Help Understanding Stewards/Tipping, etc.

Mysticks1

I am taking my first cruise on the Carnival Conquest 10/30/05. I am scouring the boards for information and am a little confused by the thread about taking back tips from the steward for the supposedly missing drinks. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=183638

I am new to this so would like a little direction from the seasoned travelers here. ( I know opinions will vary.:) )

1.) What exactly should be expected of your steward other than keeping your room clean? I've seen comments where they seem to go out of their way for you and some that said service was bad.

2.) How do you page them if you do need assistance?

3.) If I want to have the fridge cleaned out is there some form I should received stating I am not responsible for any of those contents?

I've always tipped according to the service I receive so I am at a loss as to how to determine if my service is acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any and all of your comments. I have learned so much from all of you so far. :D

I am taking my first cruise on the Carnival Conquest 10/30/05. I am scouring the boards for information and am a little confused by the thread about taking back tips from the steward for the supposedly missing drinks. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=183638

I am new to this so would like a little direction from the seasoned travelers here. ( I know opinions will vary.:) )

1.) What exactly should be expected of your steward other than keeping your room clean? I've seen comments where they seem to go out of their way for you and some that said service was bad.

2.) How do you page them if you do need assistance?

3.) If I want to have the fridge cleaned out is there some form I should received stating I am not responsible for any of those contents?

I've always tipped according to the service I receive so I am at a loss as to how to determine if my service is acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any and all of your comments. I have learned so much from all of you so far. :D

Ignore that thread it is one incident in millions of cruises.

1) The steward is responsible for the cleanliness of your room, providing you with the daily capers or other paperwork that may be required, turn down service, mint on your pillow, towel animals, clean "Carnival" towels and keeping your ice bucket full. The steward should introduce him/herself to you at the beginning of the cruise and check if anything "special" would be required.

2) His/her number will be on your phone.

3) No (the contents from the fridge will be kept somewhere else in your room).

:eek: Sorry - Duplicate

I am gathering information for my first cruise on the Conquest on the Halloween cruise. I am grateful for all of the things that I have learned so far from these boards and hope that some of the seasoned cruisers can answer a few questions.:confused:

I read several of the many posts which discussed the steward, the overcharge and the $21 adjusted tip. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=183638 (for those who missed it)

1.) What is considered to be a minimum of acceptable service by a steward? Clean room & towels, etc?

2.) Do most stewards readily empty out the refrigerator/mini-bar upon request?

3.) How exactly do you page one if you do need something?

I know that I will get varied opinions:) but am trying to learn everything that I can to make our first cruise both memorable and enjoyable. I have noticed that they can be memorable without the enjoyable part:rolleyes:

Thanks for any and all comments.

1. Your steward will not only clean your room, but tidy it up several times during the day if you have left things all over, replenish the bathroom supplies, provide fresh towels and linens, turn down the beds at night. If you have any extra requests, like extra pillows or some glasses for your bottle of wine, or a forgotten toothbrush, your steward will help you. You should meet your steward at least once during the first 24 hours, and probably more often during the cruise, but the very best ones try to be unobtrusive. You go to breakfast, and 30 minutes later when you come back your bed is made. Take a nap one afternoon, and the bed will be remade when you come down to change for dinner. Your schedule can vary, and the best stewards somehow know you are getting up for a 5 am sunrise today but sleeping in til 10. tomorrow. (How, I don't know, but they do!!!) There was a great tipping guide article on the cruise critic first page yesterday; it will be in the archives if you look.

2. Their name and pager number will posted in your cabin near the phone.

3. There is no form, but if you do not need the fridge nor want its contents, you can ask the steward to lock it with his/her key and you have no worries. If you wish to use the fridge for your own things, explain this to the steward, have him remove the contents and place them up out of the way or in a drawer. Tell him that you will replace all of those items before dinner the last night for him, and ask if it will be necessary for him to verify it. He will likely say no, but be sure to tell him if you decide to drink a water or eat a snack after all. If you remove everything yourself and don't discuss it with your steward, he has no way of knowing if you intend to consume them or not.

