Do we need passports for this cruise?

S'moreParty

My husband and I have passports, but we only have birth certificates for my 12 year old sons.

We'd be doing Disney from Port Canaveral, FL to Western Caribbean.

Can we get away with just using our boys' birth certificates (long story why passports are a real hassle for us).

Thanks for the help!

Alley

My husband and I have passports' date=' but we only have birth certificates for my 12 year old sons.

Can we get away with just using our boys' birth certificates (long story why passports are a real hassle for us).

Thanks for the help!

Alley[/quote']

The minimum requirement (legally) for US citizens on a closed loop cruise (one that begins and ends in the same US port), is a birth certificate, plus (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

However, if there were an issue and you had to fly home from one of the foreign ports, you cannot fly without a passport.

I'm in the "passport is best" camp, but it's your call.

Using your words, you can "get away with" not having passports for 12 year old kids provided that there are no emergencies and you all return to Port Canaveral on the ship. A passport is not required for this "closed loop" cruise.

However, in an emergency obtaining an emergency passport from a US Embassy or Consulate is one more hassle that you don't need.

I'm curious then. . . what happens if you're out of the country and lose your passport or have it stolen.

If you need to get on a plane get back home' date=' how would you do it?

Alley[/quote']

I can tell you! It happened to me.

You have to apply for a replacement passport at the closest embassy. Hopefully there's one in the city you are in. Then you wait while they confirm with sources "back home" that there is such a person as you, that you did have a passport, and you are currently traveling somewhere.

I was extremely lucky, because I was traveling with my mother (who still had her passport). She could vouch for me. It only took 3 days to get the replacement. Without her being able to confirm who I was, it would have taken much longer.

If you have plane reservations, and don't have a passport, you'll have to either change or cancel that flight and book another one.

I'm curious then. . . what happens if you're out of the country and lose your passport or have it stolen.

If you need to get on a plane get back home' date=' how would you do it?

Alley[/quote']

Yes, you need it to get on the plane from a foreign country. If your passport is lost or stolen, it can be replaced at a US Embassy or Consulate. It is helpful if you have a photocopy or a passport card, but not necessary. One thing that we've had to do is take a photo of your passport photo page and e-mail it to yourself. That way it is saved to your electronics and generally available when you need it.

As my daughter was studying abroad, we needed this electronic copy to be sent to her school as well as to the company that shipped her stuff back home. But the electronic copy would also facilitate getting a replacement passport in the same way that a photocopy does.

I think the most important part is that some people do not recognise the difference between vacationing in the states and going abroad!

As Dorothy said, You ain't in Kansas anymore!

You are in international waters or a foreign country, and only by some dumb revenue generating lobbyists from the cruise lines are able to cruise without a passport.

If you need to get back home during the cruise you are stuck dealing with bureaucracy and paperwork before you can fly back. (USCG medivac excepted) so why take the risk when you are spending thousands of dollars on a cruise.

unless you like to gamble.

ex techie

My husband and I have passports' date=' but we only have birth certificates for my 12 year old sons.

Thanks for the help!

Alley[/quote']

Alley, is your husband also the father of your sons? Reading between the lines here....but if not, AND if your passport no longer reads the same exact name as what it is listed on your boys's BCs, bring along a certified copy of the name change (such as the marriage license) so you have documented proof that you are their mother. It may not be necessary or asked for, but it could be and you just don't want to have that hassle upon boarding.

Alley, is your husband also the father of your sons? Reading between the lines here....but if not, AND if your passport no longer reads the same exact name as what it is listed on your boys's BCs, bring along a certified copy of the name change (such as the marriage license) so you have documented proof that you are their mother. It may not be necessary or asked for, but it could be and you just don't want to have that hassle upon boarding.

Thank you for asking. Boring -- and very annoying -- story:

Husband "disowned" his own dad (scary alcoholic) and dropped his last name and went only by his first and middle. But he never made time to make it official.

We gave our boys the middle name husband goes by. (But, again, all official documents have his dad's last name.)

I still have my maiden name -- because all of this was supposed to get fixed countless times.

We cruised w/ this problem w/ Disney in '07. We received passports for our boys, my husband, and myself. We had no problem securing passports. None.

When we cruised w/ Royal Caribbean last year, the passport office wouldn't issue our kids a passport -- because his official last name and mine are different from our biological kids. We tried and tried and finally used their birth certificates.

This time we're sailing w/ Disney and I'm hoping birth certs. will work. I'm getting my name officially changed since my husband has dragged his feet for sooooo long. (No emotional reason; his work stuff just kept getting in his way and he didn't make it a priority.)

