Best cruise line for young couples??

cjw928

Santa Fe,

I did not mean to offend you in any way. I started sailing HAL when I was 48 (in my 60s now), and I agree that the age make-up on any cruise has a lot to do with destination, price, season, and number of days. I've met people of all ages on HAL. That said, since the OP mentioned being in their 20s, HAL and Celebrity are going to skew older, those are just the facts.

Roz

Santa Fe,

I did not mean to offend you in any way. I started sailing HAL when I was 48 (in my 60s now), and I agree that the age make-up on any cruise has a lot to do with destination, price, season, and number of days. I've met people of all ages on HAL. That said, since the OP mentioned being in their 20s, HAL and Celebrity are going to skew older, those are just the facts.

Roz

No worries. I was not offended. I just wanted to help the OP understand that on Celebrity and HAL not all passengers need walkers and scooters to get around. ;)

You have yet to prove that your favorite cruise line is a better option than Celerity or HAL. Oceania is considered a 'luxury' line and they charge prices that match. Sure, you can sometimes get discounted fares for itineraries that are selling too slowly, which may make Oceania competitive with standard pricing for suite staterooms on Celebrity or HAL. But when compared to similar discounting sometimes available on the mass market lines, they are still much more expensive. For a person with a tight budget - as the OP has told us they have - suggesting an expensive luxury line is not at all helpful. At least not helpful to the OP. It certainly is consistent for your well established "look down you nose" attitude towards the peasants who cruise the lines you are so fond of telling us are well below your high flutin' standards. ;)

Wrong in so many ways.

First off: like Azamara, O is a "premium" line- missing the mark of "luxury" only because it opts for some a la carte choices (e.g., alcohol).

Last year, I posted on CC a fairly comprehensive breakdown of "net daily rate" for a popular Oceania Alaska cruise. In comparing the bottom line, including airfare, value of other items requiring payment on Celebrity et al., O was a few dollars more per passenger. What did you get on O for the few dollars more? Per many experts - "best food at sea," better crew ratio, <700 passengers, perhaps the most restrictive smoking policy at sea, uncompromising civility, etc.

What first got me started on O was the demonstration by two different TAs (both top producers for all three lines), who are highly regarded by Conde Nast Traveler et al., that Oceania has the most "bang for the buck" when it comes to the range of cruise lines from "better mass market" through luxury. O was the best bet for us (and while we may not be peasants, we are by no means rich - hence the extensive price research (on travel and anything else).

Further, urging folks to do the research and make real comparisons (that go beyond mere "cabin cost") is hardly "looking down at someone." Had the two top TAs not pointed us in the right direction and we hadn't followed up with verifying research, we'd have settled for what many consider to be lesser products in so many ways.

And now with "O Life" perks (tips, internet and excursions), O provides almost everything that sister "luxury" Regent has for thousands more in base fair.

Finally, please know that O pays amongst the highest commissions (higher still for top producers) in the industry, allowing for significant TA OBC (not to mention what can only be described as private sales and incentives for first time O cruisers).

So, if OP is looking at lines like Celebrity, s/he should also be looking at O. With the right TA, itinerary and perks, choosing O is a smart move.

Wrong in so many ways.

First off: like Azamara, O is a "premium" line- missing the mark of "luxury" only because it opts for some a la carte choices (e.g., alcohol).

Last year, I posted on CC a fairly comprehensive breakdown of "net daily rate" for a popular Oceania Alaska cruise. In comparing the bottom line, including airfare, value of other items requiring payment on Celebrity et al., O was a few dollars more per passenger. What did you get on O for the few dollars more? Per many experts - "best food at sea," better crew ratio, <700 passengers, perhaps the most restrictive smoking policy at sea, uncompromising civility, etc.

What first got me started on O was the demonstration by two different TAs (both top producers for all three lines), who are highly regarded by Conde Nast Traveler et al., that Oceania has the most "bang for the buck" when it comes to the range of cruise lines from "better mass market" through luxury. O was the best bet for us (and while we may not be peasants, we are by no means rich - hence the extensive price research (on travel and anything else).

