Inside Passage vs Glacier Bay

Andie272

This will be the first of MANY posts as I start to research my cruise. We (DH and I both 43) and DD (who will be almost 14 at time of cruise) are looking to do our first ever Alaska cruise in August 2017. We are not new to cruising, have done 3 Carnival cruises, DH and I are doing a RCI end of this month and we have our first DCL booked for October 2016.

We are looking at RCI, Carnival, Norwegian and maybe Disney. I have heard this are the better cruise lines for teens. Is this true? Should I look for the cruise we would enjoy most for the "Alaska" experience and not worry so much about my DD teen experience?

The first thing I am looking at is the different glaciers, from my preliminary research Glacier Bay is the better choice. With Tracy Arm you don't always make it all the way through to Sawyer Glacier. How often don't you get to the Sawyer do you think?

I ask this because I was also informed by my TA that Inside Passage is amazing, and to him is a must do. Problem I have is that only RCI does Inside passage, and the cruise I am looking at doesn't go to Glacier Bay or Ketchikan, SO this all leads to my first BIG decision...

Inside Passage AND NO Glacier Bay AND Ketchikan OR NO Inside Passage AND Glacier Bay and Ketchikan.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

I don't believe RCI has permits for Glacier Bay, so they can't cruise it.

I've not cruised Alaska with Carnival nor Disney, so no suggestions there.

I would look at NCL or Princess cruises to include both Glacier Bay and Inside Passage.

Inside Passage AND NO Glacier Bay AND Ketchikan OR NO Inside Passage AND Glacier Bay and Ketchikan.

Thoughts...

• there are two inside passages.
    • Every boat goes through the Alaska Inside passage to get to Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.
    • the second Inside passage is East of Vancouver Island. All boats that depart from Vancouver sail through it.

[*]In addition to Princess, Holland America also offers Glacier Bay itineries. Disney does not do Glacier Bay and charges a significant premium compared to HAL/Princess.

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]B0dplvMRQHQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]9ln2wYbk6xY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Last month I cruised on Carnival's Legend-we left from Seattle, sailed north on the west side of Vancouver (open sea), then went to Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan, south to the City of Vancouver, thru the inside passage-what surprised me most was how narrow the channel on the inside passage was with Vancouver Island on the one side, and (continental) Canada on the other. It was all very beautiful, and Glacier Bay was awesome!:cool:

This will be the first of MANY posts as I start to research my cruise. We (DH and I both 43) and DD (who will be almost 14 at time of cruise) are looking to do our first ever Alaska cruise in August 2017. We are not new to cruising, have done 3 Carnival cruises, DH and I are doing a RCI end of this month and we have our first DCL booked for October 2016.

We are looking at RCI, Carnival, Norwegian and maybe Disney. I have heard this are the better cruise lines for teens. Is this true? Should I look for the cruise we would enjoy most for the "Alaska" experience and not worry so much about my DD teen experience?

The first thing I am looking at is the different glaciers, from my preliminary research Glacier Bay is the better choice. With Tracy Arm you don't always make it all the way through to Sawyer Glacier. How often don't you get to the Sawyer do you think?

I ask this because I was also informed by my TA that Inside Passage is amazing, and to him is a must do. Problem I have is that only RCI does Inside passage, and the cruise I am looking at doesn't go to Glacier Bay or Ketchikan, SO this all leads to my first BIG decision...

There are some wrong assumptions. Your "kids" reference is off. That only pertains to the Caribbean. On Alaska sailings, there is very little difference in the number of kids on board with similar demographics on all lines with the exception of Disney perhaps? But even Disney won't have the numbers they have sailing the Caribbean. IF you are going to Alaska for Alaska then get knowledgeable about WHAT you are reading- DETAILS.

As for "inside passage", it's a generic term that is applied to EVERY Alaska cruise.

As for your Tracy Arm question. In my opinion it is "necessary" to purchase the add on ship tour- grossly superior to the cruise line transit. Only about 25% of the cruise ships get within view of the South Sawyer glacier. Most- turn around at Sawyer Island- which gives only a partial distant view.

Why is your search so narrow at this point? What cruise doesn't include Ketchikan? Generally for a first timer Alaska visitor, you WANT an itinerary that has at least 3 Alaska ports and a glacier. Any less in my opinion are lacking, and overall not good choices.

There are some wrong assumptions. Your "kids" reference is off. That only pertains to the Caribbean. On Alaska sailings, there is very little difference in the number of kids on board with similar demographics on all lines with the exception of Disney perhaps? But even Disney won't have the numbers they have sailing the Caribbean. IF you are going to Alaska for Alaska then get knowledgeable about WHAT you are reading- DETAILS.

