New to Holland America - Veendam or Rotterdam?

marshaatn

Hello all,

We are experienced cruisers - have sailed Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival and Disney.

We are interested in doing a Canada/New England cruise from Boston to Montreal or vice-versa, probably in September of October of 2016. Itineraries are virtually identical on both ships.

Does anyone have any words of advice on which ship we may enjoy the most for our first HAL sailing?

Thanks for any help!

Marsha

Rotterdam for sure !!!

She is the co-flagship of the fleet and has one of the best and most experienced crews. She is in great shape. She is just the right size, has the mid-ship elevator but not so big. Not a lot of negative reports about A/C or plumbing or mechanical issues.

But the real plus is that she is usually based in Europe and does sailings in Europe in summer and Far East and Canary Islands in winter. This will be her first time in the U.S. for a few years, so I would anticipate the crew to be really excited for some new ports and scenery and thus a really good experience.

Enjoy - she is one of my favorite HAL ships.:):):)

We have cruised on both ships and they are our least favorites among the fleet. And we are not alone as these ships are among the lowest rated here on CC (I think they rank 13th and 14th out of 15 ships among the fleet). On our Rotterdam cruise we were appalled at the lack of maintenance and also dismayed that the aft pool had been removed (and replaced with a giant "bird bath") so they could cram in a few more cabins. Having a single pool on a ship of this size is not a good thing if kids/teens are aboard and take over the single pool. But this might not be an issue on a Canada/NE cruise is cooler weather.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are just off the Veendam two weeks ago and found the crew and condition of the ship excellent. They also just scored a 100% on the CDC inspection and a 99% on the Canadian equivalent. The whole crew was pleased with that. It is a team effort, for sure.

The only two maintenance issues were one elevator in the aft elevator bank out of service waiting for parts, and the sink in the Men's Room in the Crow's Nest out of service - on our last night. Minor issues for something as complex as a cruise ship.

The only two maintenance issues were one elevator in the aft elevator bank out of service waiting for parts, and the sink in the Men's Room in the Crow's Nest out of service - on our last night. Minor issues for something as complex as a cruise ship.

Interesting that the elevator is still out. It broke during our Voyage of the Vikings in August - thought it would be fixed by now.

Interesting that the elevator is still out. It broke during our Voyage of the Vikings in August - thought it would be fixed by now.

I saw it mentioned previously as well. We just walked down one level to the MDR. Good exercise, after dinner, going back up!

Edited by Heartgrove

We have cruised on both ships and they are our least favorites among the fleet. And we are not alone as these ships are among the lowest rated here on CC (I think they rank 13th and 14th out of 15 ships among the fleet).

Hank

Where can I find this ranking of the ships. I am curious to see how they are ranked by CC people.

Where can I find this ranking of the ships. I am curious to see how they are ranked by CC people.

It is buried under the Reviews! We find it by clicking on "Reviews/All Cruise Reviews). At that screen use the "Search by Cruise Line" box and put in HAL. Once you get that screen, on the left side under Holland America Line you will see a highlighted "ships" and you just click on that! There might be an easier way but this is how we do it.

Hank:)

We are just off the Veendam two weeks ago and found the crew and condition of the ship excellent. They also just scored a 100% on the CDC inspection and a 99% on the Canadian equivalent. The whole crew was pleased with that. It is a team effort, for sure.

Quite agree. DW and I were on Veendam for Collectors Cruise in July and found the ship to be in very good shape. Heard only one bad plumbing complaint. Overall positive experience.

The Veendam is the worst ship in the fleet. The Rotterdam is the best.

Yes, the bean counters messed with each, but the Rotterdam is fine, except the rear pool is a wading pool. They show concerts on the big screen on the Rotterdam, whereas the big screen on the Veendam has never worked to my knowledge.

Before you decide search for the thread "the rotting Rotterdam".

I would never ever recommend the Veendam, it is the most hated ship in the fleet. I was on it when it was at rock bottom, just before things really hit the fan. I believe they have spruced it up since but I wouldn't take the risk.

I would not choose either ship, especially if you are new to HAL. These ships are for sale but there are no buyers.

Edited by sammiedawg

Before you decide search for the thread "the rotting Rotterdam".

I would never ever recommend the Veendam, it is the most hated ship in the fleet. I was on it when it was at rock bottom, just before things really hit the fan. I believe they have spruced it up since but I wouldn't take the risk.

I would not choose either ship, especially if you are new to HAL. These ships are for sale but there are no buyers.

Okay, I just read the "rotting Rotterdam" thread and saw nothing that would keep me off that ship. Any why is the Veendam "the most hated ship in the fleet"? I get that some aren't happy with the aft "no pool" area, but what else? I've read a couple of earlier posts in this thread that said the ship was in great shape and her crew was wonderful. I also have a friend who has cruised on her three times, the last one last January on a Hawaii RT cruise, and she says the Veendam is her favorite ship in the fleet.

So, if cruising Canada/New England next year, if one ship is "rotting" and the other is "the most hated ship in the fleet," what would you suggest?

Okay, I just read the "rotting Rotterdam" thread and saw nothing that would keep me off that ship. Any why is the Veendam "the most hated ship in the fleet"? I get that some aren't happy with the aft "no pool" area, but what else? I've read a couple of earlier posts in this thread that said the ship was in great shape and her crew was wonderful. I also have a friend who has cruised on her three times, the last one last January on a Hawaii RT cruise, and she says the Veendam is her favorite ship in the fleet.

So, if cruising Canada/New England next year, if one ship is "rotting" and the other is "the most hated ship in the fleet," what would you suggest?

I would choose another cruise line before I would sail either of these ships.

Hello all,

We are experienced cruisers - have sailed Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival and Disney.

We are interested in doing a Canada/New England cruise from Boston to Montreal or vice-versa, probably in September of October of 2016. Itineraries are virtually identical on both ships.

Does anyone have any words of advice on which ship we may enjoy the most for our first HAL sailing?

Thanks for any help!

Marsha

I would go with Rotterdam if I had a choice between her and VEDM!