Further, urging folks to do the research and make real comparisons (that go beyond mere "cabin cost") is hardly "looking down at someone." Had the two top TAs not pointed us in the right direction and we hadn't followed up with verifying research, we'd have settled for what many consider to be lesser products in so many ways.

And now with "O Life" perks (tips, internet and excursions), O provides almost everything that sister "luxury" Regent has for thousands more in base fair.

Finally, please know that O pays amongst the highest commissions (higher still for top producers) in the industry, allowing for significant TA OBC (not to mention what can only be described as private sales and incentives for first time O cruisers).

So, if OP is looking at lines like Celebrity, s/he should also be looking at O. With the right TA, itinerary and perks, choosing O is a smart move.

I had to go check the prices of Oceania - $1,799 per person for a 7 day Caribbean trip in an inside is not low price. Now, $549 or $749 per person on Carnival, NCL, Royal, MSC, Celebrity or Princess for 7 days in an inside to the Caribbean - that's low price.

Personally, I think the OP is looking for more WOW for their buck to go on more cruises - Oceania is not going to give them the WOW they are looking for, since its more suited for "super formal upscale fun" while they're just looking for more "low brow but toned down fun" like Royal or NCL. Let's be honest - What water slides, rope course, rock climbing walls and 70-80-90-00's dance parties do you see on Oceania? You know what cruise lines have that? Royal, NCL, & Carnival with Royal & NCL having the party vibe a bit toned down more than Carnival because some of their ships are bigger with the fares / extras a bit more costlier by like $5-50 a day.

Edit - They're in their 20's not 40's or 50's - Those 3 cruise lines plus Princess, Celebrity and MSC fits them more right now than Oceania which is more for people past their 30's that want quiet fun without alot of noise in the evening (dance hall partying). Oceania is fine, just not for the OP right now - maybe when she and her SO are older plus figure out what their likes / dislikes in cruising / travel are, then Oceania suggestion will make more sense. But not right now - OP sounds like a they want fun physical activities like rock climbing that Oceania just doesn't have. Heck, even Celebrity comes out better than Oceania for them - they still have parties and dance clubs there without dressing up too formally over there,

Edited by maywell

cjw, I am a newbie as well but felt the need to jump in for a couple reasons:

1. You sound exactly like my wife and me. We are 27/28 and have never been on a cruise but just booked our first one for next June (anniversary trip), on the Escape! We are also very detail-oriented, budget-conscious, love the food/shows but not clubbing.

2. One of the responders, SuiteTraveler, mentioned NCL being most like Aria in Las Vegas… We love Las Vegas and especially Aria, which is our ‘Vegas home.’ Reading that makes me very confident in our choice to sail the Norwegian Escape!

As a newcomer to these boards, I’ve found many many many opinions. I think you will be much better equipped to answer some of your questions after you cruise on the Escape in January. One thing that some people have cautioned me on is that we won’t want to move ‘down’ to older ships after going on the Escape. So, that might be a consideration in looking to the future. Is there a rush to book something else, or can you wait to see how the first one goes? I definitely understand the excitement around researching and booking your next vacation!

FWIW, my grandfather and his wife cruise somewhat frequently, as they live in Vero Beach. I spoke with her about our plans, and she steered me toward Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. She said, as others here have, that Holland is for older people and we wouldn’t fit in. She also was very adamant about us avoiding Carnival… I’m sure there will be backlash from some about that, but that’s one experienced cruiser’s opinion. (If anybody wants to ask me ‘on what grounds,’ I don’t know… I trust that she had my best interests at heart and didn’t ask for details.)

You mention being willing to pay for an upgrade if it’s worth it. I was wondering what kind of room you booked, which is another hotly debated topic it seems.

Enjoy your planning and the big trip in January!