As for "inside passage", it's a generic term that is applied to EVERY Alaska cruise.

As for your Tracy Arm question. In my opinion it is "necessary" to purchase the add on ship tour- grossly superior to the cruise line transit. Only about 25% of the cruise ships get within view of the South Sawyer glacier. Most- turn around at Sawyer Island- which gives only a partial distant view.

Why is your search so narrow at this point? What cruise doesn't include Ketchikan? Generally for a first timer Alaska visitor, you WANT an itinerary that has at least 3 Alaska ports and a glacier. Any less in my opinion are lacking, and overall not good choices.

Thank you, I was thinking that about the kids part. Plus she is just as excited to see Alaska as we are and on a normal cruise we enjoy our time together. My search was so narrow because I was told that they are the more kid friendly cruises. I also don't have a set budget in mind but I would like it to be as reasonable as possible. The RCI Explore of the Sea does not stop in Ketchikan. The cruises I have been seeing all basically have the same ports, it's just a difference of how long in each port and which glacier they go to. That is what is making it so hard for me, as a newby to this I am thinking, pick based on price as a glacier is a glacier....BUT I don't think that is true. UGH this is hard :p

Most 14 year olds are not going to be impressed with Disney cruise lines. It is great for younger kids.

I would expand your search. Except for Disney -- most lines won't have a lot of kids or teens.

Do some more research. Not all glaciers are equal. Check out Anne Vipond's Alaska book.

This was our day in GB. I thought it was great because you see 4 or 5 glaciers, and of different types, with about 90 minutes up close to the Margarie glacier, with a chance of seeing some calving, in addition to all the comforts of the ship and park rangers on hand to answer questions. All the best with whatever you decide, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you, I was thinking that about the kids part. Plus she is just as excited to see Alaska as we are and on a normal cruise we enjoy our time together. My search was so narrow because I was told that they are the more kid friendly cruises. I also don't have a set budget in mind but I would like it to be as reasonable as possible. The RCI Explore of the Sea does not stop in Ketchikan. The cruises I have been seeing all basically have the same ports, it's just a difference of how long in each port and which glacier they go to. That is what is making it so hard for me, as a newby to this I am thinking, pick based on price as a glacier is a glacier....BUT I don't think that is true. UGH this is hard :p

Your "glacier is a glacier" thinking is inaccurate. Vast differences, including repetitive viewing over the years. :) Always in a state of change.

There are 6 Alaska inside Passage ports. I suggest you read up on each one of them, including an extended search on what they are known for, what activities especially. Each is VERY different from the others, and unlike the Caribbean- each equally worthwhile to visit. IF you determine what YOU want to see and do in your ports, that will go a long way- toward narrowing down your cruise selection.

The port times ARE important. Some are better than others. Same with visiting time- big differences in timing throughout the Alaska cruise season. Especially if you are flexible on dates.

It appears you are selecting round trip Seattle- this is firm in your decision?

I think so, only because I think it is easier, flight wise. I think I can be swayed on this though.

OK, I'm going to be blunt. :) (actually I'm an ex Long Islander- Farmingdale :) )

With you claiming you can be "swayed"- then back up. Consider my suggestion about= doing your homework on the ports and determine what activities you are going to select- first. You also need to work on the differences in Alaska routes. An example- Seattle round trip cruises are the least scenic. The pluses are the Seattle convenience and touring activities there as well. :) Would you be interested in that?

You can still use Seattle for flights- several options to get to/from Vancouver.

Is there an interest/possibility of a mainland Alaska interest? I recommend at least a 2 week time investment.

Narrowing down these points- will direct you toward a more manageable list of cruise choices.

OK, I'm going to be blunt. :) (actually I'm an ex Long Islander- Farmingdale :) )

With you claiming you can be "swayed"- then back up. Consider my suggestion about= doing your homework on the ports and determine what activities you are going to select- first. You also need to work on the differences in Alaska routes. An example- Seattle round trip cruises are the least scenic. The pluses are the Seattle convenience and touring activities there as well. :) Would you be interested in that?

You can still use Seattle for flights- several options to get to/from Vancouver.

Is there an interest/possibility of a mainland Alaska interest? I recommend at least a 2 week time investment.

Narrowing down these points- will direct you toward a more manageable list of cruise choices.

Hello to a fellow Long Islander, I am in Lindenhurst now but grew up in Massapequa Park.

A 2 week vacation I don't think we can swing, because of work and school....but maybe. Any particular books or sites I can use that are recommended for research.

Hello to a fellow Long Islander, I am in Lindenhurst now but grew up in Massapequa Park.

A 2 week vacation I don't think we can swing, because of work and school....but maybe. Any particular books or sites I can use that are recommended for research.

Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska, plus each has an Alaska Port of Call book, Ann Viapond- Alaska By Cruise ship. Head to your library. :)

We had good numbers of teens, school agers and young adults on our NCL Pearl cruise this July*. (It's summer vacation, after all!) Our kids (10, 13, 20, 23) all connected with others their age and had a good time, plus were appreciative of the natural wonder that is Alaska.

*(link to review is in my sig below).

We have been cruising with our daughter since she was 9 years old and she is now 30 and expecting our first grandchild. We have been on HAL, RCCI, Celebrity, and Carnival with her. She has thouroughly enjoyed each one. Three of our cruises with her were to Alaska. I recommend that you focus on the port excursions that you and she would prefer. From that you can look at which ports you want to visit and how long you will need in each port. I was surprised to find that she actually preferred experiencing the elegance of HAL to the others, followed by RCCI. She didn't like Celebrity as much because the room size was small with all of us sharing a balcony room. We have been on Carnival but not in Alaska and she preferred RCCI to Carnival. I would not focus so much on which cruise line but on the itinerary because I think she will enjoy any of them and will find people her age on all of them.

I think that you are on the right track - you need to attack this cruise in the following manner -

Time - one way with land tour or RT with port tour

Ports - which ones hold the most interest for you

Glacier Viewing - GB or TA

Ship/Cruise line - the last choice you should make - based on largely on the answers to the above questions.

Time - do you have more than 7 days? - Yes look into the many one way cruises to/from Whittier/Seward to/from Vancouver. With even a couple of extra days you can enhance your cruise by spending some time on the Kenai Peninsula - with a few more days you could see Denali Park. If you don't have more than 7 days I suggest a RT cruise - most of which sail from Seattle where they can handle 3 ships/day (Vancouver can only handle 2 at Canada Place) and most of those are for the various one way cruises. I believe HAL still runs one or two RT out of Vancouver.

As far as the area at the north end of Vancouver Island - Johnstone Strait it is indeed a beautiful place - however most ships on NB cruises hit this area late at night on their first night out. You will wake up the next morning on the north end of the island and enter an area of open ocean before diving into the upper inside passage. On most SB cruises you will go through this area in the late afternoon early evening on the last night of the cruise - you will wake up the next morning in Vancouver.

Now look at the ports - take a look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com for lots of good information on the various AK ports. Also look at http://www.alaskatravel.com and http://www.travelalaska.com

Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay = both are sights to see one is a long narrow winding fjord with a glacier at the end - it is best viewed from an add on excursion in a small boat that can get closer to the glacier and the rest of the features in the Fjord. Glacier Bay is a national park, and contains may glaciers both tidewater and other. The entire bay was once a huge glacier. One way cruises also visit Hubbard Glacier - a large tidewater glacier whose inlet is above (north) of glacier bay - most one way cruises visit it just prior to or just after Glacier Bay. Some one ways also visit Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay (ie NCL' s Sun). Currently only three lines have access rights to Glacier Bay - Princess, HAL, and NCL - Carnival has one or two which they use on their very early season opening cruises.

Enjoy your planning and enjoy AK

Just wanted to say that we adored the small boat trip up Tracy Arm. Sure, Sawyer Glacier was a sight to see-- but we loved the whole trip up the fjord. Wonderful scenery everywhere.

I wish that cruise port insider would provide good information about Wrangell, Prince Rupert and Icy Straight, all ports we're visiting on a 14-day cruise next May, Vancouver-Vancouver. Nothing has much appeal that I can find-- whereas we loved our earlier Alaska cruise, which visited the usual suspects. Not interested in museums, breweries, shopping-- just great scenery. I suspect that the three new ports (for us) will be a come-down, but we shall see: would love to be wrong about that.

Edited by poss

All good advice and I will add my 2 cents.....Glacier Bay is amazing...It is always different....always changing.....and whoever said...hey, it is a national park is right....Disney has very little presence in Alaska...Princess has the biggest, I think HAL and Norwegian next, and the rest are down the charts...What kid doesn't want to go dogsledding on a glacier....or smell a whales' blow.....and listen to the sea lions grumble.....or go kayaking, or see a bear...or go fishing....Arrange your cruise around what might interest her...get her away from the cartoons in life and see the world how it can be....I have always traveled with my 3 kids....and they helped plan the trips...with guidance from the adults....in the summer all of the ships have kids on board...Princess has Libby Ridlles who comes on with one of her dogs and talks about her being the first woman to win the Iditarod.....Mighty Woman to listen to....and to give a kid a dream that she can do what she wants....anyway....my two cents....

