurant

The mass of red hair is Paula

A splash of color welcomes us to Ristorante Rubaconte

See you inside...