Coral entering Panama Canal

Another Cruise

We are on board the Coral and we are scheduled to enter the Canal around 7 tomorrow morning - Thursday, Sept 28 and will be making a full transit through the canal until around 4 pm when we will dock in Cristobal for a short time. If you go to the Princess web site and select the live web cam for the Coral Bridge you can follow us through the Canal.

Thanks for the reminder - I am constantly watching the Coral bridgecam as it's downloaded onto my desktop. I've been watching it from Juneau to Ketchikan to Glacier Bay and back all summer in anticipation of MY Coral Panama Canal cruise in December. The anticipation makes the workday go faster;)

Well I'm so sad I missed this message yesterday! I have a question on this cruise does the ship in fact navigate thru the Canal? I noticed that there were some posts about people taking an "Ocean-to-Ocean" excursion so I am wondering why do that if the ship goes thru the canal? Just wondering, thank you!

The Coral is now chasing a cargo ship therought the Culebra Cut.

Perki-The Coral does a full transit twice a year. She is now heading to Ft Lauderdale for the winter. From there she will do what is called a partial transit. She will enter the canal through the Gatun Locks, and into Gatun Lake. Then she turns around and sails back out through the locks. Next spring Coral Princess will do a full transit on it's way to Alaska

Perki:

Many of the cruises are "partial transits" whereby the ship enters the canal and proceeds through the locks to Gatun Lake. At that point those who booked the boat tour throught the rest of the canal are tendered off for the tour. The ship then turns around and heads back out stopping at the port for the balance of the day.

On the partial Panama Canal transits the ship only goes through one set of locks and then essentially turns around and goes back through the same locks. On the Ocean to Ocean excursion you get off the ship after going through the first set of locks and get on a smaller boat (much smaller) and proceed through the other 2 sets of locks to the Pacific Ocean. We have done both full transit on a cruise ship and the partial with the Ocean to Ocean excursion. I highly recommend the Ocean to Ocean excursion. You really get "up close and personal" with the locks. Absolutely awesome! On a cruise ship you are just way too high. :eek:

We also did a partial transit through the canal and did the Ocean to ocean excursion. What a fabulous excursion. It is a 200 passenger boat that takes you to the Pacific side and you go through two sets of locks. Highly recommend that excursion. Next year we are doing the repo from FLL to S.F. May 3, 2006 so will see the whole operation on the Coral on the Canal.

Marilyn

I have a great time-lapsed photography video of the Coral bridgecam as it goes thru the canal, followed by the Gatun locks cam showing the transit. Wish I could give credit where it is due, but I don't know who posted this here originally - but I kept a copy. Unfortunately I can't upload it here, it is too big --- but if you want to see it, email me and I'll send the file to you.

Archived