Seattle round trip cruises are the least scenic.
I was convinced of this, and was aiming for this itinerary:

7 Days Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound)

From Vancouver, British Columbia to Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=2613

... but then I found this itinerary:

7 Days Inside Passage with Glacier Bay

Roundtrip from Vancouver, British Columbia

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=3623N

There is no question that the first is a more scenic itinerary, but it seems like the difference is about two and a half hours at College Fjord. While that is surely not inconsequential, it also seems to include more cruising over open seas (something which some folks, including us, aren't as keen about).

So could folks provide a bit more insight into just how much you lose between the second itinerary and the first itinerary?

To be fair, I realize that in crafting the message I moved the goalposts. You said "Seattle roundtrip" and I switched it to Vancouver roundtrip. That, of course, eliminates the need to stop at Victoria, and so may account for the closer comparison. Regardless, my question stands. I would love to read insights on that Vancouver roundtrip itinerary as compared to the Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary.

I was convinced of this, and was aiming for this itinerary:

7 Days Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound)

From Vancouver, British Columbia to Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=2613

... but then I found this itinerary:

7 Days Inside Passage with Glacier Bay

Roundtrip from Vancouver, British Columbia

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=3623N

There is no question that the first is a more scenic itinerary, but it seems like the difference is about two and a half hours at College Fjord. While that is surely not inconsequential, it also seems to include more cruising over open seas (something which some folks, including us, aren't as keen about).

So could folks provide a bit more insight into just how much you lose between the second itinerary and the first itinerary?

You will get-- the "repeat" "negatives" with round trips. I never agree, round trip

Vancouver, offers great scenic sailing. EVERY cruise is a compromise.

I am a skewed traveler, as I've done all these itineraries several times, so coming from a different point of view. But I always suggest being open, and not getting caught up in some of the posts which seem to claim- unworthy cruises. :)

Decisions are best based on several factors, time, transportation, tours, budget etc.

Don't be "swayed" easily. :) Some will post- their's was the "best". :) You'll be able to find good reviews on all of them.

Once again, Budget Queen is correct.....The tour trips are very similar and yet different. I too have taken them several times....each way...(Occasionally it is cheaper to sail back to Anchorage (Whittier) rather than flying back from Vancouver or even taking the transfer to Seattle and then going back. Look at it this way....You go down a road and you see A, B, C, and D......going back more or less the same way, you see A, B, C, and D but from a different prospective....Yes, I know there are minor differences but really, I suspect that you will be so overwhelmed that you will have to go and get something to eat or play Bingo.....LOL.......and then go back and see it anew....

I think that you are on the right track - you need to attack this cruise in the following manner -

Time - one way with land tour or RT with port tour

Ports - which ones hold the most interest for you

Glacier Viewing - GB or TA

Ship/Cruise line - the last choice you should make - based on largely on the answers to the above questions.

Time - do you have more than 7 days? - Yes look into the many one way cruises to/from Whittier/Seward to/from Vancouver. With even a couple of extra days you can enhance your cruise by spending some time on the Kenai Peninsula - with a few more days you could see Denali Park. If you don't have more than 7 days I suggest a RT cruise - most of which sail from Seattle where they can handle 3 ships/day (Vancouver can only handle 2 at Canada Place) and most of those are for the various one way cruises. I believe HAL still runs one or two RT out of Vancouver.

As far as the area at the north end of Vancouver Island - Johnstone Strait it is indeed a beautiful place - however most ships on NB cruises hit this area late at night on their first night out. You will wake up the next morning on the north end of the island and enter an area of open ocean before diving into the upper inside passage. On most SB cruises you will go through this area in the late afternoon early evening on the last night of the cruise - you will wake up the next morning in Vancouver.

Now look at the ports - take a look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com for lots of good information on the various AK ports. Also look at http://www.alaskatravel.com and http://www.travelalaska.com

Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay = both are sights to see one is a long narrow winding fjord with a glacier at the end - it is best viewed from an add on excursion in a small boat that can get closer to the glacier and the rest of the features in the Fjord. Glacier Bay is a national park, and contains may glaciers both tidewater and other. The entire bay was once a huge glacier. One way cruises also visit Hubbard Glacier - a large tidewater glacier whose inlet is above (north) of glacier bay - most one way cruises visit it just prior to or just after Glacier Bay. Some one ways also visit Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay (ie NCL' s Sun). Currently only three lines have access rights to Glacier Bay - Princess, HAL, and NCL - Carnival has one or two which they use on their very early season opening cruises.

Enjoy your planning and enjoy AK

Wow, this is all super great information!!! As a person just beginning the process of deciding what cruise to take, I really appreciate you taking the time to outline all of this as you have.