Lastly, I love taking Post it notes to communicate with. When I first meet the steward, I explain if I have any special needs, the note will be right there on the mirror. I don't need to make lots of pager calls that way, because most things don't have to be handled right that moment. And if your steward does not introduce themselves by noon the first full day, by all means page them to say hello.

1. Your steward will not only clean your room, but tidy it up several times during the day if you have left things all over, replenish the bathroom supplies, provide fresh towels and linens, turn down the beds at night. You go to breakfast, and 30 minutes later when you come back your bed is made. Take a nap one afternoon, and the bed will be remade when you come down to change for dinner. Your schedule can vary, and the best stewards somehow know you are getting up for a 5 am sunrise today but sleeping in til 10. tomorrow. (How, I don't know, but they do!!!)

It sounds like you got an exceptional steward or the one we had on the Miracle may have been below par. Beds would only have been made once sometimes several hours after we were out. Ice not always refilled. Steward never really introduced himself.

Wow, I'm not sure I would want my Steward making up my bed 3-4 times a day. Once in the am and if we nap we usually semi make the bed and appreciate it if it gets straightened at night. I would get way too nervous if someone was running in everytime I left the cabin to put my hairbrush back on the vanity.

I don't think I would page my Steward just to introduce myself. If he's the friendly sort he'll do that, if he's not I don't want to force him to do something that goes against his personality. My mom was a waitress and tips put the food on our table and kept the roof over our heads. I will always tip well unless something really horrible happened. However, I think my biggest way of saying thank you is NOT to have the steward work any harder or be someone he/she is not.

I've read posts that say they leave a little extra tip for the room steward each day by leaving cash in the room for him. How would the steward know it was for him/her?

A good steward would NEVER touch that money unless it was handed to him/her directly OR it was the last day and you'd already debarked the ship (this avoids misunderstandings later). :)

I've jumped into my clothes early in the morning to get a coffee and danish and watch the sun come up and left several dollars in change on the desk as I left my cabin. Upon returning the cabin is completely cleaned and replenished and the change all neatly stacked (quarter stack, nickel stack, dime stack, etc.) on the desk. Some stewards are incredibly meticulous ! ! :D

It sounds like you got an exceptional steward or the one we had on the Miracle may have been below par. Beds would only have been made once sometimes several hours after we were out. Ice not always refilled. Steward never really introduced himself.
I would venture that your luck was sub-par. Have been on 5 cruises, different lines, and all stewards were this thorough. Some were more visible than others, some more chatty than others, but all were great. I sure hope that we did not just get really lucky 5 times in a row. (My lottery winnings would indicate we are not that lucky.)

I've read posts that say they leave a little extra tip for the room steward each day by leaving cash in the room for him. How would the steward know it was for him/her?
Leave it on the dresser in an envelope with your steward's name on it. They have tip envelopes at the purser's desk if you don't want to bring your own. Cash in the open is considered yours, not theirs.

We have from time to time left a few dollars in an envelope with the stewards name on it.Maybe a little note such as Nice job or loved the towell animal. I'm sure he or she knew it was ment for them and it was always taken. On the other hand I have had change stacked neatly on the vanity as well. We have been lucky and have always had great room stewards.

When we first board the 'boat', we head to the cabin. Our steward has always been in the hall somewhere. We make sure that he/she will be taking care of our room and smile and had them a $20. We have always had exceptional service. Of course we do this with our wait staff also.

I would venture that your luck was sub-par. Have been on 5 cruises, different lines, and all stewards were this thorough. Some were more visible than others, some more chatty than others, but all were great. I sure hope that we did not just get really lucky 5 times in a row. (My lottery winnings would indicate we are not that lucky.)

I have had the same luck.. always have a fabulous steward!!!!!!! I don't really need them to be in my face, but all have been completely accessible and available when needed. Most of the time, getting everything done without being seen. Hope my luck continues :D

Archived