Edited by Ray3127

Regarding the "luxury" label, these sources agree with PTMary, not you (note that Cruise Critic is one of them). There are more, but this random list gives a good representation:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-8/articles.cfm?ID=5

http://travel.usnews.com/cruises/best-cruise-lines/

http://cruises.orbitz.com/promotion/luxury-cruises.do

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/luxury-cruises/

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/best-luxury-cruise-lines-article-1.1606115

http://luxurycruiseratings.com/latest-ratings-of-worlds-top-ten-cruise-lines/

Edited by SantaFeFan

I had to go check the prices of Oceania - $1,799 per person for a 7 day Caribbean trip in an inside is not low price. Now, $549 or $749 per person on Carnival, NCL, Royal, MSC, Celebrity or Princess for 7 days in an inside to the Caribbean - that's low price.

Personally, I think the OP is looking for more WOW for their buck to go on more cruises - Oceania is not going to give them the WOW they are looking for, since its more suited for "super formal upscale fun" while they're just looking for more "low brow but toned down fun" like Royal or NCL. Let's be honest - What water slides, rope course, rock climbing walls and 70-80-90-00's dance parties do you see on Oceania? You know what cruise lines have that? Royal, NCL, & Carnival with Royal & NCL having the party vibe a bit toned down more than Carnival because some of their ships are bigger with the fares / extras a bit more costlier by like $5-50 a day.

Edit - They're in their 20's not 40's or 50's - Those 3 cruise lines plus Princess, Celebrity and MSC fits them more right now than Oceania which is more for people past their 30's that want quiet fun without alot of noise in the evening (dance hall partying). Oceania is fine, just not for the OP right now - maybe when she and her SO are older plus figure out what their likes / dislikes in cruising / travel are, then Oceania suggestion will make more sense. But not right now - OP sounds like a they want fun physical activities like rock climbing that Oceania just doesn't have. Heck, even Celebrity comes out better than Oceania for them - they still have parties and dance clubs there without dressing up too formally over there,

You may have forgotten the included airfare on O. Right now, flights from the west coast to Miami around the Christmas vacation time are running about $800 round trip. So subtract $800 (for the included O airfare) from your $1799 O quote and your balance is $999. Then subtract the value of tips (about $100/person for 7 days on mass market) and unlimited internet (minimally $150) provided by O or TA, and beverages+2 specialty dinners (guessing at least another $75/person). Your net O cost is now in the $600s. AND no crowds, bad food, nickel diming, etc..

Driving to the port. O will give you air credit $ (don't know how much for this routing).

And we haven't even talked about extra TA OBC!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I cruise both Carnival and Holland America. I would not immediately dismiss Carnival. It's a good value for the money. Carnival helps me to stretch my vacation dollars. I don't have the same expectations when I step on Carnival as I do on HAL. The Carnival cruises that are at least 7 days tend to have a different vibe and crowd on them as opposed to the shorter, more party-oriented 3-4 day cruises. I was on a 12-day Hawaiian cruise on Carnival that attracted the same demographic as Holland America. My best Alaskan cruise was an 8-day last year on the Miracle.

Roz

FWIW, my grandfather and his wife cruise somewhat frequently, as they live in Vero Beach. I spoke with her about our plans, and she steered me toward Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. She said, as others here have, that Holland is for older people and we wouldn’t fit in. She also was very adamant about us avoiding Carnival… I’m sure there will be backlash from some about that, but that’s one experienced cruiser’s opinion. (If anybody wants to ask me ‘on what grounds,’ I don’t know… I trust that she had my best interests at heart and didn’t ask for details.)

Listen to your grandfather's wife, she's right especially regarding Carnival - its love it or hate it line because of the passengers. Think about the "bad" Walmart customers that don't know how to MYOB - that's Carnival's passengers in a nutshell.You're either going to tolerate that or not. (I tolerated it once - I'm not going to tolerate it again for couple of years or ever, especially if I'm traveling solo).

