If the Price Drops More than TEN PerCent???

sail7seas

Does HAL still honor the policy they had (still have?) that if the price of your cruise drops more than 10% on their own site, you get the benefit of the reduction?

I have not heard that mentioned lately. I also have not heard of many of their prices going down once posted. I've seen lots going up from what originally was the pricing.

You may have hit the proverbial nail right on the head, sail. HAL can't give a price reduction when the prices aren't going down.

I certainly remember that there was a reduction given---even given after final payment was made when the HAL price went down at least 10%.

(Ah! Those were the days!)

I haven't heard that the policy has changed; just the opportunity to apply it.

Thanks, Penny. I was hoping someone could 'document' it had happened to them so know it to be true.

It does seem most prices are rising but here and there have been some cruises which weren'[t selling as well as they might have liked ergo the price drop.

On three of our upcoming cruises, all the "S" are sold out so there's no price comparing to do. I suppose there will be a few cancellations and if I happened to be checking at just the moment one drops back into inventory, I'd be able to see the current price on it.

For sail7seas...

Since March 2005 when we booked our Oct '06 Westerdam cruise, I've watched the HAL website prices fall, rise, and fall again. Originally (Mar. '05) our SC cabin was priced at $2327.88 on the HAL website. Through to July '05 the pricing remained static, so we made out deposit and booked it with our TA (she was able to give us a bit of a discount in addition to the past-passenger reduction because we've sailed on Princess & Cunard). On 8/05/05, I noticed that HAL's website listed our SC cabin at $2067.88. Since this was less than our "reduced" rate from our TA, I phoned her and she was able to get our fare reduced some more. On 8/24/05, HAL's website has our cabin reduced down to $1917.88, so another phone call to our TA lowered our fare again. I WAS THRILLED WITH THE SAVINGS and wondered how low we could go! (Back in 2002 when we sailed on the Pacific Princess, our fare, from the time we booked until the time we made final payment, was reduced to nearly half...most reductions taking place in the week before final payment.)

Fearing that the devestation from Hurricane Katrina & the rapid increase in fuel prices would have some effect on the cruise industry, I checked the HAL website on 9/18/05 and had an OH MY GOSH moment when I saw that the rates for our 2006 cruise had nearly doubled! A phone call to my TA assured me that our cruise fare remained at the $1917.88 rate she had previously secured. Now I was avidly checking the HAL website...something really strange seemed to be going on. On 9/22/05, I noticed that HAL pricing for our SC cabin was back to a more realistic rate of $2067.88 (the same as it was on 8/5/05, but not as low as our secured rate from 8/24/05). At present, the pricing seems to have stabilized, but I still wonder what the fluctuation has been all about!

Debjo

Archived