Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

With two teenagers at home we each packed a bag. DW and I one each for the cruise and teenage son and daughter one each to go on a 2 week school field trip. All piled into the car and off to the airport. Dropped son and DW at the curb and they said they would check the bags. That they did - thru to the destinations.

The children arrived in Washington DC with our bags and we in San Juan with theirs! We did not notice until after we boarded. Did lots of shopping in Barbados. Learned teenagers were really different clothing. The good news is our son was about the same size as DW and myself so we did have interesting T shirts to wear. LOL

Had some really funny photos to share after we all returned to Arizona.

Imagine the horror on the poor teenagers faces when they discovered they had Mom and Dad's clothing instead of their's?! Would love to see those pictures!

My wife tends to begin thinking about packing at the last minute -- literally an hour or two before the cab arrives to take us to the airport. Almost every vacation, something gets overlooked. We were on a 29-day Hawaii-to-Sidney on the Mercury a few years ago when she completely forgot to pack a single bra or slip or pair of socks. The morning we left for Honolulu I got out her suitcases, she tossed in what seemed like 40 or 50 pairs of shoes, lots of lightweight clothing, and six nights worth of formal wear. But nothing to wear under that filmy formal wear. The absence wasn't discovered until we were on the ship and at sea. After several days at sea, the first stop was Tahiti, where the sights we saw were mostly limited to clothing stores.

For myself, I pack everything about two weeks beforehand and leave everything in a spare bedroom. Every morning I take my coffee into the room and think about what I can eliminate. By the time that last morning arrives my suitcase is only 2/3 full, leaving room for another 10-15 pairs of Sara's shoes.

I do the suitcase on the guest room bed thing too! I pack and then un-pack....put this in and then take it out and put something else in! I'm still "refining" the packing the day before. DH packs the morning of...drives me crazy....drives him crazy because I keep making "suggestions" about what to pack! He keeps telling me how much "experience" he has packing...not to worry!! LOL! ;):p

Packing mistake - sort of.

5 yrs ago we had a 10 day trip to Hawaii from San Diego (transfer thru Ensenada) and stayed with 80 other Royal Carib guests at RCL's pre-cruise hotel. Told to have bags by door early - we saw them all lined up at hotel curb by the buses taking us to the transfer connection point. That was the last time these 109 pieces of luggage were seen for 5 days.

The ship sailed without 80 pax's checked luggage - when pax went to Registration desk late departure evening asking about missing bags, even staff did not know what happened. Pax speculated the cruise apparel may be gracing the streets of Ensenada. Once the bags were located the next day in San Diego, they were air-freighted to Honolulu, reloaded onto Maui flight and tendered on arrival at Maui fifth day of cruise.

So all 80 only had clothes they wore onto ship, hand carry bags. We were provided some pocket $ for clothes but ship only sold gym wear, not underwear, socks. Everyone given free spa t-shirts. Some pax left meds in luggage. Ship provided 24-hr free laundry and free men's tux rental, which one wife wore to dinner. Received a 1/3rd future cruise credit also.

We now cross pack and take at least 1 extra day clothes in carry on.

During final packing on disembarkation morning, I packed my underwear and socks worn the night before into a laundry bag and shoved it down in the outside pocket of my carry-on bag, before putting in my laptop and a few more odds and ends.

Embarking on another cruise several months later, I was unpacking my carry-on bag , noticed a small bulge down at the bottom of the outside pocket, and discovered..........

I may be the only cruise passenger who packed up dirty laundry from one cruise and brought it along on another cruise months later. :o

I do the suitcase on the guest room bed thing too! I pack and then un-pack....put this in and then take it out and put something else in! I'm still "refining" the packing the day before. DH packs the morning of...drives me crazy....drives him crazy because I keep making "suggestions" about what to pack! He keeps telling me how much "experience" he has packing...not to worry!! LOL! ;):p

This is hilarious.... I would remind him a day before you are leaving, of the commando story and that packing what he wants to bring and wear really is his responsibility.

He is in adult after all.....;)

I love the 'commando' story; it is classic. :p

Happy and cruising to both of you. :)