Pay the extra $5-50 more and go Royal or NCL - you get more out your basic fare with them and have a choice of paying for extras if you want than Carnival, where you might not get much choices to even spend extra for a nice meal on most of their ships (most of the Carnival ships have just one extra-cost steakhouse while most Royal & NCL have a couple of different extra-cost restaurants). True, the 3 lines are more similar than different but its the differences that sets the 2 lines apart from Carnival - Royal & NCL have way more bigger ships than Carnival; have Broadway shows, good live music performances in various spots on the ship and have more WoW factor such as dining, rock climbing walls, water slides, etc than Carnival.

I know some Carnival posters may not like my opinion of the line - that's the beauty of cruising, there's a cruise line(s) for any particular reasons and occasions for anyone. Personally, I don't mind paying $5-50 a day more on NCL or Royal since most of the 'masses' thinks its too ridiculous expensive anyway.

You may have forgotten the included airfare on O. Right now, flights from the west coast to Miami around the Christmas vacation time are running about $800 round trip. So subtract $800 (for the included O airfare) from your $1799 O quote and your balance is $999. Then subtract the value of tips (about $100/person for 7 days on mass market) and unlimited internet (minimally $150) provided by O or TA, and beverages+2 specialty dinners (guessing at least another $75/person). Your net O cost is now in the $600s. AND no crowds, bad food, nickel diming, etc..

Driving to the port. O will give you air credit $ (don't know how much for this routing).

And we haven't even talked about extra TA OBC!

The OP doesn't need to fly to Miami port since they're in Daytona Beach anyway. The $1,799 pp I quoted from was from Miami to Caribbean for 7 days in an inside - did it not occurred to you maybe they want to spend the $1,799 pp on a suite with a balcony on NCL or Royal that gives them close to same level of service found on Oceania's inside? With free Broadway shows included and 17+ different dining options to boot? Plus Royal and NCL (Celebrity too, since it part of Royal line of business) usually have a drink and dining promos as part of the fare. Let's not forget, that even though Oceania is part of NCL Holding,they don't have the same membership program link like Royal / Celebrity / Azamara do.

I don't why you think $1,799 per person for a 7 day inside to the Caribbean is cheap - Now $1,799 per person inside for a 20 day trip going anywhere, that's dirt cheap. I mean, really, Oceania is not cheap or a good fit for someone that young that wants to have fun via dancing/partying to Reggaeton or like while dressing down, not up. Does Oceania even play 70/80/90/00 dance, rock, hip-hop, pop music at night to for a 20-something year to party to? No, they don't...

Listen to your grandfather's wife, she's right especially regarding Carnival - its love it or hate it line because of the passengers. Think about the "bad" Walmart customers that don't know how to MYOB - that's Carnival's passengers in a nutshell.You're either going to tolerate that or not. (I tolerated it once - I'm not going to tolerate it again for couple of years or ever, especially if I'm traveling solo).

Pay the extra $5-50 more and go Royal or NCL - you get more out your basic fare with them and have a choice of paying for extras if you want than Carnival, where you might not get much choices to even spend extra for a nice meal on most of their ships (most of the Carnival ships have just one extra-cost steakhouse while most Royal & NCL have a couple of different extra-cost restaurants). True, the 3 lines are more similar than different but its the differences that sets the 2 lines apart from Carnival - Royal & NCL have way more bigger ships than Carnival; have Broadway shows, good live music performances in various spots on the ship and have more WoW factor such as dining, rock climbing walls, water slides, etc than Carnival.

I know some Carnival posters may not like my opinion of the line - that's the beauty of cruising, there's a cruise line(s) for any particular reasons and occasions for anyone. Personally, I don't mind paying $5-50 a day more on NCL or Royal since most of the 'masses' thinks its too ridiculous expensive anyway.

I understand your dislike of Carnival and am glad that you have found NCL to your liking. However, I do not understand why you feel the need to insult the people who do like other cruiselines. Really not necessary. You make some great points in your posts but sheesh, no need to be nasty.

I understand your dislike of Carnival and am glad that you have found NCL to your liking. However, I do not understand why you feel the need to insult the people who do like other cruiselines. Really not necessary. You make some great points in your posts but sheesh, no need to be nasty.