I planned on changing my maiden to match his middle name once he'd made everything official. It finally dawned on stupid me that I should just go ahead and fix my own name to match my kids' name.

Is this absolutely ridiculous?! I've moved from frustrated and mad to I-need-to-get-my-name-fixed. But nothing can happen in time for the November cruise. :(

And, yes, I feel very stupid.

Alley

Alley, we all have those "wish I'd done this 6 months ago" stories. Enjoy your cruise. A certified birth certificate is all that is required. IF you still have the expired passports from the boys, take them along. They have no legal value, but might help expedite things in an emergency. And if you have filed for a name change but it hasn't come thru yet, take that paperwork as well.

Chances are that no one will ever ask to see any of the stuff you'll bring, but never hurts to have it. And caution the boys that Customs officials are not to be "messed with." This is NOT the time for a smart ass remark if they are asked a question. We had our stuff searched once after the agent asked if we had any livestock, plant or animal products, etc. and someone I love replied "Just my pet bird." Fortunately, she came up with a straight answer when the guy asked her who I was.

Alley' date=' we all have those "wish I'd done this 6 months ago" stories. Enjoy your cruise. A certified birth certificate is all that is required. IF you still have the expired passports from the boys, take them along. They have no legal value, but might help expedite things in an emergency. And if you have filed for a name change but it hasn't come thru yet, take that paperwork as well.

Chances are that no one will ever ask to see any of the stuff you'll bring, but never hurts to have it. And caution the boys that Customs officials are not to be "messed with." This is NOT the time for a smart ass remark if they are asked a question. We had our stuff searched once after the agent asked if we had any livestock, plant or animal products, etc. and someone I love replied "Just my pet bird." Fortunately, she came up with a straight answer when the guy asked her who I was.[/quote']

Thank you Moki'sMommy. I was too passive in this entire scenario. I just kept thinking my husband would get on the ball and then I'd make the necessary changes. He focuses at work and tends to lose track of administrative things like making his name change legal. :mad:

"Just the pet bird" is HILARIOUS!!! Thanks for sharing.

I have to add: on our Disney cruise my 4 year old fell out of the bunk while sleeping. (They're not secure which is mind blowing.)

Anyway, we took the ambulance excursion into Cozumel -- where we were at port for the day -- and saw the cleanest, shiniest hospital/medical set up EVER. Disney has one heck of an arrangement w/ a medical group. We were worried about a concussion, but he turned out to be fine.

Also, my brother in law is a Coast Guard helicopter pilot. If someone is sick at sea, I think the Coast Guard picks up the sick person. But where do they deposit them? No idea. I'll ask my brother in law.

Thanks everyone!

Alley

Tell the cabin steward that you want "double rails" on the bunk. That way' date=' they extend the full length of the bed rather than just the center portion.

Generally, USCG does the pick up. Transport is typically to a US hospital in the Miami or Orlando area.[/quote']

I wonder if S'moreParty meant the railing came away from the side of the bunk? i.e the railing wasn't secured properly?

That would explain why DCL picked up the tab for an expensive hospital if it was their fault?

Otherwise I would think the liability would be on the Guest to ensure their child would be able to sleep in the bunk without falling out, and on their insurance?

ex techie

Even if you did have passports for your kids. I was recommend that you have every conceivable official (with the official seal not photocopies) proving that your kids are your kids and not someone elses. And insurance in case some of the people are not allowed on the boat.

Not having any of the names match and not having any remarriages to explain the name changes, would be one of the things that the Cast Members might not want to risk and will most likely have to have a manager approve.

I can't believe your husband did not have an official name change back when you got married, both the husband and wife can have official name changes with out having to go thru a court order. The wife and I took a whole day off and changed everything and of all the places to cause problems was the DMV. But the lady was eventually told by her manager that the husband can change his name with out an court order.

The minimum requirement (legally) for US citizens on a closed loop cruise (one that begins and ends in the same US port), is a birth certificate, plus (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

However, if there were an issue and you had to fly home from one of the foreign ports, you cannot fly without a passport.

I'm in the "passport is best" camp, but it's your call.

Agree. A passport is one of those things that's better to have and need not than need and have not. IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're travelling outside your home country, ALWAYS have a passport. I can't stress this enough, although others have pretty much said the same thing. ;)

Yes, a passport is the best way to go. But, OP asked "Can we get away with just using our boys' birth certificates". Legally, the answer is yes.