Buying alcohol on board and going through customs

So I tried to search for this answer and couldn't find anything specifically answering my Question. We are sailing out of San Juan (live in Colorado) and we would like to buy some bottles of alcohol with our on board credit for Christmas presents. I think the rule is that you can buy 1 bottle per adult duty free.

What happens if we buy 3 bottles per adult?

I'm usually just a lurker on these boards and I have learned so much from all of your experiences and comments! TIA!!

So I tried to search for this answer and couldn't find anything specifically answering my Question. We are sailing out of San Juan (live in Colorado) and we would like to buy some bottles of alcohol with our on board credit for Christmas presents. I think the rule is that you can buy 1 bottle per adult duty free.

What happens if we buy 3 bottles per adult?

I'm usually just a lurker on these boards and I have learned so much from all of your experiences and comments! TIA!!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-%28including-homemade-wine%29-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

In theory, it's one liter per person, but coming from USVI islands, it's more (I think 2).

The safest thing is to just declare it.

It's only import duty and excise tax to be paid- you'll be allowed to keep it.

We brought back 5 bottles between 2 people, declared it, and didn't have to pay .

One other thing- if what you are getting is at the airport- get it there when you leave (you can check when you arrive). The prices there are good, and no tax.

Plus you carry it on the plane for the flight home.

The amount you can take back through duty free is 1L per person without duty--more than that, you'll have to pay some percentage of the price of the bottle.

In your case it appears Puerto Rico doesn't have any requirements in addition to the federal regulations. What's a little more of a concern is how you'll get them home--most airlines do have restrictions on how much alcohol you can put in checked luggage, and Colorado does require paying excise tax on more than 4L of alcohol imported into the state. (Three bottles per person does put this precariously close to 4L.)

THAT SAID...other than maybe playing packing Jenga with your checked luggage and maybe having to pay duty (to Customs) and excise tax (to Colorado) you should be ok--you're not bringing in over a case. ;) (Warning though, I Am Not A Lawyer, if you have any questions consult a real attorney as opposed to an Internet forum, blah blah.)

I live in colorado and sailed from San Juan in August. I read some of the same rules regarding checking a certain amount of alcohol in luggage etc., but like others said, what the rules say and what is enforced are usually 2 different things. I declared everything we bought, but when we went through customs when we left the ship, the customs agent asked me if we had "...bought anything, alcohol, souvenirs, anything like that?" And I said yes and that I wrote it all on my form, at which point he looked at it and said "oh Yep you did, sorry," and then he didn't even read it and just sent us on our way. At the airport my only problem was that my bag was too heavy, and I had to move stuff around to other bags. The ticket agent was really nice about it and suggested ways to move things around, and never commented on my alcohol other than to mention that it often makes bags over the weight limit :)

All that being said, I was disappointed not to find any good deals on alcohol and just bought things that were unique and couldn't be bought at home, like guavaberry liquor from St. Maarten.