I can dismiss tipping, smoking, dress code, etc. threads but trashing another line is my biggest pet peeve on CC and, like you, feel it is unnecessary.

NCL, RCCL, or Carnival, in no particular order should be the lines you consider for the desires you posted.

Mainly because with the research I've done and knowing folks who cruise exclusively on Carnival, and exclusively on NCL (the DW and I are exclusive to RCCL) if you strip every thing away they are all three the same product.

Reading posts here and doing research you are going to find conflicting answers to just about every question. I've never been on a "bad" cruise via RCCL, but I have been on outstanding ones. It really just depends on the crew (and where they are in their contract) and the group of passengers you happen to cruise with. Both of which are totally out of your control. People I personally know will tell you the same about Carnival and NCL.

If you start cruising regularly you are going to end up with the same opinion. You will have that cruise that was literally the best vacation ever, same ship, same itinerary the following month or year and it may be better or worse. As you get more cruises under your belt, you will start to rank them.

How's that for some non-advice advice. :D

Here is some advice I can give you. DON'T be loyal to any ONE brand, I really wish we weren't loyal to Royal, and we won't be once we hit Diamond. But we are chasing Diamond status, for no real good reason other than it would kind of be nice.

The short: I'd love to hear your opinions on which cruises you've loved most! Lots of fun, little bit of relaxing, drinks, and great food sounds perfect to us. I'm also extremely detail orientated, so paying more to get more is 110% worth it to us.

We'd love to hear your stories, advice, warnings, and esp your opinions!

We have cruised on three different lines so far and will be on HAL for the first time next year for a unique 14 day Alaska itinerary. Each cruise was a wonderful experience and we learned a lot by trying different cruise lines.

You are well placed, living in Florida as you do, to try different cruise lines and discover which one you prefer. We prefer Royal Caribbean. So far, it has been a much better overall experience for us since we like the perks offered for suite guests. But, that could change as we explore other lines.

You might enjoy visiting my wife's website at the links below. It might help you make a decision.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

The short: I'd love to hear your opinions on which cruises you've loved most!

A bit longer: I've only ever been Royal Caribbean way back in 2004 when I was just a kid, so I know practically nothing about the current market for cruises. My husbands been on a couple Carnival cruises back around the same time I was on my cruise. We're going in Jan on the brand new Norwegian Escape and we're already planning our next one. Only problem is we know NOTHING about the other lines, not even the ones we've been on really.

A little about us: We're young, mid 20's so budget is really important to us; we're not made of money just yet lol. We love adventure & being outdoors, we're foodies who love fine dining, we love shows, night life is fun but we hate clubbing, tech stuff makes everything more fun, and we love trying new things.

Lots of fun, little bit of relaxing, drinks, and great food sounds perfect to us. I'm also extremely detail orientated, so paying more to get more is 110% worth it to us.

We'd love to hear your stories, advice, warnings, and esp your opinions!

Cruise agent here..been on all except Costa & MSC..IMO, NCL or RCI would be ideal for you..MAKE SURE you get the specialty dining package for FREE on the Escape! Le Bistro ( French), Teppanyaki ( Japanese Hibachi steakhouse), Cagney's ( steakhouse), Moderno's ( Brazilian) are outstanding & entertainment is OUTSTANDING! I just sent 4 couples on the NCL Getaway in June..these people were all experienced cruisers who had been on the RCI Oasis, Allure, Princess, and others...ALL 4 couples told me the Getaway was the best cruise they had ever been on to date! Best food, best shows, best service..Wow- I was blown away!! Another couple , who are good friends, have done the NCL Breakaway twice, & loved it both times...RCI would a great choice, too..go on the Oasis, Allure, Freedom class ships to start..BUT, they don't offer all the free choices NCL does like free specialty dining, or free alcohol, etc...I believe Holland American, Princess, & Celebrity, which are all fine cruise lines, would be too "mature" for you both...Burn The Floor, Legally Blonde, Illusionarium on the Getaway has gotten high marks..I, too, love shows, but hate the high tech stuff in discos..also, NCL has O'Sheehans Irish Pub, where all the food is free 24/7..great fish & chips, wings & ribs, along with great beer...LOVE the Waterfront concept on deck 8 , where you can dine or drink inside OR outside over looking the sea- wonderful!!! Carnival Breeze is OK, but I think the ships I mentioned are a better fit..try & get a balcony...more romance & enhances the cruise experience 10x more than a boring, dark & uneventful inside cabin..

