Berlin to Warsaw

PhillyGirl2

Has anyone booked Viking's new itinerary--Berlin to Warsaw? I' m looking forward to it and certainly hope the river is not an issue by July as I don't want a bus tour. I'm thinking that is my last Viking cruise as I have done most of the other itineraries and this one offers some sites that are on my bucket list.

Thanks, yes, I know that a portion will be going from Prague to Krakow and Warsaw, but staying in hotels and being able to walk around the cities and being able to visit Auschwitz is something I look forward to. I have been on several river cruises and have dealt with weather too cold to enjoy the sundeck and being tied up to other ships, so the voyage on the river is not the main focus of this trip, plus three days in Berlin as we are doing a pre-cruise stay. Anyway, I hope that others taking this trip are looking forward to the experiences off the ship, not on it.

plus three days in Berlin as we are doing a pre-cruise stay. Anyway, I hope that others taking this trip are looking forward to the experiences off the ship, not on it.

Berlin is one of our favorite cities in the world and we are headed there in 5 weeks for our 5th visit. It is multi-layered and fascinating. Look into the Berlin Welcome Card (we buy the one with access to the Museums) and seriously consider a private guide. We have spent a few days with Jeremy Minsberg, The Berlin Expert, over the course of our visits and have another day booked with him next month.

Thanks, yes, I know that a portion will be going from Prague to Krakow and Warsaw, but staying in hotels and being able to walk around the cities and being able to visit Auschwitz is something I look forward to. I have been on several river cruises and have dealt with weather too cold to enjoy the sundeck and being tied up to other ships, so the voyage on the river is not the main focus of this trip, plus three days in Berlin as we are doing a pre-cruise stay. Anyway, I hope that others taking this trip are looking forward to the experiences off the ship, not on it.

We did a tour of Poland in 1989 when Solidarity was confronting the Communist government. Everyone was wearing solidarity pins.

We very much enjoyed Poland, Krakow was great. Be prepared for Auschwitz, DW had nightmares for some time after our visit. It will chill you to see some of the exhibits. However, it is a good reminder that evil exists in our world.

Caviargirl--thanks for the tip on the guide. Also thanks for reaffirming my belief and feedback that Poland is a wonderful place to visit. I realize Auschwitz will be a sad, difficult visit, but as a history teacher, I look forward to learning more about a time in history that I can accurately report to my students.

I visited Poland when it was in the process of finding its place as the neighbouring country to a re-united Germany. A fascinating time to visit, when an emerging capitalist economy was establishing itself among what was left of what had been established during communism and a few ruins from world war II that had not been gotten rid of. I loved Gdansk, rebuilt with great effort. Stettin was very interesting.

While I acknowledge the need for gruesome history lessons I myself would prefer to steer of the beaten "history-track" and stop at Küstrin. I recently came across the town as part of a history project (part of my job - nothing to do with teaching). Shockingly, I could not gain much knowledge quickly other than that the town was more or less wiped out during a battle. It is called Kostrzyn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostrzyn_nad_Odr%C4%85 and on a direct line on the map between Berlin and Poznan. If you cross the border there I would like to learn of your experience.

It seems though, that this is the standard Elbe cruise with an enhanced post-cruise experience. Correct?

notamermaid

DH and I did a bus tour 2 years ago (no snarky comments please, it was wonderful for us) that went to Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, and Prague with many wonderful stops in between. We loved every minute of it!!! Our guide grew up behind the iron curtain and was fabulous. It was a tour of a lifetime. We so loved Poland and all the people we met were fantastic and so proud of their country. Poland has a very rich and varied history.

In Auschwitz there are many pictures on the wall of its first prisoners dressed in prison stripes holding their numbers in front of them. They were mainly the local Polish officials from the towns who were all arrested after the **** arrived. As we were walking down the long aisles I happened to glance over and saw a picture of a man with the last name of Gadomski which was the maiden name of my DH mother! Found out later that he (a distant cousin) was the head of the Bar association in Krakow and the Germans told him to disbar all Jewish attorneys and he refused and was sent to Auschwitz. Talk about coincidences.

Most everyone we met along the way was so polite and happy to share stories with us. It is an incredible trip and I know you will have a wonderful time.

Thanks to all who have offered advice and shared their experiences. Yes, I guess this is the standard Elbe trip, which we have done, but have never been to Berlin, so three days before the cruise will allow us to spend some quality time there and as far as the cruise--we have seen some of the ports, and certainly another visit to Prague will be fine. We will just have to explore beyond Prague this time. I guess the bus trip from Prague to Krakow will not be exciting but we did a bus from Budapest to Prague and survived. It allowed us time to read and relax.

• 4 months later...