Big Al

I wish a could find another thread that I read a while back. But I'll never forget one of the folks responding to a question about the age of HAL cruisers. This may be exact but here is it is: Older people cruise on Celebrity line. Their parents sail on Holland America. Priceless!

I wish a could find another thread that I read a while back. But I'll never forget one of the folks responding to a question about the age of HAL cruisers. This may be exact but here is it is: Older people cruise on Celebrity line. Their parents sail on Holland America. Priceless!

When I put a review of our HAL Westerdam cruise in 2006, I wrote that the average age was "death"..not kidding..the other thing I joked about was that it was the first cruise I ever saw Metamucil on draft, lol...although we were 54 & 52, average age was 20-25 years more than us! EVERYONE on board was either in a wheel chair, walker or cane...nothing wrong with seniors- I'm one now, HAL, Celebrity & Princess for sure attract simply an older crowd, as Carnival, NCL, Disney & RCI attract younger crowds & families or singles...the new HAL Koningsdam looks terrific, I will say...

Big Al

If you want excellent food and service, without breaking the bank, think Oceania. More than anything else, the vibe is more "educated/professional and well traveled" rather than "old vs young crowd." Included amenities such as airfare make O a better option when looking at lines like Celebrity or HAL.

I just looked up Oceana and with last min deals like $1899+ w/ lots of included perks, this looks like a wonderful option. I didnt, however, see free airfare.

Question though:

We're very much interested in lines such as Oceana and Crystal but it's hard to get a good feel for how the cruise atmosphere would be on either. We're foodies, so top notch cuisine is very attractive to us and well worth a little extra money but we're young and late night drinking is also very attractive to us. These higher cost cruise lines seem a bit intimidating to us due to our age. The last thing we want is to disrupt people but (being honest here) even though we're not the night club type, we do get a little loud when drinking and the last thing we want is to draw unwanted attention. These brands are attractive to us but we get this feeling that only the 'well behaved' high brow cruiser uses these brands.

Is that true? Would people on these ships look down on 20-somethings who like to ''have a good time''? Stuffy isn't what we're looking for but neither is value brand. Well behaved people during the day that like to let loose at night is who we are.

You have yet to prove that your favorite cruise line is a better option than Celerity or HAL. Oceania is considered a 'luxury' line and they charge prices that match. Sure, you can sometimes get discounted fares for itineraries that are selling too slowly, which may make Oceania competitive with standard pricing for suite staterooms on Celebrity or HAL. But when compared to similar discounting sometimes available on the mass market lines, they are still much more expensive. For a person with a tight budget - as the OP has told us they have - suggesting an expensive luxury line is not at all helpful. At least not helpful to the OP. It certainly is consistent for your well established "look down you nose" attitude towards the peasants who cruise the lines you are so fond of telling us are well below your high flutin' standards. ;)

I appreciate you weighing in. Maybe putting a price on our budget, however loose, would lessen the confusion? We're looking for something under $2500, 7-12 day and we're fine with ocean view although a balcony is preferred. The cruise we have booked now, which we booked well in advance was $899 for an ocean view, which took us some time to save up for. My goal in this thread is to get a better feel for all the brands, aside from the ones that we can't afford like you mentioned. We certainly can't afford $3000+ or Regents $9000/per person price tag even with free airfare. We're not objecting to last min deals though and free perks are pure gold haha.

Thank you for helping us with this. The advice we've been getting in invaluable!

Santa Fe,

Roz

The two best ships for an Alaskan cruise, or so I've read, is HAL and Princess. Assuming this is accurate and based on your opinions of HAL, would you say that Princess is a better fit if we chose Alaska as our next cruise?

No worries. I was not offended. I just wanted to help the OP understand that on Celebrity and HAL not all passengers need walkers and scooters to get around. ;)

Thank you for the clarification! While we're not looking for an older cruise (70's+) we're REALLY trying to avoid younger cruises (kids, teens, college age). We've never fit in with our own age group and to be honest we'd probably stay in our room if it was too rowdy. Our issues tend to be with noise level then age. We'd much prefer a nice long talk over some cocktails with an older couple then a dance party 'til midnight with other 20 year olds. On the other hand, if line dancing is the highlight to the cruise then we also picked wrong. ;)

Since Alaska is more about the destination than the ship or cruise line, you'll do fine with either one. I think HAL's itineraries are more interesting than Princess. You'll find multi-generational families on both lines.

Roz

My husband and I are 40's/early 50's. We first started cruising in our 20's. Our first cruise was aboard Majesty of the Seas- a relatively new ship at the time we cruised on her. We were on our honeymoon so I guess we fit the "newlywed or nearly dead" demographic.

We had a break from cruising (husband was in military and wasn't a big fan of ships for awhile) and then started cruising every couple of years. We usually cruise with my family (parents 70's, Brother and SIL 30's/40's and 2 nieces 10 and 5 currently). We have cruised on Royal Caribbean (Mariner OTS x2 and Freedom OTS x1). We have also sailed Celebrity Solstice x2.

We enjoy both lines. They are in the same family of ownership so there are some similarities.

If you are looking for a more refined cruising experience where there is still plenty to do, but not necessarily a "club" vibe- you may enjoy Celebrity. Especially with budget considerations, don't count Celebrity out. Many folks think Celebrity is more expensive. I have found time and time again that Celebrity offers a great value for the money and is often less expensive that Royal on itineraries that I want. We usually just do the Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary.

Our last cruise on the Freedom was a great experience. Lots of 20 something couples, 30's couples and families. Food was pretty good. We enjoyed our experiences in Chops and Sabor. My husband loved Giovanni's Table. I was a bit underwhelmed with the experience. Just personal preferences.

Anyhow, just pick a cruise and go with it. Don't stress yourself out playing the comparison game. It sounds like maybe you just want to get a feel for what you like, and then maybe you will cruise again.

Lots of variables can influence things. Your cabin, your choices of Anytime Dining vs traditional dining. Do you want to be a sun goddess, or will you spend a lot of time indoors or on excursions? Decide what is the most important thing to you and then buy the best you can afford for this experience.

I don't think you can go wrong with Celebrity or Royal based on what you seem to want.

No matter what, for the most part, even a less than perfect cruise is better than being at work.

cjw, I am a newbie as well but felt the need to jump in for a couple reasons:

1. You sound exactly like my wife and me. We are 27/28 and have never been on a cruise but just booked our first one for next June (anniversary trip), on the Escape! We are also very detail-oriented, budget-conscious, love the food/shows but not clubbing.

2. One of the responders, SuiteTraveler, mentioned NCL being most like Aria in Las Vegas… We love Las Vegas and especially Aria, which is our ‘Vegas home.’ Reading that makes me very confident in our choice to sail the Norwegian Escape!

As a newcomer to these boards, I’ve found many many many opinions. I think you will be much better equipped to answer some of your questions after you cruise on the Escape in January. One thing that some people have cautioned me on is that we won’t want to move ‘down’ to older ships after going on the Escape. So, that might be a consideration in looking to the future. Is there a rush to book something else, or can you wait to see how the first one goes? I definitely understand the excitement around researching and booking your next vacation!

You mention being willing to pay for an upgrade if it’s worth it. I was wondering what kind of room you booked, which is another hotly debated topic it seems.

Enjoy your planning and the big trip in January!

Ray- Thank you so much for your reply! It really does seem we have a lot in common. My husband and I are both 27 and he has an aunt in Vero beach. We're not planning on changing from the Escape, rather this wonderful ship has excited us so much that we're already looking to see what's next! I've had the same warnings from people regarding going on such a nice ship first off, that we wont want anything else afterwards. I've been on 1 cruise years ago, and at the time it was a brand new Royal Caribbean ship that I fell in love with. My husband has been on Carnival twice (when he was young) and RC once. He loved Carnival and if I didn't find the Escape we would have booked the Carnival one. My mother warned me from Carnival just like you were & without much detail either, only that with all the kids running around we would be aggravated. I've also pieced together that Carnival, although they have very temping price tags, dont have as much for our specific age group. Whereas younger millennials might jump at the thought of the 'bloat boat' and binge drinking, I've found that older millennials like us dont care much for the ultimate party atmosphere 24/7. I think NCL is the perfect ship for blending party with high brow fun, since it's a bit more put together then some other ''value'' ships.

The reason for this thread is double sided. I know how amazing the Escape looks and the NCL has high marks in certain areas but food, which is really important to us, has gotten some pretty 'meh' marks. I've read and heard that Celebrity has the best marks for food, so my curiosity for these luxury ships has grown. And on the other side, I'm really curious to see what people think of NCL and if we made the right choice. Whether we chose to go with NCL again or a different line will wait until we get back in Jan from the Escape. I do hope to be on another ship sometime in 2017, maybe a family trip with our parents.. who knows.

I love research and I find that the best vacations come from the best planning, which is why I never stop asking questions. Thanks for your reply, it confirmed a lot of why we booked on the Escape and now I'm more excited then ever!! Have fun on your cruise as well!

I just looked up Oceana and with last min deals like $1899+ w/ lots of included perks, this looks like a wonderful option. I didnt, however, see free airfare.

Question though:

We're very much interested in lines such as Oceana and Crystal but it's hard to get a good feel for how the cruise atmosphere would be on either. We're foodies, so top notch cuisine is very attractive to us and well worth a little extra money but we're young and late night drinking is also very attractive to us. These higher cost cruise lines seem a bit intimidating to us due to our age. The last thing we want is to disrupt people but (being honest here) even though we're not the night club type, we do get a little loud when drinking and the last thing we want is to draw unwanted attention. These brands are attractive to us but we get this feeling that only the 'well behaved' high brow cruiser uses these brands.

Is that true? Would people on these ships look down on 20-somethings who like to ''have a good time''? Stuffy isn't what we're looking for but neither is value brand. Well behaved people during the day that like to let loose at night is who we are.

Usually, unless you specify " cruise only" pricing (or a TA's e-mail says "cruise only" special, O's regular "free airfare" is included. If you'd rather arrange your own air, O gives you a $ credit against the published airfare. Because we extend our vacation with land stays pre/post cruise, we have always taken the credit. Call your TA or O to verify if the cost includes the air.

As for age, we've seen young families with small children on recent O Alaska and Med 10 day summertime cruises. And the younger folks I've had conversations with have tended to be world-wise and interested in discussions other than "how 'bout them 'Niners?"

I'm glad you're looking at the big picture "net cost" with everything you plan on needing/doing figured in. The nickle/diming on some lines really adds up.

And, as for the food quality, I'd put O's cuisine on a par with any 2.5 star SF Chronicle reviewed restaurant. (That's actually a very good mark in SF).

Also as foodies, you should check out the culinary classes on the two larger ships (Riviera and Marina).

So, bottom line: no hordes, photogs, art shows, water slides, rock walls, limitless smokers, bad food, incessant announcements, musicals with Broadway wannabes, etc. In short, if you prefer a day in Charleston, SF or NOLA to a day in Vegas or Orlando, O may be for you.

NOTE: in looking at current O cruises in 2016, do check out those with included "O Life": tips/internet/excursions (at no extra cost).